Multiples
Options

A note for MoMs to be

LittleLady77LittleLady77 member
edited June 2014 in Multiples
This forum and a few MoMs I know IRL helped me tremendously and I thought I should pass on some of the good advice I got and some of this mistakes I made. Obviously every baby/parent/family/situation is different so what worked for me might now work for you but I hope some of this stuff helps!

The best advice I got:
- The first 6 weeks are just surviving, it gets easier after that. Do whatever you can to get through. Accept any help you are offered. 
- Work on creating good sleepers right away.  Personally I like the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy twins".  You should be able to:
* by 6 weeks have a night time routine to help put them down for the night (mine is bath, bottle, swaddle then bed)
* by 2 months you want to be able to set them down sleepy but awake so they learn to self sooth
* apparently by 16 weeks they will develop a nap schedule, usually at 9am, 1pm and 5pm.  I'm not there yet but so far all the other sleep advice has held true. 
- Prepare early.  I had the nursery and all the baby prep stuff done by 28 weeks.  I had a complication-free pregnancy and I'm still so glad I did this! 

Mistakes I made:
- Get light car seats! I don't know what I was thinking on this one.  
- I really wish we would have taken some sort of babymoon!! I didn't want to spend money or use time off but in reality the best tool you can have is a strong partnership.  I really wish I would have prioritized time with hubby. 
- Get a twin mom support group set up early.  Meet other twin moms so you have others who know what you're going through.  Parents of singeltons just don't know some of the problems we face and it's very nice to know other twin moms. 
- Don't make grand plans for your mat leave.  I'm not talking about trips and events- those plans are doable.  I'm talking about the plans like "I'm going to deep clean, scrapbook or do some other home project".  That stuff just isn't going to happen. If you want it done, do it before they come. 
- Read books about what happens AFTER the babies come while pregnant.  I read all about pregnancy while pregnant and then when they were born I was a little clueless. 

I hope this is helpful.  Good luck MoMs to be!

imageimageimage
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: A note for MoMs to be

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    That is good advice! :) I really liked HSHHC and HSHHT too.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • Options
    Thank you!  This is such helpful advice!
    DS born August 2011
    TWINS are on the way!
  • Options
    Thank you for this. :)
  • Options
    Thank you guys!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

• Options
    This is great advice! Thanks and keep it coming... us FTMs really appreciate it!

Check out my travel blog.... www.SeeJulesTravel.com
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    This is awesome! I was just kind of freaking out thinking about how to juggle it all. Thanks ladies :)
  • Options
    Really helpful! Thank you! :) That book is next on my to-read list!
    34 years old, TTC since 12/07
    IVF #5 (CCRM) finally a success in 12/13!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Rynleigh said:
    To the MoMs with younger LOs: 

Toddlerwear: Invest in full body suit sleepers and onesies for your upcoming toddlers... you don't just get to worry about ONE baby taking their diapers off... you get to worry about them taking them off of their brother/sister, too. 

Baby gates: Siblings can be used as stepping stools and extra velocity against any baby gate you think you might be impenetrable. Seriously, consider a dutch-door for your play room - it might save your sanity. 

Car seats: Have a wide array of soft squish toys ready and available for buckle-up time. Carrying those bulky seats is nothing compared to getting your team of angry 25 pounders to stop trying to escape the throws of their evil strappy restraints. 

Schedules: Yep. They have a schedule. Each one of their very own, customized specially to ensure you are never without a pint sized friend to follow around - even when one is napping!

Books: You will never remember half the crap you read in them. Put them down before baby A conquers Mt KitchenTable and drinks your fresh coffee while baby B stuffs the cat in the dishwasher. 

This is the part I'm scared of - two toddlers.  Newborns stay where you put them.  Two year olds are always into something...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Swaddle tightly, put them in the swing, turn on the white noise LOUD.

Most of what I have read says 3/4 months for a nap routine, but I don't think it's ever to early to start. Just know that sometimes it will be a bit off. My 2yr old DD naps every day from 1-4pm. The twins usually eat around 1pm, so when they are done I swaddle, swing, white noise and they will sleep for hours while my DD naps. It's amazing! At night we are already putting them down awake at bedtime and they fall asleep on their own. They are 7 weeks.

Every day is a Marathon. Wake up prepared to run it...and then again the next day. :)

Some days are just survival and you just have to make it through. Do whatever you need to do. But try to enjoy the moments you can bc you will never have them again.

I like this saying: the days are long but the years are short...
  • Options
    I just bookmarked this so I can go back to it when I truly need a reminder. Thanks for the tips! They're certain to come in handy for this terrified FTM.
    BabyFruit Ticker

PCOS--TTC since 11/2010:   
    5 cycles of Clomid: all BFN, 1 cycle of Follistim:CP
    1 year break thanks to deployment.
    1 cycle Follistim: BFN, Lap to remove peritubal cyst May 2013
    2 cycles Follistim + trigger: BFN, Gonal F +IUI April 2014: BFP!!!!!! 

