Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

car rides!

My LO use to be great in the car - would usually fall a sleep before we even made it out of the drive way but now it is just terrible! I have little clip on toys for her carseat to help her entertain herself but this worked for about a week lol. Most of the family and my job are about an hr and half away from my house so we are in the car a good amount of time. I have tried everything (music, talking to her, toys, etc..) and we are this weekend having to go to a family reunion that is about a 5 hr drive - which i know we will have several stops so she can get out and not have to actually sit that long! So my question is what do you do to entertain your LO (mine is 7 months) in the car? Does your LO do this crying/screaming for you also while you are in the car?

Re: car rides!

• Options
    My son is always pretty good in the car but around that age he really started to hate his infant seat. We switched him to a convertible seat at 8 months and he loved it. Obviously you cant get one before this trip, but may be something to think about for future.
    Try to bring some of her favorite but safe for the car toys from home. They have mirrors that attach to the seat, my son loved mirrors at that age. If its possible maybe someone can sit in the back with her for a bit since its a long trip. There are times my son is fussy and he just has to fuss a bit. Good luck!
  • Options
    DS2 has started to get fussy in the car lately. We put up a big mirror on the headrest in front of him and he's pretty entertained by that. Luckily his big brother is usually in the back seat to entertain him with silly faces. Sometimes he's hungry or teething so I have to pull over to feed or give him teether.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD always hated the car when she was an infant, but it got really bad around 6mo or so. We switched to a convertible seat at 7mo and that did help some. Some babies really hate the infant seat once they have good head control and are starting to sit up more. She still doesn't always like the car, but the new seat did help.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Options
    One thing that can relly help is making sure they are warm enough or cool enough. A baby or kid that is too hot or cold can get upset easily. Defenitely worth keeping tabs on during a king trip. :)
    I have these tiny people who follow me around and call me mom, they are cute, so I let them stay.
  • Options
    My dd has been a tiny terrorist in the car from the very beginning. Switching to the convertible helped a lot. Now she can see out the window and it's roomier. More of a seat, less of a bucket. She still cries, but usually threre is a reason...hunger etc...but if I turn on her jam, blurred lines, she will quiet down 95% of the time. I also second sitting in the backseat for a long trip. Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"