Multiples

Size of momma small talk

I am trying to adjust my own brain. Before getting pregnant with my first baby I was in great shape. 130lbs and 5'4" and great muscle tone. I didn't even really start showing until 14 weeks. This time around I started at 150 with not so good muscle tone, So between an out of shape me, second pregnancy and carrying twins... I have been quite roundy from the get go. At this point (13w 3d) I am as big as I was at 6 months last time. I'm not alarmed or upset about it... But it is a mental adjustment. Admittedly, I haven't taken any belly pics because I feel kind of like a cow..... I am sure I will regret it at a later date... I mean, I knew I would get bigger sooner this time, but dang, where did all this belly come from!! And of course it's way bigger by the end of the day than when I wake up in the morning. It's kind of ridiculous. And if I'm this big so early ...... there are months and months of growing babies to go! I might be creaking out a little bit. Heh Anyone else in a "how big am I going to get" kind of headspace?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Re: Size of momma small talk

• saskysasky member
    At that time I was in the exact same head space. I was freaking out about how big I was going to get. Every week I would compare my bump pics from DS1 to the twins. I looked at the late bumps of women around my size and had no idea if I could do it.

There was a point, probably late in second tri (I have a bad memory) where it plateaued. I stopped caring about size, stopped comparing, and focused on health and talking to my doctors about any potential complications.

Totally normal to feel that way, but it will get to a point where you stop worrying about size and focus on just getting through it, since aside from size, a twin pregnancy is soooo different and more difficult than a singleton

I definitely looked bigger by the end but gained right around the same as I did with the first.

Baby Boy #1 born 1/15/2010

Babies #2 & #3 arriving Spring 2014 (EDD June 18)

• I'm 31 weeks, and I understand that feeling.  I've sort of gained weight everywhere, and while I know my weight gain is what is best for my girls, there are definitely times that I feel more insecure.

With that being said, I'd definitely start taking the bump pictures of your twin pregnancy!  I also didn't feel comfortable with it, but my husband begged me to.  I honestly have no clue why he was so adamant about it, but I'm glad he was.  Not many of us are blessed with experiencing a twin pregnancy, and I really think you may regret if you don't capture it. :)

BFP: 12/2/13, EDD: 8/17/13

imageimage

Follow MacKenzie and Madison's Journey at randidooley.wordpress.com

• Loading the player...
  • JenyB6JenyB6 member

I am 34 wks and from behind you can not tell I am pregnant but from the front and side it's like BAM! I was carrying really well until last week only measuring 38 wks but seemed to have grown like crazy in the last week.   I don't know where all this baby is going to go.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • For the record I won't know for a couple more days if it's twins, (my suspension had been peeked by several factors) *but* I can really relate to how your feeling! I'm only 5"2' and I was 130 pounds of fighting weight awesomeness when I got pregnant with my daughter and this time. ....I weigh more than I did at her six week check up by 6 pounds. I had been eating carefully/exercising until I got my BFP and doing a great job (if I do say so) but now I can't focus on losing any more. I'm really trying not to focus on size/weight and just be posative about the whole thing but it's hard to switch from one mind set to another.
  • I don't take preggo pics so I don't really have anything to show you but I worry about how big I'll be. The one thing I got going for me is that I'm tall 5'9, larger boned, and fairly proportionate when it comes to torso/leg lenth. My OB has mentioned that my height will work in my favor for twins.

Unfortunately, I have thyroid issues (familial related) with unexplained weight gain. Prior to pregnancy, I could literally eat lettuce for a week and gain weight. Non-pregnant, I have a diet that I pretty much stick to that helps me maintain my weight as just "eating healthy" doesn't resolve the issues.

It took me 2.5 years to lose the weight with my daughter (40 lbs gained) and so I'm trying really hard to not gain a lot of weight with this pregnancy. My OB would like me to stay at about 35 lbs. I was 10 lbs lighter this go round than I was with my first. 

• I was in the same mindset when I first became pregnant with my twins...I gained only 30 pounds with my daughter and I am currently 37 weeks with my twin girls and I am up 50 pounds! I do have a height advantage being 5'11''. I am not nearly as big as I expected to be at this point. I think after a certain point you just forget about how much weight you are gaining/how huge you look and just focus on your babies health! Good luck!
  • I had gained weight prior to getting pregnant with the twins (took 5 IVF's and 2 miscarriages), so I was carrying extra weight when I got pregnant. I followed Dr. Luke's guidelines and did really well for the 1st and 2nd trimesters! I was put on bedrest at week 30 and that is when things fell apart. I gained at least 12lbs in the last 6 weeks of the pregnancy. Dr. Luke actually wants weight gain to slow down at the end. I ended up gaining ~45-48 lbs. I seriously lost 35lbs in 7 days after having them! I am still carrying around that extra 12lbs too. I always think of how I could have lost all of the pregnancy weight in one week if I had stayed on track with Dr. Luke's weight recommendations!

