Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Breast Milk Production

My son was born on his due date one week ago. He wasn't getting enough milk from breast feeding alone so they had me start SNS and pumping. He is doing great with the SNS, good latch and eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The problem is, I'm not producing much milk (less than 1 oz). What is the best way to boost my milk production? Is fenugreek the best option or is there something else that other mommies have noticed works good? I have heard that a dark beer like a stout (Guinness) will boost it because of the yeast.

Re: Breast Milk Production

• Options
    Fenugreek definintely helped me, but the problem is that my LO got pretty terrible, painful gas from it (at least it stopped when I stopped taking the herb). So, just keep an eye out for that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    You should XP this on the BFing board, they are a wealth of information over there!

I guess my first question would be how do you know he's not getting enough?  You say you are producing less than 1 oz, are you determining that by how much you get when you pump?  Baby is always more efficient than the pump, so you are making more than that.  My best advice would be to put baby to the breast as often as possible, lots of skin to skin contact and call a LC. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    flclflcl member
    Congrats!!!  PPs have given you lots of good information.  Drink LOTS of water and eat well.  Taking good care of yourself is so important.  Skin on skin time also helps with milk production.  What a great excuse to get lots of cuddling time in with your LO!  The best thing to get the milk going though is to nurse your baby often.  BF him on demand.  If you absolutely have to supplement (which may get in the way of establishing the milk he needs... but you do what's best for you and baby!) pump so you're not missing that feeding time.  The more you get the milk out the more milk your body thinks baby needs.  Definitely check out the BF board and kellymom.com.  Both have been so helpful for me on the crazy BF journey.  GL!!
  • Options
    May be just me, but cheerios boost my supply every time. I have to be seriously careful with them because i love them and get an over supply very easily. I think it's the oats because I've heard the same of oatmeal from others.
  • Options
    My son was born on his due date one week ago. He wasn't getting enough milk from breast feeding alone so they had me start SNS and pumping. He is doing great with the SNS, good latch and eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. The problem is, I'm not producing much milk (less than 1 oz). What is the best way to boost my milk production? Is fenugreek the best option or is there something else that other mommies have noticed works good? I have heard that a dark beer like a stout (Guinness) will boost it because of the yeast.
    According to one article I read it is beer in general and nonalcoholic works just as well.  

When you say you are producing less than one ounce, how frequently is that? Is that pumping immediately or shortly after feeding him directly from the breast?
  • Options
    I find that I can hand express 1-2oz AFTER pumping, even with the top-of-the-line medela hospital grade pump. Try it, it might help you completely empty the breast (which is great to get all the hind milk ) and signal the brain that more milk is needed.
  • Options
    Putting him on my breast, even if he just lies there playing with the nipple, and then pumping (even before the real milk came in) signaled that I needed more milk. My milk came in with a vengeance on the 3rd night.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"