C-sections

No shame in a c section

nickiclnickicl member
edited July 2014 in C-sections
Check out this article:
https://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/07/cesarean_births_pregnancy_doc_on_the_risks_and_rewards_of_c_section.html

Thoughts?

I've definitely experienced my share of rude or disheartening comments and struggled to feel good about the way it all went down at times.

I'm happy someone is talking about this.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: No shame in a c section

• I agree with c-sections are acceptable for medical reasons. I do not approve of elective c-section, which I did not have, mine was emergency because DDs cord was wrapped so tightly around her neck she couldn't come down.
  • Loading the player...
  • Honestly, feeling ashamed that you had a cs is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And nobody needs to justify how their baby came out. This is the same kind of thing as shaming mothers for not breastfeeding or not exclusively breastfeeding. Just another way to propagate mommy wars, us vs them, and holier than thou attitudes. Those who feel ashamed should get over, and those who shame others should shut the eff up and mind gheir own business...

Agree with everything you said but I wish it were that easy.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • nickiclnickicl member
    edited July 2014
    @mysticl‌ , people love to tell these stories and I have no doubts that there truly are hospitals and Dr who do this as well as other wrongs, but I have to figure, especially nowadays, that it is uncommon. 

Women are more aware of their options than ever before and they could say no or switch to new service providers. 

I also suspect that insurers might start raising questions and withdraw network support if the trends for particular providers were way out of the normal range. 

In any event, I'm not sure I understand the meaning or relevance to topic at hand. Are you saying the women who give birth via c section in those circumstances should be shamed?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • nickicl said:
    @mysticl‌ , people love to tell these stories and I have no doubts that there truly are hospitals and Dr who do this as well as other wrongs, but I have to figure, especially nowadays, that it is uncommon. 

Women are more aware of their options than ever before and they could say no or switch to new service providers. 

I also suspect that insurers might start raising questions and withdraw network support if the trends for particular providers were way out of the normal range. 

In any event, I'm not sure I understand the meaning or relevance to topic at hand. Are you saying the women who give birth via c section in those circumstances should be shamed?
    No their doctors should be.  I was just piggybacking on the person I quoted's comment about elective c-sections.  

As for switching providers it's not always that easy.  Where I currently live the hospital has a total VBAC ban. The closet place to have a VBAC is about an hour away. Some women do not want to make that trip for all of their prenatal care and are nervous about making that drive in labor.  Or they can't afford the gas money and to take that much time out of work for their appointments.  Also, it requires you to cross state lines and not all insurances allow you to seek care in another state.  
  • mysticl said:

I agree with c-sections are acceptable for medical reasons. I do not approve of elective c-section, which I did not have, mine was emergency because DDs cord was wrapped so tightly around her neck she couldn't come down.

In a different forum a woman was telling me she has worked in two hospitals where the doctors push women to have c-sections so they can be scheduled at their (the doctor's) convenience. As a result very few babies were born Friday-Sunday, at night, or on holidays. I personally think that should be considered malpractice.   
    They also get paid more.

• nickiclnickicl member
    edited July 2014
    mysticl said:
    nickicl said:

No their doctors should be.  I was just piggybacking on the person I quoted's comment about elective c-sections.  

As for switching providers it's not always that easy.  Where I currently live the hospital has a total VBAC ban. The closet place to have a VBAC is about an hour away. Some women do not want to make that trip for all of their prenatal care and are nervous about making that drive in labor.  Or they can't afford the gas money and to take that much time out of work for their appointments.  Also, it requires you to cross state lines and not all insurances allow you to seek care in another state.  

Not saying its easy to seek alternatives, just that some may.. In any case, sorry if a small number of Dr. And hospitals are giving a bad name.

I have no problem with elective c sections either, but I do support a woman's choice.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly, feeling ashamed that you had a cs is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. And nobody needs to justify how their baby came out. This is the same kind of thing as shaming mothers for not breastfeeding or not exclusively breastfeeding. Just another way to propagate mommy wars, us vs them, and holier than thou attitudes. Those who feel ashamed should get over, and those who shame others should shut the eff up and mind gheir own business...
    Agree completely.  Had an ecs with my first and will have an rcs with this one.  I have actually had people ask me if I'm ok with another cs (sad face and everything)...  Are you kidding me?  Yep, totally fine with it.  Actually makes things slightly easier for planning with lo and dh for the birth. 

It just makes me mad there is still this sigma about cs. 
  • Love how confident you ladies are in your decisions and experiences.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was all set for a VBAC with my 3rd after an ECS with my 2nd. All things considered I was a perfect candidate, but when it came down to the wire, a lot of things piled on top of each other and both my doctor and I felt the best option was a RCS.

Of course, I was upset. It wasn't what I wanted going in, but it seemed the moment I expressed any negative feelings (not doubt just some disappointment), I was suddenly on the defensive about the decision my DH and I had made with my doctor.

Meanwhile, if I expressed any concerns/nerves about a VBAC I got nothing but encouragement. That was the hardest part of my decision for a RCS. It was like all my support suddenly disappeared.

Thank goodness I did have some support to get me through the week of nerves leading up to it.
    DD- 11/17/08, DD- 11/16/09, DS- 3/20/13 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I have no shame about having a CS.  It wasn't like it was something I chose, it was something that was necessary. DD was breech and they inaccurately predicted that she was about 10 lbs, so they didn't recommend trying to turn her.  I also could care less what people think about it.  I look at her birth as a beautiful experience.

