May 2014 Moms

How many ounces do you freeze?

When pumping, how many ounces do you freeze in a bag? I am trying to think of the most efficient way to freeze my milk so I don't waste a lot. But I also don't want to do 1 ounce at a time and waste all the bags. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How many ounces do you freeze?

• I don't make enough to freeze anymore, but when I did I would freeze 2-3 oz per bag.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I freeze 5oz per bag-the most the bags will hold. I know people say to freeze smaller amounts but #1 the bags are expensive and #2 even if I don't use all 5oz, I know I will in a 24 hour period. Plus I plan on sending 15oz to the babysitter when I work so 5oz bags work out
  • Loading the player...
  • haylo33 said:

I freeze 5oz per bag-the most the bags will hold. I know people say to freeze smaller amounts but #1 the bags are expensive and #2 even if I don't use all 5oz, I know I will in a 24 hour period. Plus I plan on sending 15oz to the babysitter when I work so 5oz bags work out

I freeze in 5 oz too.

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image

• I freeze up to 8 ounces even though it's not recommended. I make sure to thaw it in a bowl so if it leaks I can salvage it. Just remember that once thawed you should use it all within 24 hours, so depending on what your back up needs are you may want to freeze smaller amounts. I'm already back to work a few days a week and my 4 week old baby usually drinks about 10-14 ounces when I'm gone.
  • I freeze 3-6 oz at a time. I used to just do 3 oz but then I realized that he would def. drink all of a 5-6oz bag within 24 hrs so I started doing more at a time.
  • I do 4-6 oz per bag. My guy can eat that now and it's a pump session for me which makes it easy.
  • I freeze 3-4 ounces in a bag- enough for a bottle per bag.
  • I also do 4-6 oz a bag. It usually is around 5oz. I know I will use that in 24 hours once I go back and it's a pump session for me. I know they say smaller but I haven't started using my stash yet so I guess it just doesn't make sense to me yet.
  • If you sterilize am ice cub tray you could use it to freeze 1 ounce portions and then transfer those to a ziplock bag once frozen. Then you can defrost exactly what is needed. But I agree with other posters, if you know you will use it within 2 hours of thawing, 5-6 ounces makes sense, especially when your LO starts eating 4-5 ounces per feed.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • I just had to unthaw freezer milk (thanks to eating dairy unintentionally), I found issue with freezing in larger increments. I usually just freeze whatever I pump which is anywhere from 3-5oz per breast. DD is currently eating about 4 oz per bottle, so I had to waste an oz if it was a 5 oz bottle and there wasn't enough in the 3 oz bottle, so if I were you, I'd freeze in several different increments.

imageimageimage

• JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    I have bags ranging from 2oz to 6oz. I don't pump anymore since I got my oversupply under control and LO is exclusively at the breast, no bottles. Not a huge deal since I'm not returning to work this time!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• I also freeze 2-3 oz per bag. I just freeze what I pump in two bags which usually comes to about 2.5 oz per bag since each side produces different amounts.
  • I freeze 5 oz bags. When Beb went to daycare we sent 5oz bottles. I figure we'll do the same for Q.

• I freeze whatever I pump so anywhere from 2.5-5oz.
  • I do 4 oz at a time.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I do a out 4 or 5. Bags aren't cheap and if she doesn't eat it all at once I can try again later

It's a BOY

• I try to freeze 4 oz in every bag.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • When I was pumping I would freeze 4oz in a bag. Now that LO is a month he eats 4oz in a feeding but before he did I would just pour 2oz into a bottle and save the rest for another feeding. As long as you used the thawed milk within 24 hours you're good :)
  • I freeze 4-5 oz. per bag, but a few 3 oz. bags are handy to have.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• So far, I've only pumped for relief and have been able to store just what I've pumped each time. I have a 3 oz bag, 2oz, and 1 oz. I think it works out well to have a range.mi'd keep doing it in these increments since I don't know how much she'd need in one meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"