Baby Names

Which girl name do you prefer? *QUICK POLL* Please help!

edited June 2014 in Baby Names
We've finally narrowed it down to 3 names for our girl, due September 2nd. Our last name is Patrick, so try to keep that in mind where her initials are concerned. Are initials a big deal? My brother-in-law has really freaked us out! Help!!!

Which girl name do you prefer? 291 votes

Penelope (Penny) Elizabeth Patrick (PEP - PP)
26% 78 votes
Ivy Elizabeth Patrick (IEP - IP)
36% 107 votes
Daphne Rose Patrick (DRP - DP)
36% 106 votes

Re: Which girl name do you prefer? *QUICK POLL* Please help!

• parenthood4parenthood4 member
    edited June 2014
    I personally probably wouldn't do Penelope because of the initials. I don't think it's usually a big deal but I think I would avoid the initials PP

• That's what I was afraid of.  Several people say it's not a big deal, but the few that do really scare me.  It is the only name that my husband and I really agree on, but the initials may be a deal breaker.    :((
  • Loading the player...
  • I voted for Penelope, although I like Ivy too. PP initials wouldn't bother me.
  • Awesome.  In order, for my husband, it is 1. Penelope 2. Ivy 3. Daphne.
    For myself, I just can't decide.  I like Penelope the best, as long as I get comfortable with her initials, then Ivy and Daphne equally.  Naming a human is such a huge responsibility!  
  • I love Daphne Rose. 

I don't dislike any of them, though. I don't think the initials PEP or PP are bad either. IEP is an abbreviation for something in my line of work, but I'm sure that wouldn't be known by many people.
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• I think when initials happen it's most often with all three, so you don't have to worry about PP.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, IEPs are used for both gifted ed as well as special ed, but I don't even think the kids with IEPs of their own will think about it enough to use it as a jab.  I'm not worried about those initials at all.  (I assume you are talking about Individualized Education Programs...)
  • I love them all, but Daphne wins in my book.
  • I like all of them  !!  great names  - initials dont bother me 
               5 years IF & 2 losses

~~ DS Born 2/28/2013 ~~
                8lb 13 oz 22 inches 
    Happily expecting another miracle !
     EDD 11/20

• Penelope Patrick is way too many "p's" for me, even without the "PP" initials; it just sounds choppy to me. I've never really liked the sound of Daphne. It's all right. Ivy is my favorite. I'm not wild about the IEP initials but not bad.
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • I love Penelope Patrick! I don't think the initials are a big deal at all.
  • Before I married and changed my last name, my initials were P.P. I did get some teasing in elementary school but it was very mild. It was a few times from maybe one or two boys. I was pretty shy and overweight as a kid (so theoretically an easy target) but really I hardly got teased for anything. All this to say I am not scarred for life for having the initials P.P. :)

However I'll be honest and say I did find it mildly annoying when I would write my initials for paperwork. So I guess it did bother me a tiny bit. I was very happy to change my name when I got married, but that was mostly because besides starting with a "P" my last name was kind of weird.

I voted for Daphne for your poll though. Like another poster said above, I find Penelope Patrick to be just too many "p"s.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickersCafeMom Tickers

• I love them all, but I'd avoid Penelope Patrick, it's just too many P's. Daphne won out just slightly over Ivy.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

• edited June 2014
    Well, it looks as though Penelope/Penny is out anyway.  We were planning on keeping her name a secret until she was born, but somehow my husband's brother's gf just posted that we were going to name her Penelope ON FACEBOOK!  Turns out he told a bunch of people when he was back for graduation a few weeks ago that Penelope was THE NAME, meanwhile I've been telling everyone that we won't even tell them the names we're thinking about...  I asked the girlfriend to take the post down, but she's suddenly ignoring me.  Now it's just between Ivy Elizabeth and Daphne something.  Husband has now decided he doesn't like Rose... 

(I just finally told my friends back home that I was pregnant at all, yesterday, at 28 weeks, so I'm pretty upset.  We live 700+ miles from most of our family and friends, and my husband is basically a less social Sheldon Cooper.  How did this happen?!)
  • Oh, I love them all! I voted for Ivy.
  • My DH has a P last name so I pretty much ruled out all P names for initial reasons.  If it was the only name I truly loved though, I would use it.

I adore Ivy Elizabeth.

Oscar born October 2011

Miscarriage at 8 weeks (August 2013)

DD due September 1, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Tough call! I love them all, but I'd say Daphne or Penelope
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I love all of your names, Daphne Rose is my favorite by a very slim margin.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I voted for Ivy. IMO, there are too many Ps in Penelope Patrick.
  • My daughters name is Ivy, so I am partial to that. I will say, I've never got a nasty comment or side-eyed when I told someone her name. The only thing people say sometimes is "what is Ivy short for"... Uh, nothing... It's just Ivy.
  • I was going to vote Penelope but I'm not a fan of the nn Penny. I voted Daphne.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My favorite is Penelope nn Penny, but I don't love Penny Patrick.  So I voted Ivy.  I've never liked the name Daphne.
    BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are all really great, I voted for Penelope the initials wouldn't bother me, mine are MF so yeah :)
  • I like Daphne best. Penelope is a great name too, but Penelope Patrick sounds a little too much like a fictional character.  Though I'd prefer Daphne Elizabeth to Daphne Rose and Penelope Rose to Penelope Elizabeth.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • BC&LMBC&LM member
    Definitely Penelope!
  • Wow, sorry someone spilled the beans! What a crappy thing to do!
    fraternal twin boys born january 2009
  • LadymouseLadymouse member
    edited June 2014
    When I said what our son's name was, friends and family kept going "ahhhh!" "What?" "His initials.  It's what they spell."  His initials are AHH. I didn't get why they constantly pointed that out.  I'd stay away from PP, and Penelope Elizabeth is also rather long.  Good taste in names overall, though.
    DS born 12/2012
    Little Squeaker due 6/2015
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"