August 2012 Moms

tips on getting toddler into carseat?

i know this has been posted about before, but i don't think there's been a thread on it recently...

DS was always okay with being strapped into his carseat, and even liked doing the buckle himself. lately, though, he's been flipping out when we try to put him in- standing up in the seat, screaming, flailing, etc. it usually works to bribe him with food (get in and i'll give you this cookie/raisin/whatever), but i hate to resort to that every time. he won't be distracted by toys of any kind. even if he really wants to go somewhere, he still doesn't want to get in the seat.

does anyone have any good tips and tricks for getting their kid into the car seat?

Re: tips on getting toddler into carseat?

• Jeffrey is still obsessed with my phone so I usually try that if nothing else works. He loves to try to climb into the front part of the car so we have struggles alot too!
  • yes, i think DS wants to sit in the front seat and/or drive the car. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • yeah I pretty much just throw DD in there when she is having a melt down and strap her in. Though she really is just all noise and doesn't physically try to stop me putting her in. Once in there I will give her her blanket that usually works to calm her down after a little while.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFetus Ticker
  • Tranquilizers??  :P

Mom of 2 monkeys and 1 on the way!
           Christian12/06, Liam 08/12, Monkey #3 10/10 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I just have to put LO in. She acts like she cant climb in but i know she can. If she fusses she fusses.
    march siggy: Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BeevolBeevol member
    When DD wont get in happily, I first ask her if she wants to climb in the car herself (she climbs from the ground into the seat, even in the SUV), if that doesn't work I count to three and that usually does the trick. The few times that she has pitched a fit, I've just forced her into the seat - the one time she went rigid hard enough that I was worried forcing her further would harm her, I closed the door to the back seat of the car and opened the door to the front seat (so that she couldn't fall out of the car but that there would still be air flow) and told her she was in time out until she sat and then just stood outside of the car not paying active attention to her - she chilled out within 30 seconds. 

I have tried not to bribe her too much as a disciplinary tool because I don't want to find myself in a situation where she expects a cookie or whatever just to be a normal person, or (and maybe I'm a bad person because I think this is worse) she pitches a fit and wont chill until I give her the cookie/whatever and I don't have one. :P
  • Jax was resistant to getting in her seat, but now she is happy as a clam to climb in by herself. Sometimes she fights, but I do the same as @Beevol...I make sure she's safe and wait outside (with the front door open) and she eventually calms down. If we are in a rush, then I do my best to wrangle the cranky ball of screams and get her into her seat. She generally calms down once she is all buckled in.

DD Born August 16, 2012
    DS Due April 27, 2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"