January 2015 Moms

Favorite Wet/Dry Bags for Cloth Diapering??

I know we've had a few posts already about CDing and I know there is a whole board dedicated...but I thought I would ask those STM for their opinions:) 

We are pretty sure we are going to CD and I was curious about your favorite wet/dry bags.  I know there are some that snap to the outside of the diaper bag, others that line a diaper pail, etc.  I wasn't planning on getting a diaper pail per se (or do you think it's a necessity??)...but was curious about your favorite brands, how many of which sizes you have?  How often do you wash them?  Do they really keep the smell in if they are snapped to the outside of the diaper bag, etc.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Favorite Wet/Dry Bags for Cloth Diapering??

• I use Planetwise bags. They have a dry front zipper section and a "wet" zipper section. When I take diapers to my stepmom for the day, they are in the front section and as they get used, they get put in the "wet" section. I have 3 bags in rotation. Once 2 days go by and 2 bags are used, I do diaper laundry. The bags get unzipped, and the contents dumped in the washer with the bags as well. Everything gets washed. 
    Stephanie Ella ~ 6/15/2012
  • Wonderful question! Planet Wise brand, hands down. Here's what I did for 2.5 years with my son:

In his room, I bought a brown trash can with a step that opens the lid. I think it is 10-14 gal? Buy two planetwise pail liners. They come in lovely rainbow colors. One for the diaper pail, one to use while it's in the wash. When you go to wash diapers every two or three days, the pail liner goes in too so you never touch the diapers.

As for wetbags, I have one large that I would use while at my parents house or the cabin for the weekend. It will hold 3 days worth of diapers. (I now use it for a dirty clothes bag on weekends away.) To go in the diaper bag, I had two medium sized ones that I rotated. You can fit four diapers or so in the medium, plus dirty clothes if needed. I have one small sized one I used for breast pump parts when I had to pump and couldn't wash everything out right away.

I also have two medium wet/dry bags with a separate dry pouch on the outside. When he was starting solids, I used it to carry his silicone eating mat and bib to restaurants. When they were dirty, I'd put them in the wetbag part and clean them at home for next time. I now use the wet/dry bag in my purse. I keep a change of underwear and pants in it in case of accidents while we're out.

They are super handy!
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I use Planetwise as well.  I use the medium wet/dry bags that YaMrWhite described when I'm out and for daycare.  I have a large hanging wetbag that hangs off the doorknob of his bathroom which is where I spray his diapers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Sorry, I just reread your questions. Yes, they keep the smell in just fine. I always kept the wet bag inside the diaper bag. Yes, you will want a diaper pail, but a step trash can works great. No smell if you wash every other day.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world. ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @YaMrWhite-Which size(s) do you have?  Also, I've been meaning to ask you!  I think we might get the best bottoms like you use...the complete pack comes with 18 inserts for each size.  Is that enough in your use?  Would we need to buy extra inserts in opinion?  Thanks for helping this first-timer, I really appreciate it!!

BabyFetus Ticker

• YaMrWhite said:
    I use Planetwise bags. They have a dry front zipper section and a "wet" zipper section. When I take diapers to my stepmom for the day, they are in the front section and as they get used, they get put in the "wet" section. I have 3 bags in rotation. Once 2 days go by and 2 bags are used, I do diaper laundry. The bags get unzipped, and the contents dumped in the washer with the bags as well. Everything gets washed. 
    This kind?
    Yep the large ones!
  • @YaMrWhite-Which size(s) do you have?  Also, I've been meaning to ask you!  I think we might get the best bottoms like you use...the complete pack comes with 18 inserts for each size.  Is that enough in your use?  Would we need to buy extra inserts in opinion?  Thanks for helping this first-timer, I really appreciate it!!
    I honestly can't remember how often I was changing DD's diaper when she was a newborn but it sounds pretty common to go through about 10-14 diapers a day around then. Nowadays I go through about 8-9 a day. So, while 18 is enough to get you through a day, you'd need to do laundry more often so I would recommend getting another 10 or so small inserts JUST to be sure you have enough. The awesome thing about cloth (and the BestBottoms system) is you can resell so when the smalls no longer fit, you can sell them off. I am in a BestBottoms cloth diaper swap/sell group on FB and have bought and sold there. https://www.facebook.com/groups/239247336107509/

You could always buy a few extra there. They retain their value pretty well for when you sell which is a plus too. I know it sounds gross to buy used diapers and such but I have never had issues. I always wash and sun the inserts and covers before I use them and make sure I buy from someone with feedback and that lists their diapers and inserts as stain free. 
  • We tried a diaper pail, but I ended up liking a trash can instead. I made my own liners and wet bags so they custom fit my needs. I wash ours daily so we don't need as many diapers and never have a smell issue.
  • edited July 2014
    I use an XL hanging wet bag to hold the dirty diapers. It hangs off her changing table. One full bag = a decent sized wash load. I love my hanging bags. They go right in the wash with the diapers.

For out of the house I have a few cheaper off brand wet bags. They hold 5-6 diapers.

I use planet wise for the hanging bags because they take the most abuse (and seem better quality) and have some China made smaller ones for the diaper bag. (I'm a SAHM so they don't get used as much.)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't do a diaper pail per se.  I got a big plastic tub (like for pet food) that has a latch and is odor proof.  We throw the CDs in there.  We have 2 wet bags.  I was gifted a Bummis one, which works fine, and the other brand is Itzy Ritzy since that's what I could get in a store (BuyBuyBaby carries them).  I prefer the Bummis.

I do have a Planetwise for Momma Cloth stuff and those bags are AWESOME.  Maybe with 2.0 on the way I can convince DH I need a Planetwise CD bag... haha.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KJsbabeKJsbabe member
    edited July 2014
    I have a whole mix of different wet bags. I have two small ones that I got for cheap on eBay, Bububibi brand. I rotate them in my diaper bag and they're big enough to hold 2-3 diapers. Then, I have a medium bag from Bububibi and another from Leslie's Boutique. They are good for day trips and hold 8-10 diapers. Then, I have two xl bags or pail liners, one from Kissaluvs with elastic and one from Grovia with a drawstring. I think some sort of diaper pail is a must. I have a garbage can with a flip top.

All of the bags get the job done, but my faves are the Leslie's Boutique bag and the Kissaluvs pail liner. The only bag I don't recommend, I used to have a Rumparooz Kanga Care bag. The bag itself was nice, but the zipper broke in less than a year with pretty light use.

ETA: To answer your other questions, I prefer zippers to snaps. I wash the bags along with the diapers. When ever one gets used, ie gets a diaper put in it, I toss it in with the dirty diapers. I wash every other day, so two of each size works well for me.
    photo e9455f4d-9751-469e-a19f-460104cd2e5c.jpg photo jan15.jpg
    BFP #1 5/20/10 Natural MC at 5w4d 5/28/10
    BFP #2 11/3/10; BO at u/s 10w6d 12/16/10; Natural MC 1/7/11; D&C 4/21/11
    BFP #3 10/27/11 Please stick, LO!! 2/6/12 It's a Girl! Alexis Grace born 6/29/12
    BFP#4 4/27/14 Stick, stick, stick!! 8/11/14 It's a Boy! Evan Wesley born 1/8/15
    "Patience is waiting. Not passively waiting. That is laziness. But to keep going when the going is hard and slow, that is patience."  Let it Be (blog)My BFP Charts
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    This time I'm not leaving without you.
  • Planet wise all the way! Also Alva wet/dry bags are good too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"