Health & Exercise

Runners: Preggo pace?

How has pregnancy changed your pace? 

I've been running long distance for about 6 years.  My fastest marathon pace was in 2013, 3:46:52, an 8:39 pace.  10k pace was 7:47, 5k was 7:25.  Most of my running in the past number of years has been just training for an early spring half, followed directly by marathon training for fall marathons.  I don't do a lot of small races, just kind of run on my own.

My comfortable training pace was always 8:30-9min/mi.  I am now 22 weeks, and able to handle 10min/mi, but only running 3-4mi at a time, as my bladder is just so uncomfortable.  I'm just curious how much slower I will get, if I am even able to continue running.

Anyone further along and have input on how they have slowed as the weeks have gone by?  The summer heat is getting intense, and I'm so bored on the treadmill, so I don't have high hopes for maintaining 10min/mi for long.  How are you handling your runs and slowing paces?  Does baby like it?  ;-)

Thanks for any advice :)  Really hoping to stay active as long as possible!

BabyFruit Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

Re: Runners: Preggo pace?

• blu-eyedwifeblu-eyedwife member
    edited June 2014
    I was never as fast as you, was running at about 9:30 5k pre-pregnancy, around 10:30-11 comfortable pace.  I got slower almost immediately.  I ran a half a week before I tested and it was the slowest, most uncomfortable half ever.  At 28 weeks I ran a 5k at a little over a 12:30 pace.  I was still running up to and including the day I was induced a couple days before my due date, but by then my speed was probably closer to a 14 min. mile.  In terms of mileage, that only decreased because it took me longer to get in the miles in the 30 minutes I'd run before work.  On the weekends, I didn't have any problem with running longer distances, since time wasn't an issue.

The nice thing about the treadmill is you can stop to use the restroom!  I had to map out all my running routes so I knew I was never too far from a bathroom.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad this is out here!!! I've only been running for about a year and do about 3 miles 4-5 times a week. My exhaustion has got in the way but I'm pushing my self to continue even if it's 2 !!! I don't want to lose my momentum and really the weight gain : (
  • Loading the player...
  • I will be 9 weeks the day after tomorrow and looking forward to the second trimester. Im a wildland firefighter and really do a lot of strength training to keep me up to the task but cardio is the most important I feel for the amount of endurance I must have!!!
  • In the 32-36th weeks of pregnancy, I was running 2-3 miles at about an 8:30 pace. By the 37th week, it was pathetic so I just kept up with my prenatal yoga. I was also doing kickboxing and strength training until the 35th week or so - keep going as long as you have the stamina (and of course the doc's approval)!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• I started run/walking around 28 weeks, doing 2 minute intervals. It averaged out to about a 10 minute mile.
    Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • Pre-preg shorter run (<7 miles) pace, for me is 6-7 min/mile (depends on terrain, weather and workout).  My longish run (7-12 miles) pace is about 7:30 min/mile.  Long runs 8-8:30s. 

While pregnant, I usually stay on short runs (I always seem to get pregnant during a lull in my training mileage), and my pace is about 7:45-8:30s.  I usually end up having to stop running at about 35-37 weeks due to being uncomfortable.  This pregnancy, I ran until 37 weeks, 3-5 miles at ~8-8:15s.

• I've been wondering about half marathon training, so I think you ladies might be the ones to ask.  I ran my first half in May and was thinking about possibly doing another in the fall, but will start TTC in August.  Providing I get pregnant, is a half too long/strenuous to run in the first trimester?  
  • argonneargonne member
    edited July 2014
    I've been wondering about half marathon training, so I think you ladies might be the ones to ask.  I ran my first half in May and was thinking about possibly doing another in the fall, but will start TTC in August.  Providing I get pregnant, is a half too long/strenuous to run in the first trimester?  

First off, when TTC it's best to go about your life and plans as if you aren't going to be pregnant.  In other words, go ahead and sign up for the race and train for the race.  I'm not trying to be negative, but it takes most couples more than a few months/cycles to conceive, so you can't automatically assume you're going to become pregnant in August.