Boy/Girl Twins due Jan 5, 2015!!! 

• Options
    Thank you ladies! Very helpful :) I'll be 18 weeks tomorrow, and reality/nervousness is definitely setting in!

It's twin girls!! Born on 11-2-14!
  • Options
    These are all totally true!  :)  
    @Rynleigh - I literally LOL'd.  
    m/c my Angel Baby in 2000
    IUIs with clomid from 2009-2011   Feb 2011 - Tubal surgery (repair)  Jan 2012 - Tubal surgery (remove)  
    8/13 IVF#1.  Lupron/Follistim protocol - b/g twins born April 1 at 34 +1.  Luckiest woman in the world.
    8/15 FET #1 - transferred 1 thawed embryo - Pregnant with Baby C, it's a girl!  Due April 2016. Pregnancy Ticker  

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD.  Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans for hope and a future"   Jer 29:11
    "All things work together for good to them that love God, who are the called according to His purpose"  Rom 8:28
    "I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of salvation unto all who believe"  Rom 1:16
  • Options
    I promise, promise, promise you will get through this. I have/had PPD pretty badly. I almost walked out on my family a few times...just thinking everyone else could do this better than me. I would come back when the boys were a bit older and sleeping better. If you've had depression/anxiety before - get on the meds early - I should have done it before delivery. 

But I do promise it will get better. At 2 weeks I wrote a post on here asking when? Doubting I could do it...and I did it. We're only 3 months today, but we're doing it. I can't remember the last time I put on makeup, but we're doing it. 

It's okay not to get dressed, but at least put on clean underwear every day. :)

Find other MOMS and find them before hand. Lean on them. Find experienced MOMs and new MOMs. 

Accept any and all help that is offered and don't feel bad about it. At 3 months I still don't turn down offers for people to come hold a baby so I can shower, or nap, or offers to bring dinner over. I'll accept all offers until they stop. 

Get a housecleaner - even if it's only once/week. You deserve a clean shower, but shouldn't have to do it yourself. 

Be kind to yourself. This is hard freaking work...but you can do it. Cut yourself some slack - take care of you. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Also, babywear. Get a moby for the early weeks then figure out what you like best. I love ring slings and almost always have one of the boys in a RS. keeps me hands free when I need it - like to fold laundry, do dishes, etc. when one baby is super fussy, not sleeping. whatever. I'm working on my tandem wearing skills now when both babes are fussy. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know this list is older but I'll add to it-- reach out to those of us who've BTDT. There are a lot of us with older kids now (in the 5+ age range) and we're glad to help out and talk about things like, kindergarten, before and after school care, losing teeth, the best consignment stores because OMG HOW ARE THEY STILL GROWING SO FAST... all kinds of good stuff. 
    no day but today~ RENT  *HEG survivors*
    ::where a sig pic would go if TB wasn't a d*ck::
     Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    lynnyrd80 said:

Rynleigh said:

To the MoMs with younger LOs: 

Toddlerwear: Invest in full body suit sleepers and onesies for your upcoming toddlers... you don't just get to worry about ONE baby taking their diapers off... you get to worry about them taking them off of their brother/sister, too. 

Baby gates: Siblings can be used as stepping stools and extra velocity against any baby gate you think you might be impenetrable. Seriously, consider a dutch-door for your play room - it might save your sanity. 

Car seats: Have a wide array of soft squish toys ready and available for buckle-up time. Carrying those bulky seats is nothing compared to getting your team of angry 25 pounders to stop trying to escape the throws of their evil strappy restraints. 

Schedules: Yep. They have a schedule. Each one of their very own, customized specially to ensure you are never without a pint sized friend to follow around - even when one is napping!

Books: You will never remember half the crap you read in them. Put them down before baby A conquers Mt KitchenTable and drinks your fresh coffee while baby B stuffs the cat in the dishwasher. 

This is the part I'm scared of - two toddlers.  Newborns stay where you put them.  Two year olds
    are always into something...

Seriously lol at cat and dishwasher! This will be my house!!! And dog will be on table eating cat food cause that's how it rolls in my house! Darn dog is a toddler!!!

10 medicated IUI's (3 with injectables). 
    IUI #1 (medicated) Jan. 2013-BFP!!!!- Beta's didn't double, MTX shot for possible ectopic.
    8 IUI's between April 13-April 14 = BFN 
    IUI #10 and final before IVF, injectables May 2014- BFP!!!!  TWINS!!!!

7 week ultrasound showed 2 wonderful heartbeats!
    8 weeks to the ER with vaginal bleeding while on vacations!  Diagnosed SubChorionic Hemorrhage.  Babies are both great.
    9 week ultrasound showed both babies are still great.
  • Options
    Please keep these coming. I'm 13w6d with quads and I will take all the advice possible!
  • Options
    Thank you guys! I am 31 weeks tomorrow and really getting close and REALLY TERRIFIED!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married to M and proud mothers to Olivia and Elise (8/19/2014) and to our fur-babies: Capone (pitbull), Jax and Atticus (cats)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"