May 2014 Moms

BF w Nipple Shield

At 4 days I started using a nipple shield to nurse with... Apparently I have/had flat nipples and LO was having a difficult time latching. The shield has been wonderful. Only negatives while nursing is that sometimes LO knocks it off with her hand. I'm worried about losing supply and weaning her off it.

Any tips or experience with weaning off a nipple shield?

I've been attempting to pump after most feedings to be sure I'm draining my breasts. Any suggestions on keeping up supply?

TIA!

Re: BF w Nipple Shield

• With both my kids I kept using a shield until the kid was ready to ditch it. For DS thst was three months old, for dd it was two months.

With both I would periodically try to get themto latch without it. If they did, great. If not, if either of us got frustrated I would use the shield and then just try another time.

Are you noticing your supply is suffering? I've never once had a supply issue csused by the shield.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• @Junebug060609‌ I don't think so? I've just been told that's one of the drawbacks to using it. I'm at least not losing supply. I guess my concern is more that I won't produce more when she needs more.

What were the indicators that your LO's were done w the shield? I'm guessing you continued to BF and it wasn't an issue bc their mouths were bigger/they were older?

• Loading the player...
  • I have no advice, but I use a nipple shield and I have the same problem. He knocks it off with his hand. I am curious what others have to say, as I hope to wean DS2 off of it whenever he is ready. He is tongue tied though, and I have flat nipples... or perhaps it's partly because he does not suck very well or hard enough to keep them erect. The pump, I have no problem so I am fairly certain it is because he is a lazy suckler due to the tongue tie, just like my DS1. I have gotten him to latch many times w/o the shield but he can not feed at any length of time without. I have not noticed a shortage in my supply, which I was also worried about. He seems like he is getting better at feeding for a longer, more productive amount of time, and finally draining my breasts completely in under 30 minutes each side so I hope this may be a sign he won't need the nipple shield one day soon?
    Nikolas Knight 
    Born: August 8th, 2009   8lbs 8oz  4:33pm

Nolan Lawrence 
    Born: May 21st2014   8lbs 14oz  3:27pm

There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. 
    One is roots; the other, wings."   -Hodding Carter
  • @Junebug060609‌ I don't think so? I've just been told that's one of the drawbacks to using it. I'm at least not losing supply. I guess my concern is more that I won't produce more when she needs more.

What were the indicators that your LO's were done w the shield? I'm guessing you continued to BF and it wasn't an issue bc their mouths were bigger/they were older?

I never had an issue with not producing more when they needed it. The principal of my supply upping itself to meet their demand held true. There were times during spurts where they were permanently nursing... but that is common shield or not. What I did notice when weaning dd off it recently was that my breasts briefly overproduced due to the extra stimulation of her nursing directly. I took advantage of it and pumped a bit for my stash....but as expected in a few days my body stepped down production (I couldn't reliably pump bc I have a toddler as well to tend to).

There weren't outward indicators. It was a matter of trial and error. I'd try and get her to latch. If it took, great, if not I popped on the shield and tried without later. Gradually they were able to not need it more consistently until it wasn't needed at all. With dd it was a very organic process...I didn't even realize she was weaned until it was over with. With DS I was hyper aware. I think the difference was that as a stm I knew it was possible to nurse without it and I knew it would happen when she was ready. I was much more relaxed.

I dont think it is a function of their mouth size so much as their ability to physically control themselves. They root better, have a stronger suck, etc the older they get...and being able to find the right spot and stay there is the key. Fwiw, since mine are still pretty flat I take the nip and drag it down the crease under her nose. There is a reflex where they open wide when that is done and I shove the nip in then. As they get older they will be able to grab the boob and get there themselves, but as NBs they don't have that strength and control yet. It's a process to find what works for you and baby, so go easy on yourself. And honestly, even if you always have to use the shield (probably not the case), you are still doing awesome nursing. That's my thinking anyways. Shield or not, baby is getting fed...though I will admit it is nice not to have to worry about having a shield handy or keeping it clean.

