May 2014 Moms
Options

XP from BFing Board: Talk to me about tongue-tie/correction

So I finally saw a LC today. DD just turned 1 month on Wednesday, and I've been having some concerns since about 2 1/2 weeks. Namely: lots of gas, spitting up after almost every feeding, general fussiness during feedings, and not seeming content after a feeding. I assumed it was reflux and something she'd have to outgrow, but it turns out she is tongue tied on the top and bottom. I feel silly for not considering this a possibility sooner, but here we are. 

I have a consult with a pediatric dentist on Monday to talk about having it corrected. What are other mom's experience with this? I'm concerned that because we got the DX a little late in the game that the procedure/recovery might be a little more traumatic for her. Also, I'm afraid that even after correction it'll take a while longer to really resolve the issues because it'll be like learning how to eat for her all over again. The LC didn't seem to be too concerned, but she agreed that it might benefit us to have a few more follow-ups with her after the procedure to help the re-learning process along. 

I just want a happy, content baby and a joyful BFing experience for both of us. Do any moms have experience having this done around this age? Most people I've heard about with this issue have had it corrected within the first 2 weeks and it was NBD. Just curious to hear other's stories. So please share!
BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3

Re: XP from BFing Board: Talk to me about tongue-tie/correction

• Options
    DS1 had a tongue tie that wasn't diagnosed until he was 4 months old. At 3 months he started slowing in weight gain (falling off the curve) and started wanting to nurse every hour around the clock. I saw a LC who found the tongue tie and diagnosed me with low supply. I had an OALD for 3 months so that's why he had no issues getting milk then but once it slowed down at 3 months DS wasn't able to latch well enough to extract milk. I saw a pedi dentist and had both his top lip and tongue tie lazered. The procedure was really fast (3 minutes maybe?). DS1 screamed and cried but as soon as it was done I held him close and nursed him and he was totally fine. It healed very nicely and improved his latch so my suply picked back up.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I had my tongue clipped at age 18 during a wisdom tooth extraction and my lower lip frenum clipped at age 21 and both were NBD even though I'd been eating and talking for so many years. The discomfort was negligible, not even as bad as some mild coffee burns and canker sores I've had. In fact, I didn't even realize the oral surgeon had clipped my tongue until he mentioned it at my 10-day follow-up. It's nothing at all to a baby, even after 2 weeks. And there's rarely a relearning process. Most can nurse immediately and latch is corrected in just a couple of feedings.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mrsbtobe20122mrsbtobe20122 member
    edited June 2014
    There are no nerve endings in the frenulum. It takes two seconds to clip, you both will be much happier. Ive never heard of anyone getting the top clipped though-- not around here anyway.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    Dd got her ULT (upper lip tie) fixed by lase just one day shy of 2 weeks. The whole process took about 45 seconds. It was a lot harder on me than her. She hated her head being held. Plus I was holding her body and another gal holding her arms. As soon as it was over she was fine and took right back to nursing.
    I think she has a posterior tongue tie too. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion about it.
    Look for the FB group called Tongue Tied Babies Support Group. It's an amazing page with lots of info. There are a few Dr on there too v

Lilypie Maternity tickers

My Hooligans.....Samuel Brice-Fritzgerald (6/30/10) and Payton Elizabeth (7/23/08)

FEB SIGGY CHALLENGE
    favorite wedding picture

• Options
    We are getting my LO's tongue and lip ties released next week (he will be 4 weeks that day). From what I've heard, it is helpful at any age. A second opinion doesn't hurt, but the sooner you do it, if you're going to do it, the better!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    kb2bkkkb2bkk member
    We had DD's tongue and upper lip released. The tongue they did in the hospital and the lip was done by a pedi dentist on our first day home. She was a class 4 (out of 4) for both and couldn't latch or suck on a bottle. She basically chomped on the bottle to get the milk out. DH went with her for her tongue tie and by the time she was done and wheeled back from the nursery she was out cold. The part of the procedure DD hated was having her arms pinned down. The procedure itself she didn't even flinch. We didn't get to watch the lip tie, but after it DH gave her a bottle and once again she was fine and relaxed.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
  • Options
    @LunaBug924‌ the symptoms you describe sound rather familiar. Hmmm. After the LC pointed out the tongue and lip ties could you see them or their resulting limitations like only sticking tongue out so from (how far?), etc.?

Anyway good luck - hope getting them clipped helps!
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    @springbeduk2 I definitely saw what she was talking about. DD can't stick her tongue out and when she tries it makes a heart shape. Also her top lip is significantly smaller than the bottom and always tucks under when she nurses.

So basically because she can't get a good seal with her latch she's sucking in a lot of air too. You can actually hear it, it sounds like clicking or sometimes gulping. This is why her nursing sessions are so short (usually less than 10 min) because she's only filling half her tummy with milk, the other half with air. So she feels full but then she's in pain because of the gas. On the other hand, she's usually only getting the foremilk which is high in lactose and not enough of the hindmilk. So she's breaking out in a little rash and has more dirty diapers than she should because her digestive system is in overdrive. It really did make a lot of sense when it was all laid out like that.

BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Options
    We didn't have DD#1
    Done until she was 6 weeks and it was sill just a really easy, in the doctors office procedure. Little bit of bleeding, I nursed her right away, after that she was fine. It was no different than when DS's was done at 10 days old.

• Options
    We are getting Jackson's released this week (both tongue and lip ties). He will be 4 weeks on the dot. The research I've done leads me to believe that the benefits will be 100% worth the procedure (which is sure to be more stress on the parent than the baby).

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    I had my Brooke's done at 2 weeks. I cried and she did not lol there was a lot of blood ( prepare yourself) but she latched immediately after and has gain 2 pounds in 3 weeks! Bf is not longer painful or frustrating and I'm 100% happy we got the procedure for her. They aren't sure if its genetic but I find it interesting that my brother sister and cousin have all had tongue ties also
  • Options
    Going through this now as well. DD is 7 days old. LC diagnosed it and is sending us to ENT at UCSF. She's having issues latching and can't get enough milk as a result. My nipples are raw and damaged- better now working with a shield and also pumping.

I'm sure your LO will be fine. I think this procedure "hurts" us moms more than the babies.
  • Options
    @LunaBug924‌ thank you for that description! It was way clearer than what I've seen in books.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"