C-sections

How long to wait before TTC?

Hi! I'm new to the C-section board. We had our first DD via RCS in January when I failed to progress after 18 hours of labor (her heart rate was dropping). She is now a healthy and happy little girl!

I am not asking for medical advice but I'm curious how long your practitioners recommend you wait before TTC after c section. We had been planning to wait until DD turned 1, so when I told my OB that, she said it was a good waiting/healing period. Now I'm starting to think we might want to start closer to when DD is 9 months. I plan to talk to my OB since she knows my history, just curious on what others have done/been advised. I've heard everything from 6 months to 18 months...

TIA!
Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
image imageimage

Re: How long to wait before TTC?

• My provider recommended not trying until at least 9 months (so there would be at least 18 months between deliveries).  When he said that, we were talking specifically about the prospects for having a VBAC, but I think that is a commonly recommended interval for all women who have given birth.
  • My provider recommended not trying until at least 9 months (so there would be at least 18 months between deliveries).  When he said that, we were talking specifically about the prospects for having a VBAC, but I think that is a commonly recommended interval for all women who have given birth.
    WSS
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told to wait a year before trying to TTC.
  • Kim22Kim22 member
    My Dr. says a year. How many previous CS have you had? I thought you said this is your first but it was a repeat c so I'm not sure.
  • We were told to wait 6 months. I got pregnant when my first was 8.5 months and was allowed to attempt a VBAC.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • i was told to wait two years due to complications following delivery.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• My doctor said 12 to 18 months is recommended.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I was also told 12 to 18 mos before trying again.
  • My OB recommended 1 year before getting pg again.  There are plenty of people that have easy subsequent pregnancies getting pregnant just a few months after a c/s and those that have pregnancies from hell that have waited years.  Doctors give a rule of thumb, but for most of their patients it's a blanket statement.  I think a year or so is good for me, but I've had 1 vaginal delivery, followed by 2 c/s and now I'm hoping for a VBA2C, so I wanted to give my incision longer to heal well.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • flclflcl member
    My dr said at least 6 months to let everything heal.
  • I was also told 12 months.

M/MC at 9w4d 5/23/12.

DS1- 8/2013

DS2- 11/2015 (Second round IUI)

DD- 9/2017

Baby #4 Due 5/10/20 TEAM GREEN

• My OB wanted at least 18 months between deliveries. I've heard that some OBs won't see patients who are trying for a VBAC with less than 18 months between deliveries because of increased risk of uterine rupture, but that might not be standard everywhere (and some OBs won't do VBACs at all, so it all depends.)
  • I was told 9 months before getting pregnant by one of the docs (after DD#1) but the other I saw (after DD#3) said whenever we were ready at my 6 week check. I wasn't told anything after DD#2 and we just went with NTNP and got the 18 month gap.
    Me - J.R. - 05/1986
    DH - J.I. - 08/1986
    Married - 09/22/2006
    DD#1 - A.E. - 12/15/2009
    DD#2 - N.R. - 11/07/2011
    DD#3 - S.R. - 05/20/2013
      DS - R.E. - 10/03/2014

Absolutely in love with our 'big' family!

I'm also a proud Auntie to a crazy little girl, her brand new baby sister, a little man on his way in the next month, and a sweet little mister we will miss forever!!!
  • My OB told me since I could attempt a VBAC (when we try for #2), he would suggest waiting for 12 months otherwise he recommends waiting 18 months.
  • Regardless of birthing method, there are some risks when babies are born < 18 months apart (meaning 9 months to TTC). However, apparently there are also increased risks for having babies further apart as well (wonder how ages factored in?) and the actual numbers are not given.

The Mayoclinic explaination:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/getting-pregnant/in-depth/family-planning/art-20044072

My hat is off to anyone who has a baby < 1 year old and is already ready to do it again. I certainly could not.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My Dr. told me to wait six months after my first emergency c-section and we were hoping for a VBAC. We got pregnant quickly with my 2nd DS and my boys are barely 16mo apart. My repeat c-section went really well (VBAC failed) and we had no complications. We started trying again at 6 months pp this time, but will have 24months in between births. This is a very individual thing, I heal quickly.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Proud Mom to the ZooCrew - Jack 3 years old and Joey 21 months. 
    Excited and delighted to welcome the 3rd member of the ZooCrew in 2015! We can't wait to meet you Matthew Henry!
  • We had to do IVF to get our DS and we were told our best chances to conceive on our own would be to try right away.  We had him Aug 2013 and by Novemeber we were actively trying again with our doctors go ahead.  Still not pregnant yet but he said I healed perfectly and had no concerns.  Good luck
  • I think it's up to you and your experience. My daughter was a very easy c section and I was running 10 days later.we had three rounds of failed IVF transfer, beginning five months after She was born. the one that finally workEd ended up being in September, and when she was 10 months old. Those were the triplets

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• moonfaeriemoonfaerie member
    edited July 2014
    IMO, it's up to your personal health and desire. I was pg by 6 months PP, and 9 months PP (I had  3u3, all c/s births) and it was NBD, other than minor discomfort from my scar stretching. Unless there is a personal medical reason that your doctor advises you to wait, I would TTC whenever you feel ready.

• One physician said 18 months between deliveries, another said wait one year before TTC.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"