Wedding Fall 2007 Off OCP's since 9/08-started with BBT charts Saw Ob/gyn May 2009 Blood work normal except single copy of MTHFR Clomid 50mg May 2009 Clomid 50mg + IUI June 2009 Femara 5mg + IUI July 2009 Normal HSG July 2009 Femara 5mg + ovidrel+IUI August 2009 Femara 5mg +ovidrel + IUI September 2009 November 2009-normal lap December 2009-met with RE December/January-Injectible med cycle with IUI-Abnormal sperm morpology found-only 0-1% normal All Head defects. Jan/Feb 2010 1st IVF with ICSI-5 week chemical pregnancy :( Feb 2010-male infertility doc says DH's anatomy and blood work are normal so nothing he can do. :( FET July 2010-BFP! Twin m/c @ 5.5 wks :( Dec/Jan 2011 IVF #2 Only 4 eggs retrieved-Ganirelix dose messed up BFFN Feb/March 2011 IVF #3 ER 3/9 9 eggs, 7 fertilized, ET 3/14, No frosties. BFN IVF #4 ER 8/22 9R,7F ET 8/25-3 embies, 1 frostie! Beta 9/2= 54, 9/6=274, 9/8=625, 9/12=2953, 9/16 greater than 10,000. B/G TWINS born April 2012 @ 36wks & 1 day! July 2014-going back for the frozen embryo! ET 7/28, heartbeat seen at 6wks1day with SCH. Miscarriage confirmed at 6wks4days

• KDR1979 I know just what your talking about regretting those specific extra pounds! With my daughter I gained ten pounds early on, first trimester. At six months postpartum they were still hanging on. If only I had skipped them I would have gained 30 instead of 40 and been only 7 pounds above my ideal at six weeks pp. Le sigh.
  • Like KDR , I was big to start with after 8 rounds of IVF over 3.5 years. Of course I wish I hadn't gained that weight then bc I'm huge now. My twin weight gain so far is fine (about 20 pounds and I'm 25 weeks) but I am definitely gaining at least a pound a week right now... The number on the scale horrifies me but I know there's nothing I can do now. I "hope" at lot falls over after birth and then I can focus on the IF weight from b4 pregnancy... Everything hurts with all this weight!

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• No, lol. Not prophetic dreams or crazy ladies at the grocery store making predictions about twins. I'm actually talking about statistics in this case. Like I said I won't know until tomorrow but this post really stuck a chord and just wanted to say something.
  • You may have taken statistics in high school or college, it's the mathematical study of probability. Just like all genetics the likelyhood of multiples can be effected by markers or factors increasing or decreasing odds. The exception being identical twins which stay at about .03% regardless of other factors. Genetics in general are pretty interesting, I originally got into them while raising live stock. My husband is a mathematician so we discuss things like statistics pretty regularly and we both have an intrest in genetics so is been a topic of conversation lately.
  • Yes, I've definitely had a hard time mentally adjusting to the weight gain.  I got pregnant on my honeymoon so I was in great "wedding shape" beforehand.  I've just recently (I'm 28 weeks now) started putting on a lot of weight, and although everyone keeps saying I'm "all belly" I can tell in my face and it's getting to me a bit!  Of course I know the important thing is healthy babies but I can relate
  • This is why I was up front about just dropping in, because I'm not presumptuous. I realize that odds are not in favor and I'm not implying that they are. I'm simply saying I have a higher than average chance base on math. Why are you hijacking someone's post to get in my face? I'm sorry if your offended by people being superstitious knitwits on your turf but maybe you shouldn't jump to conclusions about my intentions.
  • So, @WeLiveInMaine‌ are you having twins? Keep us updated!

• I started out very big, and have "only" gained about 10 lbs at 17+ weeks. I definitely am much bigger, my scrubs are getting tight. But if its babies, you cant tell- I dont have a bump, just a belly. I havent been taking pics either :-(
    I don't worry about gaining too much, I expect it will come off after... I just want healthy babies :-)
    I am trying to keep up with Dr. Luke and my mom recommended Dr. Brewer, another forerunner in nutritional management of pregnancy and preventing problems....
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • What resources are you using for this Dr Luke? Book? Website?

• minirella said:

What resources are you using for this Dr Luke? Book? Website?

Her book is on Amazon. Here's a link https://www.drbarbaraluke.com/Books/Expecting.aspx

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• It's been a while since I started this discussion, and I have definitely grown by leaps and bounds. I will be 23weeks tomorrow and am now as big as I was at 36 weeks with my first. Ha! This is certainly an adventure! Still don't know how the babies are going to keep fitting in there!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I never claimed to have twins and in fact pointed out odds are against it. This is what I get for being up front about dropping in and trying to discuss topics like math or science with strangers on the internet. You must really enjoy guarding your little corner of the internet considering how zealous and enthusiastic you are about defending it. In all seriousness I hope it brings you lots of happiness.
  • I never claimed to have twins and in fact pointed out odds are against it. This is what I get for being up front about dropping in and trying to discuss topics like math or science with strangers on the internet. You must really enjoy guarding your little corner of the internet considering how zealous and enthusiastic you are about defending it. In all seriousness I hope it brings you lots of happiness.

I'm going to take this as a "no".

• SV917SV917 member
    edited August 2014

I never claimed to have twins and in fact pointed out odds are against it. This is what I get for being up front about dropping in and trying to discuss topics like math or science with strangers on the internet. You must really enjoy guarding your little corner of the internet considering how zealous and enthusiastic you are about defending it. In all seriousness I hope it brings you lots of happiness.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"