May 2014 Moms
Options

Another pumping question

I pumped for the first time this morning and I guess I had unrealistic expectations.  I was disappointed to just get a little under 3 oz in about 15 minutes.   With the amount of milk that soaks my & his clothing if I fail to put the pad in place correctly along with the amount that sprays him in the face if he's gone longer than an hour & a half between feedings, I thought those bottles would run over!   Also, I know that he is a more efficient sucker than the pump, but at yesterday's meeting with the lactation consultant, he took in almost 4 oz in 8 minutes from just one breast.   So, I guess my question is... did your pumping output increase once you got used to it?  
Me-41, Hubby-40.
1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
Dear Son born 5/28/14

Re: Another pumping question

• Options
    Yes, mine did improve the more I got used to the pump. Did you feel a good letdown? I try to pump until I get a second letdown, but usually no more than 20 min. If it takes awhile to get your first letdown, try to relax, look at pictures of your baby, etc to help your output.
  • Options
    Mine increased over time substantially. It does help to pump with LO around. And as you said, babies are more efficient than the pumps.

Also, I range anywhere from 5 oz in one session to 9 oz in another, depends on time of day and how long I go between pumping sessions.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Short answer, yes. But you may need to work to get there. 
    Are you sure everything's the right size? Specifically the flanges. I didn't have any clean of my regular size once so I used the bigger ones that came with the pump and my output was significantly less.

• Options
    I started off with 2-3 oz at first. I had to get bigger flanges and I get about 7-8oz, this morning I pumped 9. I pump only once a day in the morning after her first feeding. Just keep at it, and definitely try and pump with LO around or try thinking about him.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I got 1 oz today second day trying! Dh poked fun at me for freezing one ice cube. We all have to start somewhere!
    I am about to start pumping this week. I could so see  me doing this  :)
  • Options
    Hey that's 1 oz more than I had yesterday. I had 2 drops yesterday lol.
  • Options
    I've been pumping for almost 2 weeks. I get about 2.5 oz after I feed LO. Today I was away from her and had to pump and got 4oz. I guess that seems about right for her weight (8lbs13oz) but I wish I could save up more.
  • Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    Thanks everyone. I may experiment with the other set of flanges I have.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    How do you know when the shields are the wrong size? My nipple goes into the tunnel as they call it but it's close to the edge. If I'm not on properly one side will touch. And we're talking millimeters here.
  • Options
    @MK1013 said:

I'm having the same issue. A fold up a rag and put it in my left bra cup while nursing on my right, the rag is always completely drenched yet when I pump I get 1.5 to max 2 oz.. I don't understand. Been pumping around the same time once a day (in the am) for about a week now. Little discouraging.

Do you have a Milkies or some other kind of collection cup? If you're soaking rags just from leakage, you need to get one. Don't waste all that milk!

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    jenb_99 said:
    I'm having the same issue. A fold up a rag and put it in my left bra cup while nursing on my right, the rag is always completely drenched yet when I pump I get 1.5 to max 2 oz.. I don't understand. Been pumping around the same time once a day (in the am) for about a week now. Little discouraging.
    Do you have a Milkies or some other kind of collection cup? If you're soaking rags just from leakage, you need to get one. Don't waste all that milk!
    I was going to suggest the same.

• Options
    How do you know when the shields are the wrong size? My nipple goes into the tunnel as they call it but it's close to the edge. If I'm not on properly one side will touch. And we're talking millimeters here.

• Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    I'm thinking maybe I didn't have the tubing secured tightly enough yesterday.  Today's pumping felt more forceful.  I had to turn it down from high to medium even.  Thanks again for the feedback.
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"