May 2014 Moms

Anyone struggling with Baby Blues or Post Partum Depression?

I've been having a bit if a hard time lately and wanted to know if anyone had any advice or experience dealing with this? I went to the dr and they feel that it is post partum, but the counselor they had me speak with said it's too early to diagnose me. My baby is only 1week.

Best Answers

• MerryLoveMerryLove member
    Answer ✓
    At one week I had terrible baby blues...crying every day, sometimes to the point of hyperventilating. Most of the time I couldn't even pinpoint why I was so sad. Now I'm two and a half weeks out and I'm totally back to my old self...except for being super tired all the time! I would agree with your counselor since it's only been one week, give it some time and things may turn around. I hope you feel better soon, I know how awful it feels to have your hormones so out if control. Also, good for you for seeking help early - if things don't even out on their own you'll already have a good support system in place and that can make all the difference. You'll be in my thoughts and I hope you feel better soon!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • apinkpelicanapinkpelican member
    Answer ✓
    Good advice from the ladies so far. Week 1 was So. F-ing. Hard. Keep a close eye in it (sounds like u are) but hopefully after another few days you'll start to perk up a bit. Try to pin point what parts are most overwhelming. For me it was the BFing. I dreaded every 2 hrs of the day and cried so much. At day 11 I saw a LC and a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders as she helped me so much. Ask for help too! Can anyone sit with baby while you nap or shower? Hoping you are feeling better soon. Know that it does get better!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • manna1212manna1212 member
    Answer ✓
    I also struggled a lot the first week or so. I would get easily overwhelmed and cry. BF really stressed me out at first on top of all the postpartum effects from giving birth. I am doing much better the last week or so, feel back to my old self. I hope you start to feel better soon! Good for you for seeking out help!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SweetTea420SweetTea420 member
    Answer ✓
    I was diagnosed with PPD at 4 weeks postpartum. I had a little bit of the baby blues the first week and was fine until DH went back to work a week later. He works nights and that is when I felt the worst. I was very afraid to be left alone with the baby. I was so anxious that my jaw ached and I wasn't sleeping or eating.

It is good that you are aware you are feeling this way. I tried to push through it and by the time I decided to get help I was pretty bad off, to the point I didn't want anything to do with my son. Two weeks later I feel a million times better and almost back to normal.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • yvanehtniojyvanehtnioj member
    Answer ✓
    The first week was so hard, the second week less so but still not great. I too wondered if having a baby was a huge mistake and I kept thinking we had screwed up a good thing (our
    old child free life). I also didn't feel like my son was mine. I felt the need to care for him but I couldn't fathom that he was my actual child. It's still slowly sinking in. And I got sad at around 5 every day too! Couldn't even really say why. I feel much better this week but my husband goes back to work tomorrow.

I think you will ultimately be ok since you seem aware of what could be happening. There are many options besides medication. I think medication might work fastest, and you don't want to lose critical weeks waiting for alternative therapies to take root. I used outdoor exercise to help get myself out of a clinical depression 10 years ago and it took about a month before I felt better. Either way, don't skip the doc if you feel it's not just the baby blues. Good luck & feel better.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

Re: Anyone struggling with Baby Blues or Post Partum Depression?

• Like PP said I would given it a week or so. Just keep a close eye on it. At least you've made others aware that yiu could have it. The first 3 weeks I would cry over everything. I was very depressed and didn't think I could be a mother. I thought I might have had post partum. But I think once my hormones leveled out I was back to normal.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Definitely don't rule out the possibility, but at a week pp it's hard to tell. Try keeping a journal of how you're feeling day to day, it might help with a diagnosis down the road. I wish I had noticed mine sooner last time. Hopefully it's just hormones trying to balance back out.
  • I had bad baby blues for about 2 weeks. My LO is 3.5 weeks and I notice a significant improvement. Just keep an eye on things, but hopefully the hormones will even out soon and you'll feel better!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Thank you for the great advice. I feel like I'm a different person and will never feel better. I know my feelings and worries don't make sense logically, but I can't get past them. I feel regret even though I know that sounds horrible. I feel like I'm not going to get better and it's scary. I love my baby, but life is so much harder now.
  • Every night around 5pm I would get so anxious and just feel like crying. I think it was because I had a traumatic night in the hospital with the baby nursing for 2 hours straight and still crying. This lasted about a week. Now I feel great and know it was all the hormones. Give it some time. I was really worried about PPD and even had a talk with my husband before I delivered and basically said if you notice PPD and I'm in denial, make me get help. It's good you are on top of it!
  • So good to know it's not just me. Makes me feel like I have hope because all I can think is that I am never going to go back to normal self.
    For those that have post partum depression is medication the only help?
  • fraseyfrasey member
    There are many other/alternative ways to treat PPD. Things like exercise, spending time outside when possible, diet, and Im sure there are others as well. Try googling or talking to your doc. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• britabbritab member
    Thanks for this post! I've been feeling like I turned into a cow that will never be able to have a moment alone. I'm glad to hear things get better!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Just had my follow-up with the dr today. I told her how I thought I had a reaction to the the Zoloft she gave me and she wants me to try it again. I'm not sure that I want to since I seem to be doing better.
    I am still down and anxious, but I seem to have one bad episode a day, but do okay other times of day. I'm just hoping things get better over time.
    What's weird is that I feel like myself at my MIL's house. Not sure why, but I enjoy going over there.

Anyone able to get through this without meds?
  • Yes! I had "baby blues" bad for the first 2 weeks. I would cry all the time and had no idea why! I hated bf'ing and would cry every time my lo was hungry because I dreaded breastfeeding. I felt so alone all the time even though I had my lo with me, which was weird. I stopped breastfeeding around 2 weeks and that helped alot. Also, I made sure to get out and do some "normal" things that I did before she was born. Even just going and walking around Target helped me. My baby will be 3 weeks tomorrow and I am feeling much better. I still have anxiety sometimes about something bad happening to her (I have no idea why I am so worried about this). Saturday we were at my in laws and i started to feel upset/anxious when everyone was holding her... i wanted her back. For the most part, I feel back to normal! Hang in there, I know its rough!
  • @SweetTea420‌ glad to hear you are feeling better.
    Do you mind if I ask what helped to get you better? Was it meds alone or it just passed?
  • It was the meds. I'm on 50mg of Zoloft.
    TTC since 10/11
    Me, 26- Normal. DH, 28- Low morphology (2-4%)
    August 2013 100mg Clomid+TI=BFP!
    Beta #1,2,3=136, 1351, 5328
    BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage
  • The first week was really hard for me too.  I just kept wishing we could go back to the hospital where the nurses and doctors were there to help and cheer me on.  I definitely cried a lot for no real reason, and I'm not a crier - so that really surprised me.  Week 2 was better and now that we're almost done with week 3, I feel even more confident, though my son has started showing signs of colic which terrifies me!  What I didn't expect was how lonely maternity leave is!  Reaching out to my family and constantly emailing and calling them has really helped.  Hang in there everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"