Minnesota Babies
Options

Any United hospital reviews ?

Any good or bad experiences with United?

Re: Any United hospital reviews ?

• Options
    I had a great experience at United. The nurses were amazing from the minute I walked in until I left. I chose to have a med free delivery and they were supportive of that, only had one person (the doctor that came to break my water) even offer the epidural. They were very open to letting me labor as I needed to and I never felt any pressure to do anything I didn't want.

The rooms are a little small, but does that really matter?
  • Options

We spent a week at Children's/United with DS in the PICU - One thing I will say the food was GREAT!!  You'd usually expect hospital food to be bland, flavorless, lifeless, grog - I'd highly recommend their Oatmeal Raisin cookies if you're BF!!  I also like how they've got priority parking/access for L&D. 

Overall we had a great experience after some other issues were resolved (DS had a freak accident and they were a PITA the first 2.5 days no matter how many times we told them what/how it happened - DS wiggled off of DH's arm his first AM home from the hospital - it wasn't malicious, it was a freak ACCIDENT!) and then some billing issues, but care wise we never had any issues, the rooms were great, they've done a TON of updating in recent years so that will be nice for your stay too...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies! It won't be until January that i will get to meet my little one but can never be too prepared right?! I think hospital food has come a long ways in the past couple of years.. i work at a hospital and the pt's meals always look good!
  • Options
    I delivered at United last November. I have 3 kids and I delivered each of them at different hospitals. United had the least amount of amenities IMO-for example, a private shower in your delivery room. The postpartum rooms are very small too. However, the staff was great, very friendly, L&D nurses were awesome. I had my baby an hour after pulling into the parking lot, so they had to move FAST, but they did wonderful. They had to run a lot of tests on baby also, they initially suspected down syndrome, and a heart condition, and all the nurses were very compassionate and understanding. I was grateful to have Children's NICU nearby in case we needed it. So overall, yeah United is not flashy or fancy, but they are thorough and good at what they do!
  • Options
    I delivered at United in April 2013. Overall it was an OK experience and I loved that Children's was right there in the event they were needed.

A few things that didn't go so well for us were:

1. We went in close to midnight and the 1st nurse we had made us feel like we were interrupting her night. It was NOT busy there at all. Didn't get the best vibe from her.

2. We ended up being sent home after an hour of monitoring with no change, only to come back 45 minutes later to be admitted.

3. The nurses and doctor that were present for delivery were AMAZING and super supportive. I was exhausted by the time I was ready to push, but they kept me going. Everyone was very calm and I definitely felt like the actual birth of my daughter was peaceful and stress free.

4. After I was moved to my post partum room, the care from the nurses was spotty. It took a long time for our requests to be fulfilled - needing more pads, diapers fo baby, etc. Also, after they came in to do B's 1st bath that evening, we didn't see another nurse until about 3a... when we were all finally sleeping. Nobody came to check on me to make sure everything was going back to normal, or to check on the baby. That was a bit strange to me.

I don't have anything to compare it to, so that's why I said it was OK. I WILL be having my 2nd baby there in January. .. I love my doc, and that's where she delivers.. and, like I said before, I wouldn't trade having Children's rights next door.

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

• Options
    CoachTay said:
      4. After I was moved to my post partum room, the care from the nurses was spotty. It took a long time for our requests to be fulfilled - needing more pads, diapers fo baby, etc. Also, after they came in to do B's 1st bath that evening, we didn't see another nurse until about 3a... when we were all finally sleeping. Nobody came to check on me to make sure everything was going back to normal, or to check on the baby. That was a bit strange to me. I don't have anything to compare it to, so that's why I said it was OK. I WILL be having my 2nd baby there in January. .. I love my doc, and that's where she delivers.. and, like I said before, I wouldn't trade having Children's rights next door.
    Sadly, I think this has become the norm "everywhere" - VERY similar to my experience with Regions on this one.  It's sort of maddening on so many levels that they treat brand new Moms that way when it used to be that Moms (back in the day) were there about a week to heal up and help with getting BF established before heading home...
  • Options
    As a nurse that works at United in the post Partum department, I can say that you will receive the most compassionate and excellent care possible. Yes, I may be biased, but I myself will be delivering my own child there and put great trust in the nurses and doctors. I know the rooms are small and the decor may be out dated, but the staff is great and the NICU is right there for when things don't go as planned. Trust me, you want to deliver at United.
  • Options
    I delivered there in november and i will be back to do it all over again in january.  I thought the care i recieved was very good. I liked the nurses in the post partum and the doctor who delivered my baby in november was great. Shes not working in ob anymore so im now seeing kaye michaelson and hope to have a med free birth this time around. The only issue i would say i had was i was 42 weeks and had to be induced and as a first time mom i was a little nervous i waited 3 days for an open bed and at 9pm on sunday night they called to say they had an opening and that i could head down. I feel that they didnt come in the room much to check on me till early in the morning but everyone was very supportive.
  • Options
    I thought the nurses were amazing! I wasn't doing so well and they took pity on me. Every single one of them took one look at me and said "Oh honey." One very nice nurse washed my hair for me since I was such a disaster. Plus they sent me home with lots and lots of goodies.

I didn't care for the on call OB who came in to break my water, he gave me a bit of a hard time about not having an epidural, but the nurses got him out of the room and my doctor arrived in time for the delivery.
  • Options
    Thank you for the reviews.. Some of them make me a little nervous but I'll just have to go in with an open mind!
  • Options

Updating a little with a review...  I was just there for an "overnight" with a different department (was suppose to be a same-day procedure but had some issues with oxygen and pain levels so they made the call to keep me overnight) a week ago . 

I will say the only thing I had issue with was pain control and the nurse saying "we aren't authorized in this department to use any stronger pain medications" which I thought was odd (the problem ended up being that nurse on that shift was only giving me one type of med instead of balancing with another pain med...to provide a "boost" effect such as switching Tylenol with ibuprophen ((which I've got an allergy to)) - so I was getting loopy as heck, but not even close to controlling the pain until the next shift nurse came on, took a look at the chart, said "they gave you this, let's try that again now because this alone isn't working" - bam half-hour later - problem solved- amazing what a little T3 can do even by itself!).  I'm guessing that probably isn't the case with L&D (really though - ask what they do for pain control during L&D but MORE importantly PP and how they go about it while you're there!!!  It was the furthest thing from my mind because my procedure was suppose to be "simple"). 

That little hiccup aside - I will say the rest of the nursing staff and stay there was better than I've experienced elsewhere in town.  I love that their menu for patients was ala carte instead of dinner being delivered with stuff I had zero intentions of eating post-op even if I had to call the number to order it (lol - try remembering your room number when you've been given an intoxicating level of loopy meds!!)..  It's also quite expansive, not just two choices which makes it nice if you've got any food sensitivities or you don't like a particular food. 

Only other issue - bring your phone charger!! In the short time from my surgery to being in a room my phone battery was just EATEN up even though it was with my brother in the windowed family waiting area so shouldn't have been an issue. 

As for going in with an open mind - that's the key to L&D in general - and with each pregnancy the same.  An open mind will serve you well not only when it comes to helping the process along, but with pain control, etc. 

• Options
    I have delivered there twice and have had a great experience both times. I personally don't care about amenities and want to be someplace they are equipped to handle whatever arises. Very thankful for the NICU there, as they needed to be in the room for both deliveries. Highly recommend United.
    BFP #1, 12/22/09 - DD#1 born 9/2010
    BFP #2, 12/12/11, m/c 12/25/11
    BFP #3, 3/09/12, CP 3/10/12
    BFP #4, 7/22/12, DD#2 born 4/2013

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"