May 2014 Moms
Options

mirena

to those of you who have this IUD, how long after insertion did you get a period, the cramping stop, spotting?

did you get sick to your stomach a lot with it? i started feeling that way right after i had it put in yesterday and it has yet to ease up
i'm just SO nauseated. i can't handle it. did it make you moody? 

Re: mirena

• Options
    also i've taken more trips to the bathroom now than what i did when i was pregnant....wtf?
  • Options
    XathXath member
    My OB said that if you're going to have a reaction to the mirena, it will most likely happen in the first month.  I had a few days of cramping and spotting, but that was all for me; 3 week in.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been spotting a lot. I have had it for almost two weeks and was wondering if that was normal. I also can't tell if it's spotting or still from areas that are recovering. I had a lot of tearing but doctor said I was healed at my 6 week appt.
  • Options
    Oh goodness!!! No experience but totally following, as I told my dr I wanted this and will have it put in on 7/11 and have been having second thoughts ever since I made this decision. Does it hurt to have it put in? I had a RCS if that matters, as I didn't dilate past 2 cms so I'm thinking going past my cervix that never dilated could be painful in itself. Hope things get better for you!
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited June 2014
    @krlovell‌ I got Paragard after DS was born in 2011. Insertion was no more uncomfortable than a pap smear. I had quite a bit of bleeding later that day but no pain or cramping. I'm getting Mirena this time and assume the insertion experience is similar.

ETA: I never dilated past a 2 either. It made no difference. My OB has patients take Cytotec orally the night before IUD placement.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    XathXath member
    krlovell said:
    Oh goodness!!! No experience but totally following, as I told my dr I wanted this and will have it put in on 7/11 and have been having second thoughts ever since I made this decision. Does it hurt to have it put in? I had a RCS if that matters, as I didn't dilate past 2 cms so I'm thinking going past my cervix that never dilated could be painful in itself. Hope things get better for you!
    It's not comfortable, but it's not painful enough that you'd need any sort of numbing agent.  The whole thing takes 30 seconds and then you don't have to worry about BC for 5 years.  I'll take 30 seconds of discomfort for that, thank you very much.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    Thanks guys!!! Dr google needless to say is not my friend. My dr never said anything about it and then I googled and all the side effects and pain comments have made me second guess my decision. I agree a few seconds of being uncomfortable is nothing to have possibly years of bc.
  • Options
    @cowpoly959‌ Spotting is very normal after IUD placement. I actually had 4 full weeks of heavy periodlike bleeding after I got my Paragard.

• Options
    I had my third Mirena placed a few weeks ago, and I've had no spotting. I haven't had my first PP period either. I had a little cramping the day of the procedure, but none since. I've had 2 CS & never dilated, so I took 800mg Ibuprofen about an hour before. It really helps with the pain, even if it is for only a minute or so.
  • Options
    I took a Motrin before and I am a wimp about pain even after child birth and it didn't hurt me at all. A little uncomfortable is all. But quick
  • Options
    @krlovell‌ I tried to get one inserted before ever getting pg and I was not given anything to dialate my cervix. The tried using rods or something to dialate me to get it in, but I couldn't tolerate the pain. I ended up getting an implanon instead. Not trying to freak you out, but I'd ask your OB if you need something to prepare your cervix prior to insertion. I know people who have the Mirena and love it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    It doesn't matter whether your cervix ever dilated for your delivery. Even women who have never been pregnant can get a mirena.

Jess & Adam, married 2009, precious Audrey born in 2011. BFP 1/6/13, 6-wk MMC discovered at 9 wks 2/11/13. D&C 2/18/13, second D&C 4/23/13 for retained placenta.
    BFP 8/24/13!! EDD 5/1/14, delivered healthy and sweet Zoey Leanne on 5/5/14 by repeat c-section.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    XathXath member
    It doesn't matter whether your cervix ever dilated for your delivery. Even women who have never been pregnant can get a mirena.
    This.  All 3 of my deliveries were cesareans, and I got the mirena just fine.  
  • Options

My doc said it would be less painful if you've had a vaginal delivery, although yes everyone CAN get one.

Also, I am old enough that I tried to get an IUD when I was 22 and I was shot down because I was unmarried and child free and they didn't give them to unmarried child free women yet!

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• Options
    I had the mirena prior to pg and loved it. For me, insertion was a bitch -- I was never-pg and they didn't give me anything to soften my cervix. Afterward, I think I had several days of intense cramping, and a bit of spotting for a couple weeks. But then, I had almost five years of pretty much no periods and no worries about bc. Totally worth it for me. I plan to get the mirena again, but we're planning on trying for child #2 in about a year, so I will be waiting till after that.
  • Options

My doc said it would be less painful if you've had a vaginal delivery, although yes everyone CAN get one.

Also, I am old enough that I tried to get an IUD when I was 22 and I was shot down because I was unmarried and child free and they didn't give them to unmarried child free women yet!
    Me too! I tried to get Mirena before I had kids too. Only I was married and 25 and they still wouldn't approve it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"