May 2014 Moms

Flying with baby

Wondering if you experienced mamas have any tips for the airport/ flight. Taking our guy on a 4 hour flight this week... He's pretty mellow so not super worried about being "that family" on the plane, wondering more logistics (what to pack, not pack, what worked well/not well for you).

Thanks

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
TTC Baby B since 10/2012
BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

Re: Flying with baby

• Anyone who's traveled with a kid has been "that family" at some point. It happens.

You can bring BM, formula, etc thru security, but it will get tested. If you have RTE formula you can opt for a pat down over them opening each one.

Ditto the gate checking for the stroller... just keep in mind it has to go thru the xray at security (bucket seats fit handle back and upside down). Some airlines count the diaper bag as a carry on, some don't.

I would bring RTE formula if you ff, all the Bf stuff you need if you nurse. Window seats equal babies woken up less. Change of clothes for baby, spare shirt for you. Diapers enough for a day and a half or so (get whatever formula and diape rs you don't need for the flight after you arrive). Check everything you can. Seriously. Wrangling a baby takes extra hands.

Ask any questions you want. I flew with DS cross country (and once to Hawaii) about a half dozen times in his first two years.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• We were "that family" with ds over the holidays, you can't help it. Anyone that has had kids will understand. Don't stress about what other people will think it will only make the situation more stressful.

You got great advice from PP. I would add that I would try and feed when you are taking off. I would get a bag or somethingthat will protect your carseat, ours got ripped when we checked it.

All the airlines that I have traveled with are really nice and helpful. Usually you can bored first with an infant which is nice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm flying a 5 hour flight tomorrow and am a nervous wreck! (My husband is military and gone for the month so my in laws idea of helping with the baby was to fly me alone with baby to them..)
    I changed my diaper bag to a backpack and will be wearing her in a ktan.
    Checking everything! We are flying JetBlue from Seattle to Boston.

Thanks for the tip about extra shirt for me!
  • I just got back from flying with DS. He was the BEST! I was asked for his birth certificate both ways. Security check was quick as I was able to keep him in the front carrier. I didn't have a car seat to check cause Mom has her own travel system but was told that I could just take it all the way to the plane.

Our pediatrician informed me about the breast milk (can have more than 3 Oz) & I didn't have to take it out of the bag. Dr also advised me of having pacifier or bottle at the ready to help "pop" his ears.
  • I don't have a birth certificate for her either. Was told I wouldn't need it but am bringing shot records and her discharge papers since it has her info and mine and my husbands just in case.
  • Thanks for all the great tips ladies! In excited to get this vacation started! I feel prepared now :)

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012

• Lizmullen said:
    I don't have a birth certificate for her either. Was told I wouldn't need it but am bringing shot records and her discharge papers since it has her info and mine and my husbands just in case.
    They really only care about the birth certificate as the baby looks close to 2 when they no longer fly free.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• TYLENOL! Pack Tylenol!
  • Thanks again ladies. Our guy did awesome, not one peep. Also all the packing/ security / checking procedures went smoothly since I was prepared :)

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012

• @ShanJohnNC, this shouldn't be a problem for me (in theory) since I'm not flying until late August, but what if you don't have the birth certificate yet? We can't request copies until mid-August...

In Maryland you can pick up a birth certificate on the spot after your baby is registered. It only took a couple days for DS to become official but my travel plans were very last minute so being able to do that helped. I'm sure the discharge papers given with DOB will work as @kitchencolors‌ mentioned. Worst case scenario contact the airline to confirm.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"