May 2014 Moms

2 pump sessions = 1 bottle

I EBF, but give my LO a 3oz bottle if BM every night. When I pump I get approx. 2 oz per session, so it takes me two sessions for one bottle.

I'm trying to build up my stash, but it's taking a very long time. Anyone else out there facing this?

Re: 2 pump sessions = 1 bottle

• Same story here :-/
  • @KellyQ116 Thanks. At least I know I'm not alone in this.

My sister recommended to pump after every breastfeeding session to help, but DD doesn't always give me the opportunity :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Same problem for me!
    The dr asked if I'm drinking enough water. I thought I was, but she said to drink more anyway. I'm trying, but not seeing a difference yet. I'm worried I won't be able to keep up with the breastfeeding :(
  • Same here. I can normally get 2-2.5 oz when I'm able to pump and we also give a bottle of BM at night. I've tried the whole pumping after she feeds but I might get half an ounce from each if I'm lucky. I started taking fenugreek so hopefully that will help. I'm also trying to drink more water. Fingers crossed!
  • springbeduk2springbeduk2 member
    edited July 2014
    Are you pumping close to the time of giving that bottle or after /between other feedings?

I haven't started her on a daily bottle yet but have pumped some after or between other feedings (though there barely is any between most of the time still - especially when I'm not holding her) and mostly only get about an ounce. Was hoping it would be a bit more when I get a double electric pump (next week I think) but from your experience maybe it won't be. Hmm.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • This was me for awhile but I started pumping after her morning session and when MH gives her the bottle at night. Bit of a pain but now I can get up to 5oz. Water intake makes a huge difference for me, I even try and drink when I get up with her in the middle of the night. She is 8.5 weeks so feeding a have spread out a bit but she's a hungry hippo and likes to cluster in the morning and evening. I think we started the pumping routine around 6 weeks.
  • I'm concerned because I pumped about 4 oz in the beginning and now at 5 weeks I'm pumping less. That makes me think I'm drying up. Hope water helps.
  • One technique that has really helped me is breast massage. I watched a few videos on how to do it.

Right breast was always difficult to pump, but with massage I increased by 1/2 and oz.
  • fussybunchfussybunch member
    edited July 2014
    @lizjlewin Do you get the 5oz at one pumping session?
  • @fussybunch‌ today was hard bc I pumped after morning feed (got 2oz). She then cluster fed all day, every hour. I felt like I couldn't keep up. I ended up giving her some if the pumped milk from this morning just to satisfy her and give myself a chance to catch up. I feel like I can't keep her satisfied and it breaks my heart. I can see why ppl start supplementing or give up all together around this time. When do you go back to work? I go back in 3 weeks and have 8oz as a stash :-/
  • @lizjlewin Do you get the 5oz at one pumping session?

I do. Usually in the morning. Not always 5 but usuly between 4-5.
  • @KellyQ116 I won't be going back to work (I feel lucky for that), but I would like a small stash of milk for DH to be able to feed if I'm not there. People are pressuring me to supplement, but it's just not my choice at this point.

@lizjlewin Thank you. I guess I should get my lazy booty out of bed and do an early pump- I'm just sooooo tired that early.
  • @fussybunch‌ well it's still good to have a stash in case you need to be away from LO for longer than a few hours. I go back and forth thinking I really want to stick to EBF and then thinking 'well what's the harm in supplementing one feeding?!' I'm sure I could be better about frequency of pumping too. It's hard in the AM bc she is awake and wants me to hold her. Some mornings I don't pump bc she is so fussy if I'm not holding her.
  • @KellyQ116‌ I felt the same way about supplement in until the hospital have him a little formula and it helped me keep him full. He's been a piggy since day one.
  • I pump during the night. You have the most milk very early in the day. DD doesn't nurse as long at night as she does during the day so I have a lot more than in the day time. I give her 1 side to nurse from then put her back to sleep and pump the otherside switching every time. By morning I have at least two bottles so I've been able to freeze some which I wasn't able to before. And don't be afraid to supplement if it helps you nurse longer, that's the whole point! Try not to put all that pressure on yourself it's hard enough!
    Married 5/5/12 ~ Miscarried @ 6wks 7/1/13 ~ Has Pacemaker ~ Due May 7th
  • I am only able to get enough pumped milk for 1-2bottles a day. It blows. We are supplementing in the mean time, but I feel like I'm never gonna get to the point where I'm getting enough to feed her only breast milk.
  • What helped me get my supply back after starting the minipill was while he eats on one side pump the other, every time for about three days. I used an old sports bra and snipped holes for hands free pumping. I drink at least 80 oz water (which is hard for me unless I have crystal light and a straw).

My first pump of the morning I can usually pump between 9-11 oz. DH feeds baby pumped milk around 6, and I pump anywhere between 6 and his next feed. This also gives me an extra hour or so of sleep. I hope that made sense.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• @KellyQ116 I have the same problem finding time to pump bc of my LO. Maybe this could be messing with our ability to increase our supply?
  • @fussybunch‌ maybe. I could pump after I put her back down from the MOTN feeding but I'm so sleepy..... Right now my goal (as suggested by my LC) is to get to a stash of one day's supply as back up, or about 30oz. If I pump while at work at least I'm replacing what she is eating and really don't need a giant stock pile. LC says it's 'ok' not to have to buy a second freezer :)
  • Have you tried mothers milk tea ?
  • I haven't tried the tea, but I was taking fenugreek pills. I was only on them two days because LO seemed super hyper and fussy. The pills were the only thing I could contribute it to.

@leahdipert Have you tried the tea? Did it help you?
  • How long do you let the pump run? Go at least five minutes after last drop and you can get a second letdown. I also pump after first am feeding when I am really full. I also think it takes time for your body to get used to pump vs baby so give it time! Water too all through the night.
  • Yes and it works.
  • LC at our pedis office suggested pumping while nursing during first morning feed after her long stretch of sleep. I try to do this and MAYBE one other pump session. Seems to work well enough so far.
  • I'm the exact same way. I used to only get an ounce with pumping before DS got his tongue and lip ties released, so 2oz per session is an improvement. My MOTN feeding is when I'm the most full...maybe I should keep my manual pump next to the bed with a cooler or something, and pump when he's done.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• @leahdipert How much of the tea do you drink each day? Also, how long did it take for you to notice a difference? TIA!
  • I don't drink it anymore since I have an abundance of supply, when I pump I usually get 4-5.5 ounces from one side. But when I felt like I didn't have enough I drank it once or twice a day only needed about a week. I got it on amazon, their price was reasonable. Definitely put honey or sugar in it though. Everyone I know who has tried it had great results.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"