May 2014 Moms
Options

Baby choked on his on throw up and wasn't breathing!

This was the second time it happened. It was so mucousy that it was stuck when it came out of his mouth and nose. I had to use the bulb/sucky thing to get it all loose from his mouth and nose.
It was so scary and I'm afraid it's going to happen again.
Does anyone have any experience with this?

Re: Baby choked on his on throw up and wasn't breathing!

• Options
    A good thing to remember is if the child is coughing it is a positive. Means that nothing is blocking the airway and you have to give it a moment to clear itself out. It is only when they are not making any sound/breathing that you will know their airway is blocked.
  • Options
    My LO was throwing up mucus, but that was when he was a few days old while we were in the hospital. He was turning purple because he was gagging. It totally freaked me out. Thank goodness the nurse was in my room at the time, so she was able to turn him over and tap his back to get it all out. The nurse said this is completely normal with c section babies. Because they didn't pass through the birthing canal they have mucus still inside they need to get up.

So I'm not sure if that's how your situation is. But just know I understand how scary it really it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jsaffer01‌ ds did that and he was a vaginal birth. Scared the living daylights out of him as he was laying with him. Luckily our mw said it will happen at some point. Poor dh and you! Not a good feeling that fear.

Ds on occasion chokes when he spits up as it gets in his nose too and fights it. It only happens when he is awake. He gets red then cries. Once I hear the cry I know his airway is open but I get him up right and calm him down as I think it just more startles airways annoys him then actually hurts.

What was the lead up to the choke? Eating then being put down? No big burp? Sorry it happened . I know how scary it can be. Their gag reflex does improve over time. I don't know old your LO is as I am on mobile.
  • Options
    @Craved1‌ yup. I know that. I am certified first aid and CPR.
    Unfortunately, my child wasn't breathing either time. The vomit was so thick that it is in his throat and hanging out if his mouth at the sane time:(
    I feel like I should call the dr today to see what they think about it.
  • Options
    @jsaffer01‌ not a c-section baby, but definitely the same situation.

@jennish11‌ he does have reflux and they have him on Zantac and told me to put cereal in any pumped/formula bottles(surprised that they suggested that).

@florassecret‌ he is 5 weeks. He has a bottle (I'm supplementing) before it happened both times. I sit him up to burp him, he burps, throws up and chokes on it. I got it out with a burp cloth and then used the bulb on his mouth and nose. It was so scary and I couldn't fall asleep right after. I feel like I needed a turkey baster there was so much throw up!
  • Options
    Sounds like he might be getting too much or needs more burping. Do you burp in between ounces?

Ds went through a bad spell around that time. Now it's on occasion when milk is on top of am air bubble. I also give him breaks now in between sides. He finishes one so I sit and chat with him and if he wants the second side in a bit he can have it. I found that helped tremendously and improved his efficiency :)
  • Options
    @florasecret honestly, sometimes I burp in between and sometimes he won't let me. He screams so much because he saves to eat which causes more throw up. He is a piggy and he chugs everytime like he hasn't eaten in years. I try to take breaks so he catches his breath.

• Options
    So I called the dr and the nurse suggested him sleeping with a humidifier, little bits of pedialyte to cut the mucous, saline spray in his nose and sleeping up-right(which he does).

Thanks for all if your comments and help!
  • Options
    DS choked on remnant amniotic fluid the first night in the hospital. He was asleep in his baby bed, let out a cough, then a couple gasps, then was quiet, rigid, head lifted, and turned purple. No breathing. Had to give him back blows over my knee while they called a nurse. Then, we suctioned for 3 minutes until it all came out. Was a horrifying experience. Agree with PP, coughing is a great sign and you shouldn't interfere with a coughing child, as you could make it worse.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @Marcella05‌ yes, I agree, but unfortunately my child wasn't coughing either time. He went right to not breathing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"