May 2014 Moms

Finding Mommy Support Groups? Suggestions?

I've been in this area for almost a year and don't have local friends really due to being a hermit with studying, pregnancy, baby, etc. I need local friends - serious extrovert here. For those of you enjoying support groups, how'd you go about finding one? I could use an EP support group too! (if there is such an animal lol)

Re: Finding Mommy Support Groups? Suggestions?

• Meetup is great for finding groups local to your area.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I googled breastfeeding support group and found that there were a number of hospitals around me that have breastfeeding or "new mom"s (ie, not specifically BF) groups. I ended up going to two different groups while on leave, one was at my OB's hospital for all new moms, and another BF group closer to my house. At both groups the nurses and LCs were helpful with all sorts of questions regarding feeding, pumping, and just general new baby care. 

Actually if anyone is in Chicago metro here's a list

All that aside I've moved a few times in my adult life and I know that it can be hard to get to find friends. I hope you start to feel more at home soon. 

image   image
                                                          Baby Girl born May 16, 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • cbrustcbrust member
    I will second meet up! I'm newish to my area too and have no mommy friends. I joined a group last week and have already been to two events-a walk and an infant "play date."
  • This is going to sound so weird, but my local cloth diaper store has a bi-weekly knitting/crochet group that welcomes babes in arms. It's a nice way to get out and meet other people that share my interests (cloth diapers and crochet. lol)

You should check out locally own children/baby stores and see if they have anything like that for moms to meet up.

Also, we have provincially run "Early Years Centers" in all cities, they run play groups and support meet-ups and stuff. Look into your local health unit to see if they run anything like that (and also breast feeding support - my local city runs BF clinics, I've seen LC's 3 times through the city health unit run clinic)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I'm not sure where you live but you can try Facebook. I have found a few moms groups in my area. They have a monthly breakfast where everyone brings a dish and their baby. You can also check your area for post natal and baby yoga classes.
  • fraseyfrasey member
    I second local fb groups.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• britabbritab member
    Church, Facebook groups, Baby group at hospital
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My new mom group is through my hospital and I love it! DD's not old enough for play dates so I couldn't find anything on meetup for her age group. We've started an exercise group from the new mom group too. We walk the mall since it's so hot here. It's been a lifesaver since I am in the same boat and don't know anyone in the area except husbands family.
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • Finding mommy friends has been so helpful for me!

If you search google groups you may be able to find a local list serve. I found 2 for my area, one neighborhood specific and one for the whole city. It has been great, I've already gone to two infant meet ups, it's great to get out and talk about our babies!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

BFP #1 Jan. 2011 - mmc Mar. 2011 
    BFP #2 Aug. 2011 - My sleeping angel Stella, born April 21, 2012 
    BFP #3 Nov. 2012 - mmc Dec. 2012
    BFP #4 April 2013 - mc May 2013
    BFP #5 Sept. 2013 - EDD 5.24.14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"