Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Magee - What to Bring

Hi Ladies!

I typically post on my birth month board but figured that this would be a better place to ask this question.  I'm putting together hospital bags and am just wondering what Magee has on hand... especially for babies and postpartum needs.  

Thanks! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Magee - What to Bring

• Options
    asm07asm07 member
    I just had my LO there in February. For baby they provide pampers (they give you just a few at a time, so you have to ask for more when you need them.), onesies if you don't have your own clothes, and a Halo sleep sack/swaddling blanket. They also have a few little things like little packets of Vaseline and Johnson & Johnson shampoo. For me they provided all medications including things like the numbing spray, tucks hemmorhoid wipes, a peri bottle and sitz bath. They also gave me pairs of mesh underwear and thick pads, though I preferred to use my own. Before we left the hospital I asked for some extra spray and tucks pads to take home, which they had no problem giving me.

Make sure you bring your own toiletry items like shampoo, soap, deodorant and toothbrush/toothpaste. They may have some, but they didn't offer it to me. I brought night gowns but mostly wore loose shorts/sweatpants and a t shirt. You might want a pair of slippers, too. I brought socks, but after walking around in my room and bathroom, they felt really dirty to me. I also suggest bringing a couple of your own pillows since theirs aren't very comfortable.

These are the big things I can remember off the top of my head. Have you done the hospital tour yet? If not, I highly recommend signing up for it. They'll show you the rooms and give you a good idea of how the entire process will work once you get there.

Best of luck and congrats on your soon to be new addition! :-)
  • Options
    asm07 said:
    I just had my LO there in February. For baby they provide pampers (they give you just a few at a time, so you have to ask for more when you need them.), onesies if you don't have your own clothes, and a Halo sleep sack/swaddling blanket. They also have a few little things like little packets of Vaseline and Johnson & Johnson shampoo. For me they provided all medications including things like the numbing spray, tucks hemmorhoid wipes, a peri bottle and sitz bath. They also gave me pairs of mesh underwear and thick pads, though I preferred to use my own. Before we left the hospital I asked for some extra spray and tucks pads to take home, which they had no problem giving me. Make sure you bring your own toiletry items like shampoo, soap, deodorant and toothbrush/toothpaste. They may have some, but they didn't offer it to me. I brought night gowns but mostly wore loose shorts/sweatpants and a t shirt. You might want a pair of slippers, too. I brought socks, but after walking around in my room and bathroom, they felt really dirty to me. I also suggest bringing a couple of your own pillows since theirs aren't very comfortable. These are the big things I can remember off the top of my head. Have you done the hospital tour yet? If not, I highly recommend signing up for it. They'll show you the rooms and give you a good idea of how the entire process will work once you get there. Best of luck and congrats on your soon to be new addition! :-)
    Thanks for the helpful advice!  We did do the hospital tour (twice actually - once with our lamaze class), so I have a general idea of what to expect.  I wasn't sure though on the specifics (like do I need to pack onesies?).  I will probably be overpacked, but that's pretty normal for me, haha.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    asm07asm07 member
    jendem8 said:

asm07 said:

I just had my LO there in February. For baby they provide pampers (they give you just a few at a time, so you have to ask for more when you need them.), onesies if you don't have your own clothes, and a Halo sleep sack/swaddling blanket. They also have a few little things like little packets of Vaseline and Johnson & Johnson shampoo. For me they provided all medications including things like the numbing spray, tucks hemmorhoid wipes, a peri bottle and sitz bath. They also gave me pairs of mesh underwear and thick pads, though I preferred to use my own. Before we left the hospital I asked for some extra spray and tucks pads to take home, which they had no problem giving me.

Make sure you bring your own toiletry items like shampoo, soap, deodorant and toothbrush/toothpaste. They may have some, but they didn't offer it to me. I brought night gowns but mostly wore loose shorts/sweatpants and a t shirt. You might want a pair of slippers, too. I brought socks, but after walking around in my room and bathroom, they felt really dirty to me. I also suggest bringing a couple of your own pillows since theirs aren't very comfortable.

These are the big things I can remember off the top of my head. Have you done the hospital tour yet? If not, I highly recommend signing up for it. They'll show you the rooms and give you a good idea of how the entire process will work once you get there.

