Babies: 0 - 3 Months

12 weeks to 12 hours

Anyone using this book? Following the advise? It seems interesting but I have some issues/questions. For instance it says breast feeding sessions should only last 30 mins altogether (both sides and burping) how do you know/make the baby eat enough in that time?

Re: 12 weeks to 12 hours

• MrsMuq said:
    Anyone using this book? Following the advise? It seems interesting but I have some issues/questions. For instance it says breast feeding sessions should only last 30 mins altogether (both sides and burping) how do you know/make the baby eat enough in that time?
    You can't. You let your baby, assuming LO is less than 12wo, nurse on demand.

It's complete BS in my opinion, that you can "train" a 12wo to sleep 12 hours straight.

DS had dropped his MOTN feeding at week 8. I'm not going to claim he slept for 12 hours straight, but he didn't wake up from 9pm-6am to eat. You may not be able to "train" them to sleep that long, but you can teach them to get back to sleep without eating in the MOTN.
  • Any tips on how to train them to put themselves to sleep? I'm only at week 4 and he's a great baby, usually gives us 4 hours between feedings. I just want to start good habits now that will make things easier later. Like now he falls asleep breastfeeding, I know I should try "puting him to sleep awake" but I would have to wake him to do that and in the middle of the night that seems awful!
  • Loading the player...
  • MrsMuq said:
    MrsMuq said:
    You can't. You let your baby, assuming LO is less than 12wo, nurse on demand.

It's complete BS in my opinion, that you can "train" a 12wo to sleep 12 hours straight.

DS had dropped his MOTN feeding at week 8. I'm not going to claim he slept for 12 hours straight, but he didn't wake up from 9pm-6am to eat. You may not be able to "train" them to sleep that long, but you can teach them to get back to sleep without eating in the MOTN.
    Please stop. Your child at that age, still needs to eat in the MOTN. If your LO is eating in the MOTN, he's hungry, not looking for kicks.

Stop giving FTMs this horrible piece of advice, constantly. Please.

Our pediatrician has no problems with this and DS was always in the normal ranges for weight gain so I have no concerns about him being hungry.  As I said in the other thread that you also disagreed with me on, I never once denied my child food, I just make sure they're hungry before I automatically stick a boob in their mouth. Over time in the evening that stretches out so they are going longer stretches without nursing. Simply because it doesn't work for some doesn't mean it won't work for others. 

OP, if you're interested, we use the methods from Moms on Call. They explain it all really well. It's a really popular method and resource in my area. 
  • Any book that suggests limiting and/or scheduling breastfeeding needs to be ignored.  Babies are not biologically hard wired to sleep 12 hours at 12 weeks - sure you can try to force it (and maybe they'll do it naturally) but it's just not "normal"…or good for your breastfeeding relationship.
  • flclflcl member
    OP: These ladies are right, the only thing you need to worry about right now is responding to your LO's cues.  FWIW, every once in awhile, I get stuck in a loop, worrying that I'm building bad habits with my guy (it's usually after talking to friends who are pushing me to sleep train or to introduce formula).  Once I let that thought go and listen to LO, I find that the stress goes away and I can really enjoy him.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"