BFP: 1.19.2013 - EDD: 10.2.2013 - It's a girl! 9.25.13: Welcome Addison!

• I've often felt ..different. Not necessarily ashamed but perhaps a touch of it. I am the only female in my family, and my husbands, that had to have a CS. I never felt robbed of any experience, but I did feel like a whimp when after 16 hours of early labor and no sleep for 2 days prior due to a sinus infection - - I asked for an epidural. It was taking forever and I was exhausted. I thought if they could ease the contractions I could nap until labor really started. (No joke)  My mom, MIL, and SIL's all did it naturally so I felt like I had to keep that as a my dirty little secret. Everyone kept asking me why I had to have a CS and maybe it was the truth that DS was breech that held off any judgement.... at least to my face. I wouldn't want to know if my family looked down on me.
  • aditigirl said:

I agree, no shame in a CS. How a woman gives birth doesn't matter. In the end she is still a mother.
    I am having an ECS for my first for no medical reasons and I feel nothing but joy and relief over it.

You're an idiot. But this has been established.
    WTF?
  • aditigirl said:
    I agree, no shame in a CS. How a woman gives birth doesn't matter. In the end she is still a mother. I am having an ECS for my first for no medical reasons and I feel nothing but joy and relief over it.
    I would take a vaginal birth any day over a c-section, it was painful and scary and the recovery was awful. I cried in the operating room almost the whole time.  I couldn't get out of bed for 2 days and I was catheterized. I couldn't walk without help for a week. When I coughed or sneezed it was complete agony. So cheers, enjoy!  
    Finally, a voice of reason. Most sane people don't choose an elective c-section 'just because'.
    Right?? If it was supposed to be a walk in the park, I guess I didn't get that memo.
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• I had a c-section and as a result I have a healthy baby girl. I had pre-e and she was breech.

People have good and bad experiences with c-sections and with vaginal birth. If someone wants to have a c-section- who the fuck cares?! Let them!

I had a great experience! I will absolutely have another c-section if/when I have another baby.

c-section shame is ridiculous. I can't believe this is even a thing.. For anyone to make you feel inferior about a c-section needs a bracing reality check.

• I agree with c-sections are acceptable for medical reasons. I do not approve of elective c-section, which I did not have, mine was emergency because DDs cord was wrapped so tightly around her neck she couldn't come down.

Oh, you don't approve? Well then it's a good thing it isn't your business and has no bearing on your life.

I chose a c-section for my second child's birth, because the birth of my first child was a total nightmare. The c-section was a much better experience and if we were to have another child, I'd schedule one again. 

Not your body, not your business.

Good for you. I didn't ask if anyone was having a CS bc I don't want it to be MY business. I was giving my experience and my opinion, since op asked for thoughts so I gave mine. I don't care if you had one or not, but I still don't approve unless there was a medical reason involved. I'm not shaming anyone for having a CS I said I don't approve. So shut up.
  • aditigirl said:
    I don't shame people by calling them insane for choosing something that I don't agree with.

So you're trying to tell me that you think it's totes cool that the OP wants to elect to have a csection because she "doesn't think she's brave enough" to have a vaginal birth? You don't find that insane?
    The original post didn't say anything like that.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bitsybubbles7bitsybubbles7 member
    edited August 2014
    aditigirl said:
    I don't shame people by calling them insane for choosing something that I don't agree with.

So you're trying to tell me that you think it's totes cool that the OP wants to elect to have a csection because she "doesn't think she's brave enough" to have a vaginal birth? You don't find that insane?
    No, I don't find it insane.  I am clearly in the minority but I honestly don't give a damn how someone else delivers their child.  I would have been down with an elective c/s.  I was actually relieved when I ended up needing a c/s (save the scary situation involved) because I had zero desire to deliver any other way.  

FTR- my recovery was amazing.  I was walking within 12 hours and didn't need anything beyond ibuprofen after 24 hours.  So yeah.  Cheers, I did enjoy it.  I doesn't make me any less of a woman or a mom.  
    MarlaSinger& you literally took the words out of my mouth.  By the time they decided to do an emergancy c/s with my first, I was relieved and didn't much care how he came out.  When my doctor told me a rcs was my best option with this pregnancy, I was fully on board.  I know everyone recovers differently, but I also had a pretty easy recovery.  Walking within 12 hours and I think I was off pain meds by the 3rd day at home.

Edit to add - When it comes down to it, it is really no one's business how you deliver your baby. 

• aditigirl said:
    ------------------------ FTR- I never said or implied that having a csection makes someone less of a woman or a mom. But i stand by the fact that the OP is an idiot. I'm glad you were happy with your csection.
    Can you please refer back to the OP?  I think you're mixing up two different people.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • aditigirl said:
     But i stand by the fact that the OP is an idiot. .
    Huh?  I went back through this post.  The OP was nothing of the sort.  

• aditigirl said:

For an elective c-section, yes that's dumb therefore, idiot!
  • aditigirl said:
    For an elective c-section, yes that's dumb therefore, idiot!
    OP wasn't the one who said she was going for one.  
  • nickicl said:
    Check out this article: https://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/07/cesarean_births_pregnancy_doc_on_the_risks_and_rewards_of_c_section.html Thoughts? I've definitely experienced my share of rude or disheartening comments and struggled to feel good about the way it all went down at times. I'm happy someone is talking about this.
    This was the OP...