Ps. For me the spillage happened when I'd remove the dang thing. Had to keep a cloth handy to catch the drips.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Wow! Thank you so much @Junebug060609‌ That was all so helpful and encouraging. I'm so happy to hear about your success w "shield" nursing :)
  • I've been using a shield too... DS will not latch on without it, though I do periodically try.  Same issues as some of the PP, it can make a mess and he likes to knock it off or pull it off.  No supply issues here.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • As @sticky11‌ said, put down the pump! I used a shield from the hospital onwards. LO would latch sometimes without it, but usually not. I had overactive letdown so we needed the shield or he would choke. A few LC's I saw in the hospital freaked me out about the shield hurting my supply so I pumped a lot and I'm pretty sure that's what caused my over supply/OALD. He had a tongue tie which was a lot of his latching issue, we had it clipped and BFing really regressed unfortunately. I'm basically exclusively pumping now, I try to get him on my breast once a day (without the shield) but it's just a frustrating fight for both of us. I hated using the nipple shield. I mean, 70% of the time it was fine, but those times it would be full of milk and he would fuss and knock it off, it really just killed the BFing experience for me. But reading how all you ladies are making it work and that They do wean off eventually is making me consider trying again and just being my patient with any milk spillage incidents.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • What awesome input from y'all. I love hearing other's shield experiences! Just left the pediatrician's office where I met w an LC she suggested pumping once a day while I nurse first thing in the AM. Mainly bc I'm going back to work at 12 weeks so I'm building a stash. If it wasn't for that, pumping wouldn't be a big deal.

thanks again ladies!
  • I also use a shield. I have been since day 1. I got so excited the other day because LO latched without it. Well that was a 1 time thing apparently. My little guy also knocks it off all the time. It is annoying because you have to remember it everywhere you go. I bought 3 and keep one in the house and in each diaper bag. I am scared I'll forget it one day. I'm sure once they recognize the boob, they will know to latch with or without the shield. Hopefully it is soon
  • I'm coming from A14 but ended up with a May baby. We had to use a shield from day 3 because of a NICU stay and general latch issues. I really wanted to wean but was too scared to try for a while. Around 6 weeks I started finishing the feed and taking the shield off, and letting her latch for comfort sucking if she wanted. Sometimes she did, sometimes she didn't. Then one day I started a feed in the middle of the day (not so engorged like in the am) and she just latched. I still used the shield in the middle of the night and first thing in the am, but after a few days she almost acted pissed if I used it so I stopped. The good thing is that I can still use it if she sleeps longer than normal if she can't latch, and it helps to save your nips. When she latched well I went through what other moms go thru the first few weeks with the pain, just 6 weeks later. Nipple butter is a must!!!! HTH!

Married 9/18/10
    TTC 1/1/12
    BFP #1 12/13/12 MMC Confirmed 1/30/13
    BFP #2 6/17/13, (Clomid+Ovidrel) CP Confirmed 6/26/13
    BFP #3 8/14/2013 (Letrozole+IUI) Charlie Grace born 5/2/2014

Laparoscopic surgery 8/15 to remove misplaced IUD

BFP #4, #5, #6  (Letrozole+IUI)all MMC, BFP #7 EDD 1/3/2017

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Don't know about why some people are using shields, but I use them for inverted nipples.  I try every once in a while and a couple of weeks back managed to get DD to latch on which was awesome, I just had to kind of squeeze the breast so there was a bit of nipple sticking out.  However she likes to pause during feedings, and as soon as she stops sucking, back in it goes, and there goes my latch.  I guess I need to wait until she's more consistent :(
  • Did any of you with previous children or now use a shield much later? DS is almost 8 weeks and I'm seriously considering one as my nipples are so sore still. I know it's from a chappy latch but when he comfort sucks it brings it all back again. So I get stuck in this pickle of whether to let him suck so he can sleep or unlatch him so I'm not in pain. Ugh.

But then don't if you use one and wean don't your nips have to readjust all over again?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"