Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Back to work

Has anyone here gone back to work yet? My LO is 11 days old and I've been out of work since the beginning of April, due to hypertension and low fluid, so my FMLA will be over next Wednesday. I applied for a personal leave of absence today, which will end August 4th. If they approve it, I'll go back to work then. If not, I'll lose my job next week because obviously I'm not going back yet. I've been thinking about it all evening and I have no idea how I'm gonna leave her to go back to work. I need to go because we need the money, but I absolutely don't want to leave her. I don't want to miss anything at all. Those of you that have gone back, how was it? I'm crying just thinking about it.

Re: Back to work

• jenn43jenn43 member
    I can sympathize- I had to go back after 2 weeks. I get to see him during the day, though, which helps tremendously. Who will be taking care of LO while you're at work? Could he or she possibly bring the baby up for a visit during the day?
  • I went back at 8 weeks. My H is able to stay at home for the time being, and that helps a lot.  The first day was rough, but after that it wasn't too bad.   Do you have someone who can watch her while you're at work?  
    imageDSC_9275  image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually started back today. DS is 10 weeks. Today absolutely sucks and all I can think about is going home to get him. Unfortunately, me being a SAHM isn't an option and we have no one to watch him so he has to go to daycare.  I just keep focusing on seeing that sweet face when I pick him up this afternoon.  I agree with the other ladies, is someone watching her that can bring her to visit? Or does your office have a daycare?

• I do, but I still feel like I'm gonna miss everything of her life :( My job is Monday-Friday 7;30-4:30 and sometimes I'd have to go in at 7. I still don't know if I have my job back yet. I should know in the next couple days.
  • I actually started back today. DS is 10 weeks. Today absolutely sucks and all I can think about is going home to get him. Unfortunately, me being a SAHM isn't an option and we have no one to watch him so he has to go to daycare.  I just keep focusing on seeing that sweet face when I pick him up this afternoon.  I agree with the other ladies, is someone watching her that can bring her to visit? Or does your office have a daycare?

Oh I wish my office had a daycare. That would be amazing. It's a doctors office that I work in. The woman that I have to watch her is a friend of the family. I've known her my whole life. I'm just worried :(
  • You may want to go to the Working Moms board. It's hard at first, but it gets better. And you won't "miss everything" in your child's life. To be blunt, that's absurd. I work full time, both my kids know I'm their mom, we have incredible bonds, and I'm a better mom when I work. For one thing, I'm providing for their present and their future by working. (I make about 4 times what DH does, so if one of us were to stop working, it wouldn't be me.) Lots of moms have jobs outside the home. In fact, most do. So take a deep breath and concentrate on the fact that you are doing what is best for your child in your situation, just as every other mom (working or SAH) is trying to do.
  • I'm still deciding, took a huge paycut just for the position I had for the insurance, but now am on husbands insurance and my current job barely pays enough to cover only daycare so money-wise it's a wash. I am in the process of trying to transfer to a position that I am qualified for but have to see what kind of money they offer. HR is breathing down my neck because after my disability is up I will have been out of work 16 weeks and they won't hold my position after that.

My bottom line was that I can't return to the same position (I just don't make enough, and might as well stay home/look for another job elsewhere in the future) or I need them to offer me the one I deserve and pay a certain amount for it to make sense. It's a very tough decision and I cry about it a lot too. I want to contribute, but being fortunate enough to even have the option to stay home makes the idea of leaving baby girl an anxiety-inducing thought! ;_; I love my career though, it's unique and I worked really hard over the years to get to do what I love.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"