May 2014 Moms

another flying with newborn question - stroller

There was a flying with infant thread a couple days ago but I have a different question I couldn't find via google or searching the Bump...

I know you can check your stroller at the gate if collapsable, but what about the car seat part of it?  We have a Graco carseat where her car seat (minus base) sits on top of the stroller (Jeep brand).  So to collapse it you have to take out the carseat part.  Do they just check both at the gate?  Or am I going to have issues with checking the carseat?  She isn't big enough yet to use the stroller without the carseat. 

I am traveling alone to visit a friend and plan to wear her as much as possible but want to have the stroller too to help carry the diaper bag and have the ability to lay her down if needed to give my back a break. I am flying United if it matters. The United website just said you can check a stroller at the gate if collapsable.

If you have experience can you let me know about the carseat part?  Thanks!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: another flying with newborn question - stroller

• We checked a whole travel system with southwest. Car seat, base, and stroller.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• @mrsbtobe20122 - did you check at the plane door at the gate or check it with your luggage?  Just realized I wasn't probably clear when I said check that I meant at the plane door. I want to use the stroller in the airport during layovers, etc.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • smdukes said:

@mrsbtobe20122 - did you check at the plane door at the gate or check it with your luggage?  Just realized I wasn't probably clear when I said check that I meant at the plane door. I want to use the stroller in the airport during layovers, etc.

Yes I checked it at the gate. Everything else I checked when I got boarding passes, which I highly recommend! You won't have patience/ hands for anything other than your travel system and your diaper bag to carry on.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Thanks gals!  I better call United to be sure, but appreciate your input!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited June 2014
    I've gate checked stroller and carseat several times with United. I definitely recommend checking your other luggage and traveling with the least amount of carry on. Also United doesn't have priority boarding for families with young children anymore. And United is the only airline I've been on so far that didn't have changing tables in the bathroom (I'm sure it depends on the specific plane you're on, but still, United is terrible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"