November 2014 Moms
Options

4th of July! And a question

What's everybody doing for the 4th? My husband and I are traveling to a friend's lake cabin for some R&R and to watch fireworks over the lake. Can't wait! My question is this: from what I've read, most say bug spray is safe but some warn against the use of Deet. What are your thoughts on bug spray and/or favorite ways to keep the mosquitos away? Thanks ladies!

Re: 4th of July! And a question

• Options
    Cookout and maybe fireworks?  I'm excited!!! 

• Options
    I use Badger bug spray on DD and myself. It's deet-free.

Not sure about weekend plans yet. Too many house projects for DH to commit to any plans. :/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't like bug spray even when not pregnant but usually end up using it because apparently, I'm delicious. This year, I purchased Johnson's Baby Creamy Oil, Aloe and Vitamin E from Amazon. I heard it works really well at keeping mosquitos away but doesn't have the nasty smell of bug spray. I can't speak to it's effectiveness yet since I haven't actually used it, but maybe it's something you can look into.

Here's the link:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057ZQA48/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for what I'll be doing, I'm heading to the Dominican Republic with my husband's family. 10 people total and always a blast! Although, it's going to be super weird not being bombed the whole time... lol
    . Have fun at the lake!!!

• Options
    I use the berts bees bug spray, its just oils. Smells good, at least i think it does, and seems to work good.

Not sure on plans yet.
  • Options
    mb314mb314 member
    I use cutter natural which is Deet free and easy to buy at drug stores/ groceries. But I find having citronella oil lanterns work really well if you can sit right next to one.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We're at the beach for a week and will head to Panama City for another week on Saturday! Have fun ladies!!

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Options
    I work all weekend! Woot! Hopefully a BBQ and fireworks.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    Hosting family over our place on the 4th (about 20 people) and Saturday going to visit my parents at their camper.
  • Options
    cbrantcbrant member
    Avon Skin so Soft
  • Options
    We have obnoxious and irresponsible neighbors. Last year, they were setting of fireworks right next to my car, we actually had to go outside and tell them to move. We also have a skittish kitty, so for both of those reasons, we're having a (not so relaxing) night at home.
  • Options
    Since I am a cook, I don't get holidays and every weekend off. But, this is my weekend to work, so my normal day off is Friday, the 4th. We're probably going to go to a matinee of "Tammy", because we love Melissa McCarthy. For dinner, I am going to barbeque some chicken leg quarters, make my "famous" roasted potato wedges, corn on the cob, and watermelon. I don't know what else we'll do. Probably eat ice cream. Most of the fireworks around here are not actually on the 4th...
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, chicas! Can't wait for the long weekend!
  • Options
    I've been using bug spray on DS and myself for weeks now in this hot, humid, mosquito infested town and we're fine.
  • Options
    Im.very excited for this weekend, fireworks the 4th and our gender reveal party the 5th!!
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to a 4 day weekend! Thursday I'm going to an outdoor country music festival to see Brantley Gilbert, Tyler Farr, and a few others. Friday will be a beach/bbq/fireworks kind of day (pending the looming thunderstorms) then probably more beach days Friday and Saturday. I love living so close to the ocean!

Not sure about the bug spray question. I know a friend of mine asked her doctor and she told me that bug spray was ok to use but I didn't ask her what kinds and I have yet to really need it.
  • Options

When I went up to the family cabin in Wisconsin over Memorial Day weekend I layered on the DEET.  The mosquitos and ticks were really bad there.

Lyme disease is way worse than DEET.

For the 4th of July, I am stuck working.  Darn quarter end. But I am going to a BBQ Friday afternoon and another on Saturday evening.

• Options
    Thanks for all the ideas, chicas! Can't wait for the long weekend!
  • Options
    We are hosting a get together at our house and bbq'ing ... so I'll be cleaning the house and getting ready for that Thursday! Sooo ready for a 4 day weekend!

• Options
    Friday we are boiling crabs and shooting fireworks with family.  Saturday and Sunday...back to nursery construction!

As for the bug sprays, Avon sells a skin so soft wipe!  I love these cause you aren't exposed to all the fumes!
  • Options
    You can make your own bug repellent with a few drops of Lavender essential oil and a spray bottle of water. Smells nice too!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimageimageimageimage

N14 November Siggy Challenge - Straight up Celebration!!!

animal animated GIFThe Huffington Post animated GIF
  • Options
    I use the berts bees bug spray, its just oils. Smells good, at least i think it does, and seems to work good. Not sure on plans yet.
    I use Berts Bees as well. My sister was using it on my niece so I tried it because nothing else usually works for me.  Just have to get used to that oil feeling.  And I agree that it does smell good...or at least better than any other spray I used.  Can't do Skin so Soft.  I think it attracts every mosquito to me in a 10 mile radius lol
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    So far I'm planning on taking the two older ones to have a picnic dinner and then watch the fireworks downtown. Tried out this spot last year with just DD1 and it had a minimum of drunks and a lot of families, so we'll see how DS handles it.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• Options

The 4th is usually a bad time of year for my family, I think we're jinxed, so we keep it low key ad definitely don't travel far.  Family BBQ at my parent's and some swimming, Another BBQ at a friend's on Saturday and hopefully will have time to get to the local fair at some point. 

• Options
    For bug spray use OFF deep woods (at least for adults, not sure about kids).
    Even if you're not in the deep woods - it's the best!

For 4th of July, my husband and I are going on a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas! I am soo excited to get away and have some water and R &R but I'm also feeling a little 'meh about it because it's only 3 days and maybe my mind is consumed with prepping the house for baby? I am happy that mom is flying out to take care of DD while we are gone.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    I have to travel out of town for a wedding. DH can't go because of work so the bump and I are taking a 6 hour road trip solo. I see lots of rest stops in my future. Wish me luck!
    :)
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    kfo22kfo22 member
    I have a 3 day weekend, but DH will be out in the field (Army training). So....  :-/

• Options
    Ummm my boss just told me that a hurricane is coming on Friday... WT Actual F???

Lilypie First Birthday tickers image     Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers  image

• Options
    Yeah there is a tropical storm down south that has a good chance of turning into a category 1 hurricane, just not sure when that is supposed to happen or if it did already... By the time it reaches up here in NY it will most likely be just a really bad storm just in time for the 4th...We'll most likely have to move out BBQ fun indoors...also won't be great for the fireworks in the city
    ~Nov14 Moms November Siggy Challenge: CELEBRATION!! ~

Anniversary

• Options
    @DoubleUp8‌ Good luck, lady! We just got back from a 7-hour drive and I made my poor husband stop nearly every hour!
  • Options
    @skschumacher Thanks! Hopefully, I can keep the stops to 2-3, we'll see. Either way, my parent's condo association has a pool, so as soon as I get there I plan on taking a big bottle of water down there and jumping in!

~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    We will probably be going home to spend time with our family. I have 4 days off and DH has 3 days off. We're from a small town, so we might go to the fireworks show or just spend the time with our parents. I'm sure we'll eat some delicious grilled food too!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"