May 2014 Moms

Will not fall asleep without a fight

This kid will not only not do asleep from drowsy, but he will not even fall asleep with simple holding, contact, rocking, etc. He requires swaddling, walking, paci, etc. And even then we still have to go through 5-15 minutes of horrid screaming. I would think he's overtired, but this is after only 30-45 minutes awake time. Longer and he's crying.

Anyone else have a kid who fights sleep like a champ?
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Will not fall asleep without a fight

• Yep. All day.

Tried and true is my carrier with white noise.
  • Yup. It's only recently gotten a little better. We've figured out that the vent fan for the stove and hair dryer white noise help to keep the crying before he actually falls asleep to a minimum. It didn't eliminate it but definitely shortened how long it lasts. He cannot take a nap without complaining about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. This just started the end of week 6 and has gotten worse since. We are at week 8 now and she wants to go to sleep. She even sucks and does everything she needs to fall asleep but as soon as she starts falling asleep she moves real quick and wakes herself up. We also have to bounce on the exercise ball or she's not happy. Best $10 I've ever spent. She needs some kind of background noise and I've found she'll fall asleep to the tv so I've been turning that on when I've been at it for a while just to keep myself from being frustrated. Just this week it has started taking 30-45 minutes to get her to sleep even though she's tired. I've found though that if I keep her really busy while she's awake she falls asleep faster. At night the bath really helps. Also once she is down and asleep she is waking up within a couple minutes to 30 minutes. She seems like she's been going through a growth spurt again though which is causing more gas and waking her up. Today she finally took a 2 hour nap. So I'm hoping this is just a phase!

• ns1ns1 member
    @Hbird05‌ I just requested DH get my ball out of the attic. I'll add that to my arsenal. And DS also only naps for a short time when set down. Although I can get a rare long nap in the bouncer.
  • lauralou3x3lauralou3x3 member
    edited July 2014
    Try the Sound Sleeper app. I'm obsessed with it. My girl doesn't put up a fight but gets squirmy and fussy when she's tired. I call this the baby whisperer! I bought the full version because you can put it on a timer or leave it on continuous. It also has a "sound" option that will listen for the baby to cry and then turn on a selected sound to soothe. My girl likes the ocean and womb sounds. It really does wonders!
  • This was our life from weeks 3-6. He would get overly tired at 5pm and fuss all night until he passed out at 9. It was a battle to get him to sleep. We would have to use all 5 S's. At 5 1/2-6 weeks it's like he flipped a switch. No more fussing for hours and will fall asleep on his own. How old is your LO? I bet it will pass with time. I felt like it was going to last forever and now looking back, it was only a few weeks and seems like NBD.
  • I have this issue also. DS cried and fought going to sleep for almost 2 hours. I felt so bad for him. He took about 3 naps in the day but they were all very short. He was fussy all day and I think he was overtired. He finally fell asleep after crying and fussing in his crib for about 20 min. That was at 9:45. I hope he sleeps for awhile. I'm exhausted.
  • This was us until about 7-8 weeks. He still fights it here and there but it's now as bad and we're not fighting with him anymore. Some naps he will fall asleep on his own, with none of the 5s. Of course those are cat naps! To get him to sleep a while I have to use the carrier.

Didn't really do anything special for the fights to stop except have more patience with him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ns1ns1 member
    @haylo33 DS is 6 weeks 2 days. I'm hoping it passes. It started for us around 3 weeks too. I think it's gotten worse now But really hope it's the growth spurt or developmental lap or something.
  • ns1 said:

@haylo33 DS is 6 weeks 2 days. I'm hoping it passes. It started for us around 3 weeks too. I think it's gotten worse now But really hope it's the growth spurt or developmental lap or something.

Everything I read said fussiness/colic peaks at 6 weeks. I'm sure you are at that peak and it will start to decline soon
  • babyaotwbabyaotw member
    edited July 2014
    smdukes said:

9 weeks here are still a hot mess to get her to sleep. She doesn't want to miss anything.

Same with my 9 weeker. He's been fighting sleep going on 2 hours now.
  • babyaotw said:

smdukes said:

9 weeks here are still a hot mess to get her to sleep. She doesn't want to miss anything.

Same with my 9 weeker. He's been fighting sleep going on 2 hours now.
    Ditto on the 9 weeker who is all of a sudden fighting sleep. Whole nap, feed, sleep schedule is off. Am trying to be patient.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"