May 2014 Moms

Pumped milk smells/tastes gross

LO will be 7 weeks in two days. We tried giving her a bottle of pumped milk from my freezer stash for the first topi me tonight and she kept spitting it out. I was curious so I tried it and it tasted nasty! And smelled bad too. I am confident in my storage technique and looked on Kellymom for advice. It seems to be a lipase issue and I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through something similar and if there is a remedy. I need her to take a bottle so I can perform in a show in august. I'm planning to try to pump and give her fresh milk to see if she'll take the bottle then.

Welcomed our rainbow baby 5/20/2014! It's a girl!

Re: Pumped milk smells/tastes gross

• mmksmmks member
    I'm pretty sure you can scald the milk before you freeze it to prevent this. Kellymom should have more info on this. I suspect I have the same issue, but since I'm staying home it's not a big concern of mine.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Is it soapy tasting/ smelling? Baby may not mind it. Mine doesn't at least. I did a couple test bottles to see if it would bother her and she stil ate it. I wanted to try that before I went through the hassle of scalding it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have excess lipase. Found out when DS kept spitting it out. Easy fix: You bring the milk just to a boil before freezing it.

How long it can be stored in the fridge before your baby will reject it is specific to you and baby. I could get away without treating mine unless I froze it, my friend had 24 hrs of fridge time before her lipase did its thing.

Kellymom has more info. Type in excess lipase in their search thing.

Also, if baby will take the milk, it is ok to drink. Some will tolerate the taste.

AND if your baby won't take the milk, you can likely donate it to a milk bank and help a baby in need. I donated 50oz that I had frozen for DS before I found out.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• QOTRQOTR member
    @Junebug060609‌, I'm not familiar with this lipase issue, but if your baby wouldn't drink it, how could the milk bank use it? Are some babies more sensitive to it?

I'm going to thaw a bag today and try it out. I'd hate to discover in a month that my entire stash should have been scalded.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • QOTR said:

@Junebug060609‌, I'm not familiar with this lipase issue, but if your baby wouldn't drink it, how could the milk bank use it? Are some babies more sensitive to it?

I'm going to thaw a bag today and try it out. I'd hate to discover in a month that my entire stash should have been scalded.

Some babies don't mind it and others are pickier. It's kinda like some people like cheese and others don't. It's all a preference.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• sws684sws684 member
    I posted this a few weeks ago with EXACT same issue. If soapy smell, lipase. My was fishy.. Likely a DHA supplement issue. LO doesn't mind so I got her to drink it. Voila!
  • Slightly random, but can cows have too much lipase too? Would totally explain why the (raw) milk from this one farm near us occasionally tastes soapy even when it is very fresh and we are confident their bottling is done properly. Maybe they have one cow who makes too much lipase? Or not ...
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"