May 2014 Moms
Options

baby shaking - neck support?

So maybe I'm being paranoid, but now that LO is getting better neck control, when I burp him (sitting up holding his chin) he wants to pull out of me supporting his chin/neck. He is a very gassy baby so I have to burp him a lot but I'm worried the action of patting his back while he tries to hold his head up (with me trying to hold it up too) could jiggle him enough to lead to the same kind of injury shaken babies get.
Again, probably being paranoid.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
When Fluff Mail Arrives:

Re: baby shaking - neck support?

• Options
    It takes way more force than you'll ever apply while burping him to cause shaken baby type injuries. Mine likes to pull his head up and look around too. I just support it as best I can with my palm while he looks around.
  • Options
    cnbeancnbean member
    I do this too. Don't worry, it takes much more force to hurt them than you will be using to burp them. 
    image    image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    ISeeYouRN said:

If aggressive burping caused shaken baby syndrome my DS would have been suffering weeks ago. It takes a lot of force to do any damage. DS also likes to lift his head off me then smash it onto my face or chest like a serious head butt then scream his face off like it was my fault. If anyone is getting injured in our relationship it's me!

Haha I am also getting head butted and kicked in the gut on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Yes, you are being paranoid. My kid could win the olympic sport for head diving.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I get headbutted and she like to try and find the middle of my chest but misses...  sometimes off my shoulder.  No problems.
  • Options
    Thanks all!

Yes the headbutting and shoulder diving makes me think he's a little more resilient than I first thought.

I was visiting my dad and he was so concerned about supporting his neck it made me paranoid yesterday.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    My LO also pulls his head away when I burp him. I just try to support him as much as possible. And oh the headbutts to the face and chest I could do without. Also my LO likes to throw himself to the left side when I'm holding him on my chest... And then he likes to gum my arm/shoulder... My favorite thing he has done so far is bite MH nose when he is hungry. Oh it's just great, I can't help it but laugh.
  • Options
    They will get way worse head trauma as toddlers. Just putting that out there. Shaken baby syndrome is a whole different ballgame than a NB head bonk.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    Haha I just laughed so hard!! I thought only my crazy baby was trying to suck my arm. I stopped breast feeding 2 weeks ago... He is still looking for it though lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"