Minnesota Babies

Would you...?

Would you hire a doula for a planned (medically necessary) c-section?

Just curious.  I planned to use one when I thought I was going for a natural birth, and OH wants me to still consider it, but I'm not sure if it would still be beneficial/worth the expense? I took a HypnoBabies class and intend to use those techniques to relax in the OR, but I have to admit I am still a little apprehensive about having surgery.  But OH is an awesome support for me, and not sure a doula I've just met would add anything extra aside from maybe a bit more attention with breastfeeding after the fact.  I'm not the type to want a blow-by-blow of what's happening with the surgery, I mainly just want to zone out in my happy place until they hand me our baby, iykwim?

Re: Would you...?

• No, most hospitals only allow one support person in the OR and recovery area.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine allows 2 if one is a doula.  We're thinking about skipping it though...?
  • Loading the player...
  • At the end of the day, it really comes down to you deciding what is going to work best - FOR YOU!  If you have a DH like mine, the Doula would be more for managing him than it'd be helping me, but an important role none the less... 

I know some hospitals like Regions provide them if you request one, so not really much of an added expense...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IDK much about C-sections, but if you're still considering where to deliver, Woodwinds has free on-call doulas. I delivered there this month and it was awesome.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I had a planned c-section, and from what I know about Doulas, I am not sure what their role would be.  After they gave me the spinal and laid me down, I basically had zero to do apart for answer questions about how I was feeling....which was fine because you can't feel anything.  I persoanlly would not hire one... there is no room for them in the operating room anyway!  Those places are PACKED!!
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"