Secondly, if your training is already well under way and you have some longish runs under your belt, then you can continue with your HM training and the race if you do become pregnant.  The only way I could really see pregnancy affecting your race plans is if you have complications, you're extremely fatigued, you have bad morning sickness, etc.  You will slow down.  I think I slowed down more in my first trimester than any other trimester.  Your body is using a lot of energy growing a baby, so you need to accomodate for that by eating more and resting when you feel you need the rest.

Edited because grammar is hard.

• I've been wondering about half marathon training, so I think you ladies might be the ones to ask.  I ran my first half in May and was thinking about possibly doing another in the fall, but will start TTC in August.  Providing I get pregnant, is a half too long/strenuous to run in the first trimester?  

Defintly go about your life. I was signed up for a 10 miler last October and ended up getting KU first month off BC. It can happen. I was going to run it but had some bleeding and my OB discouraged me from running it. If I didn't have the bleeding I felt well enough to run it (I was 12 weeks at the time).

I'd sign up if I were you!

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• My non pregnant paces has slowed since having kids (my oldest is 6.5 years).  However, My non pregnant pace is about 1.5-2 minutes/mile faster than my current pace.  I think I could run faster, but I find myself trying to "take it easy" instead of pushing harder when I'm not pregnant.

I just ran in a 10.5 mile mud race yesterday and it was a slow go, but it was fun and I did it and that's all I was hoping for.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I ran 3 races in the 1st tri and just ran a 10.5 mile race yesterday (16 weeks).  If you don't have any special conditions during your pregnancy, you are totally capable of a half.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I'm 19 weeks and I've run a half every month since BFP. My pace is slower and the restroom breaks are obnoxious but the races are still fun.

My pace is current 1-1.5 minutes slower than usual, but in my first trimester I swear it was even slower. Breathing was most affected in the first tri for me.

December Siggy: Free for all!
    image imageimage

EDD: 12/12/14

Expected completion of dissertation: ?

• thanks for all of the input.

I am 26 weeks now and still maintaining a 10min pace, but only running 4 mi at a time, 2-3 times a week if im lucky.  I continue to strain my lower pain in doing so, and am not able to stretch like I normally would, so im in pain for a couple of days after running sometimes.  trying to keep up the cardio on the stairmill, rower, etc, but it's just not the same.  I miss my long runs on the lakefront path :( 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

• I was lucky to hit between 10:30 and 12:00 pace pre-pregnancy. Now, I'm closer to a 13:00 -14:00.. darn walking breaks.. I only hope to come back at full force and smash my 5k best of 35:19. Eventually I want to be around 28:00 or less. Only time will tell!

I'm still signed up for the full marathon in December as I wasn't expecting things to work on the first try. We'll see how I feel. That may turn into a relay between myself, baby, and DP. :)

Otherwise ran a 2:45 (normally 2hr) 21k 2 weeks ago (@9w), a 1:40 12k trail run this past weekend (@11w) and have another 21k next weekend when I get back to the States (@13w). Playing it all by ear. Won't lose any sleep if I need to DNF. But still feeling really good after the runs, so planning to keep it up a long as baby & doc allow.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Keep it up ladies!

I ran 3 miles last week at 33 weeks at about 5.5-6mph, but I get such bad lower back pain afterwards that running just isn't worth it right now.  I'll continue some jog/walk action for as long as possible, knowing my running days are just around the corner!  Otherwise, I'm tackling the stairmill as often as possible...but let's be real, I haven't been to the gym in a week!  So sleepy :) 

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

• I ran two half marathons so far, one at eleven weeks at a 10:15 pace and the last one at twenty two weeks with a 12:00 pace (BUT if it wasn't pouring the entire time, I would've gone faster)...talk about a mental challenge! Was pep talking the baby thr entire time...ha! If you were already training then you'll be fine. Just listen to your body.
  • I'm signing up for a half in February, I'll be 19 weeks. I've never ran a half before, but I've done 5-10 km consistently for a year, and I'm planning to run/walk the half at a very comfortable pace (no idea of minutes/mile, but ssslow). I was planning to run a full in June in honour of my 30th, but I'll be 36 weeks pregnant at that time, so not worth it IMO!

Glad to se so many pregnant runners on here. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"