Best of luck and congrats on your soon to be new addition! :-)

Thanks for the helpful advice!  We did do the hospital tour (twice actually - once with our lamaze class), so I have a general idea of what to expect.  I wasn't sure though on the specifics (like do I need to pack onesies?).  I will probably be overpacked, but that's pretty normal for me, haha.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. I definitely overpacked, but I felt better knowing I had everything just in case. I didn't bother to put our baby in any of the clothes I brought until the day we left the hospital. I did pack onesies but never ended up using them. Some moms prefer to have baby in their own clothes though.

One thing I forgot- I'm not sure when you're due, but I'm assuming soon since you're packing your bags. When we were there in February the rooms were SO hot since we couldn't adjust the temperature. My husbands stayed with me and wished he had packed lighter clothes to sleep in.
  • Options
    They do have slipper socks there if you need them, and adult toiletries if you ask as well. They also have Medela breast pumps and parts. Let's see, what else... I brought my own huge water bottle, clothes, and my pillow. Blankets and clothes for DS (they have plenty of receiving blankets obviously, but I had some special hand knitted ones I wanted to use). Oh, I also love the adult flushable bathroom wipes, look for some with witch hazel, they help you heal faster! 

I don't know if they mentioned on your tour, but you can order a second meal to you room for $7, but it's cash only, so if you decide to go that route make sure you have plenty of cash! We would just give the person delivering our food a 10 each time, and after about the third meal, our trays started showing up with extra cookies, ice cream, packets of pretzels, etc. 

One thing I would not bother with is a boppy/nursing pillow. They are so hard to use in hospital beds! I would just use a regular pillow for a while. Definitely think about what you're bringing, because at some point you have to carry it all in and back out, which is easier said than done while you're in labor and with your brand new baby!
  • Options
    We definitely had wipes, they were some kind of Pampers as well, I don't remember if they were regular or sensitive
  • Options
    I'm packing a travel container of Pampers sensitive wipes... just in case!  I'm also going to look into bringing a small fan.  The rooms were warm when we were on our tour, and I like to sleep in colder temps.  The lamaze teacher recommended bringing a fan.

I can't believe the food is cash only and that no one mentioned it!  Good to know!

Others have told me that a boppy is a must, so it's interesting to hear that you think it's not.  I'll have to see how much crap I have and decide from there.

Did your SOs stay with you?  Did they need sheets for the chair/bed?
  • Options
    You may want to also pack your own soft toilet paper and towels as both seemed to feel like sandpaper to me.

my hero wears kevlar Pictures, Images and Photos

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    There are very uncomfortable pull out chairs in the recovery room, and they supply linens for them. It was so hot in our room too that we really didn't need much in the way of linens anyway. A little fan is a good idea.

There is also a cafeteria and the cafe as well, which have pretty limited hours. The food is better, but it also costs more, and you have to go down and get it. There is an ATM down by the cafeteria but I feel like it cost me about $4 to use it. Really it's easier to order food to the room.

I am a super light packer in general, so I definitely tried to skip most things, like the boppy (I found it hard with a tiny babe anyway, they kind of sink into the round part, I thought a regular pillow was easier), towels (the hospital ones definitely suck, but it's only 2 days, ya know?), a ton of clothes and stuff for myself (I had my phone, kindle, and camera), and I really didn't bring anything for DS other than a few outfits and the blankets I mentioned. Everything we needed besides my pillow fit into a regular size backpack, and we also had DS's diaper bag to come home. Like I said, you have to haul it all in and back out, and it's a giant pain. The hospital keeps a lot of things, they are well equipped for babies  ;-)  Anyway, if you decide you really need something, it seems like we had family coming and going all the time and they were happy to bring things for us. 
  • Options
    wesleycrusherwesleycrusher member
    edited July 2014
    You may want to also pack your own soft toilet paper and towels as both seemed to feel like sandpaper to me.
    YES was just coming to say this, I wish I had some super soft TP while I was there!

Also- flip flops to go home in.  My feet were so swollen from the fluids that I couldn't get my sneakers on. 

Honestly, I hardly had anything, I didn't have my hospital bag packed when I went (I was sent there from dr's appointment at 36 weeks), so I didn't have time to think about it and just had DH throw some stuff together.  Worked out fine. 
  • Options
    That's why I brought the wipes! I don't think I even used tp for a few days after I was home, only to blot dry ;-)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"