May 2014 Moms

Micah's birth story

Short version: Micah Alexander came into the world 6/6 at 10:01 weighing 6 pounds and 5 ounces, 19 inches long, despite being a week overdue! He's our tiny trooper! It took us 37 hours of active labor to get him here, but we now have a healthy happy baby so it was allllllllll worth it!

Long version:
Tuesday night: Started having contraction 10 minutes apart for a good 6 hours and then they died out to nothing. This was from about 9-3. Finally fell asleep around 4 and got up at 8.

Wednesday night: Started having contraction 4-5 minutes apart. Went into hospital at about 9pm and got sent home because I was only a fingertip dilated. Did not sleep at all because contractions continued to be about 4-5 minutes apart through the night.

Thursday: Contractions got more painful so I went back to the hospital around 9am. I was still only 1 cm dilated but because I was making some progress and having strong contractions they said I could stay or go. I chose to go home to labor. Came back to the hospital around 3  this time we were admitted at 3 cm. I was attempting to do a non-medicated natural birth. But things don't always go according to plan. At about 9pm, after 6 hours of having contractions 3-4 minutes apart, I was still only 3 cm. I was exhausted since I had only gotten 4 hours of sleep in the past two nights. My body could not progress due to exhaustion. So I got the epidural 10pm and my bags of water broken. I was able to rest and sleep from 11pm-4am.

Friday: When I got checked at 4am I was 7cm dilated! I was then too excited to sleep! This baby was really coming! At around 7:00 my epidural stopped working and I could feel everything! I guess the needle had slipped and so the medicine was no longer going where it needed to be. My body was going through transition at that point so I was having pretty much back to back contractions. They re-did my epidural at about 9:00. When they did that my body instantly relaxed which caused me to go from 8cm dilated to 10cm in about 5 seconds. This caused my baby to drop quickly and he kinda freaked out. His heart had almost completely stopped beating. All of the sudden there were 7 nurses/doctors in my room all yelling orders at each other, getting me on oxygen and telling me we were headed to the OR and that my husband couldn't come. I swear I have never been so scared in all of my life. Once we got into the OR room they checked his heart rate again and it had risen. They said we could try a vaginal delivery but they wanted to keep me in the OR room just in case his heart rate fell again. Then they brought my DH in. It was go time and I was determined to get this baby out quickly to try to prevent a c section. After about 6 or 7 contractions of pushing Micah came into the world. He is healthy, beautiful, and perfect. It was a hard and scary delivery but he is so worth it. We are so in love!

Re: Micah's birth story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"