May 2014 Moms

XP from 0-3: Crying during BMs

giggler25giggler25 member
edited June 2014 in May 2014 Moms
Hi Moms, my 1 month old has recently started the past couple days crying really hard whenever she has to poop. I know that infants have a hard time getting BMs out but up until the past few days shed never cry so hard. She would grunt and turn red (which i know is normal) but not full out scream. Now when she has to poop she wakes up crying - it is concerning that her BMs are waking her up they're so painful/uncomfortable. She is having several wet and dirty diapers per day and her BMs are soft so I don't think she is constipated. Anyone deal with this or have advice?

Edit: forgot to mention I am EBF.

Edit #2: And now she just had a few red flecks in her poop diaper. Poor baby!! I called the pedi and they said to come in tomorrow.

Re: XP from 0-3: Crying during BMs

• Our guy has done this a few times when he was very gassy. I second PP about trying gas drops. They are safe to use at each feeding and are not addictive etc. Our pedi said there are no drawbacks to using them.
  • No advice but I was reading through the booklet the hospital gave us upon discharge and it did say it was normal for a newborn to grunt, turn red, etc while having a bowel movement without necessarily being constipated.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Loading the player...
  • My pedi said it would probably be like that the first two months or so (the grunting, not the red in diaper). I do all of the usual stuff for gas, bicycle legs, knees to chest/tummy, lots of burping. I hope everything is alright and goes well at the docs!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DS spends some time grunting and squirming to have a bowel movement. Sometimes it's at night and it keeps us up.

I think his digestive system is still a bit immature and is developing. Gripe water helps it move too but I try to avoid giving it daily unless he's really uncomfortable.

I can tell you he's not constipated! It's a full diaper when it happens!

Maybe some gas drops or gripe water? Plus massage and bicycle legs?
  • Our pedi said in the 4-6 week range is when they start to realize that those are voluntary muscles and whT lots of babies do is this... They don't like the feeling of poop making its way down, so they clench those muscles, but then they also try to push the poop out at the same time, thereby making themselves quite uncomfortable while they learn to coordinate themselves better. She said in a pinch we could take a very well lubed thermometer and insert it to help release the muscles and help her poop. Gross, but...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"