Parenting after 35
Options

We're done :(

Well, our breastfeeding journey has come to an end.

A couple days ago we got off schedule and I was 2 hrs late pumping so I decided this was it. 48 hrs later I regretted it and freaked out trying to find out if I could still pump and build my supply back or if it was too late. I decided to pump and I got 2 ounces. I found I was very relieved and just not yet emotionally ready to stop. Then last night I pumped and got...practically nothing. So I guess that's it.

I know I will be happy to get my body back, and I'm glad I made it to 6 months. I'm sure the sadness will ease as this begins to feel "normal." I sure never expected it to be this hard.
Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.

Re: We're done :(

• Options
    6 months is awesome!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Agree with pp- 6months is great!  I think being a little emotional is to be expected!  What a blessing you were able to provide bm for as long as you did!  My poor lo is only nurxing 1-2x a day at 11 wks so... it's mostly just for comfort of course, probably mine as much as his!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congrats on making it to 6 months!  That was my goal as well, but my body had other ideas!  Awesome job!
  • Options
    steverstever member
    6 months is awesome!
    6 months IS awesome!
  • Options
    Congratulations! My pedi said that four months is the norm and the best breast milk makes the most difference in the first six months. You did great!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks you guys. I'm not sure how much of a difference I've made since my supply is so low. She's only been getting 3 or 4 ounces a day.

I have a bit of an update actually. After posting this, the next night I felt full. I decided to pump and see if I got anything. I got an ounce. Out of curiosity I pumped again in the morning and got another ounce. This morning I actually got almost 2 ounces. Could I be bouncing back? If so I really want to keep going. I'm not sure how to proceed to try to bring my supply up again. If I add in some power pumping then go back to just 2 pumps a day would that bring my supply up? Or would it just go down again once I dropped the extra sessions? I just don't know...
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    Geeps2Geeps2 member
    Not sure if you checked out this website (Kelly Mom) or not but I go to it often when I have a question about breastfeeding/pumping.  There are a bunch of articles to check out about pumping but you can narrow your search by using the search bar on the site if you don't see anything that helps.

If you want to continue, I don't think it's too late if you are still producing milk.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Geeps! I added my morning pump back in and I'm getting just shy of 2 ounces with that one. I also threw in an afternoon pump the past 2 days to try to stimulate production but I only get about half an ounce from that one. My evening pump didn't even give me quite an ounce last night. I'm not sure if I need to do some power pumping or go back to pumping every 3 hours (ugh) to get supply back up. I can't really find anything dealing with starting to wean then changing your mind. It pretty much feels like I'm winging it now. The goal is to get supply back up then go back to just 2 pumps a day. I don't know if it's even possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"