May 2014 Moms

EBF & Pumping Question

I'm a FTM who has been EBF my 5 week old.  I want to build up a small freezer supply and started pumping (for the first time) last night.  I only pumped the left side while my LO nursed on the right, then I pumped a little on the right after she finished.
I got about a total of 1 oz. and put it in the fridge...unsure of what to do next.

My questions are:
1) I want to start giving her a bottle once a day, but I feel pretty confident she will eat more than just an ounce....so if I give her the oz. I pumped yesterday and she wants to eat more...do I just let her BF for the rest of the feeding?

2) Since I'm just starting to pump, if I only get an ounce or so at a time...how do you store this?  I know I'll want to freeze more than an ounce at a time, so do I just put the ounce of pumped milk in the fridge and combine it with another session to make the amount I want to freeze?  Because I'm new at pumping, I'm nervous about combining milk from different sessions/days and how to make sure I don't screw up the quality (combining cold milk with just pumped milk, etc.)

Thanks so much for any advice on this :)

Re: EBF & Pumping Question

• This website has a lot of great information which helped me out a lot with questions like yours: www.kellymom.com

Also the breastfeeding board will be really helpful as well.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• A lot of women suggest sterilizing an ice tray and storing in there- each slot is about an ounce. You can thaw as you need.

I use pumped milk to supplement when out, and give in addition to night feedings to help him sleep longer (he'll nurse, after an hour I'll give him a bottle of two pumped ounces, then an hour later I'll nurse him to sleep). He's never had even the slightest issue with a bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"