May 2014 Moms
Options

I am terrified - we have hand foot and mouth disease in our house UPDATE

vszappvszapp member
edited June 2014 in May 2014 Moms
DD (27 mos) has a high fever, and we just found out she was exposed to HFMD 5 days ago. I am so scared that DS (5 weeks tomorrow) will get it. It is so contagious, I think there's pretty much no way he hasn't been exposed - she wipes her nose on my shirt and gets in his face in spite of out best efforts. Anyone have any experience with this? I am going to lose it....

Update: she has it for sure. Hand and foot sores started appearing today. DH and I have both had mild sore throats for a few days too, so I'm guessing we both got it. Now the waiting game begins. Yikes.

Re: I am terrified - we have hand foot and mouth disease in our house UPDATE

• Options
    HFMD is luckily one that looks worse than what it is. I always notice it doesn't bug them that much just looks awful. I don't think their is any complications but that's for a tot not a little babe.

Maybe google or pedi?

I'm sure though LO will be fine just limit the contact and cover any open sores with a bandaid or clothes.
  • Options
    DH and I both got it a few years back. I didn't feel too miserable but like PP said, it looked terrible. We had sores all through our mouths and I had it on my feet. It was like having a cold except with the sores. I think it is pretty common and complications are rare. I freaked out when I had it cause I thought I had leprosy or something because it looked so much worse than it was
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ug, I hate HF&M. DD1 had it and it was awful. The throat sores are what make it bad. We had to do both tylenol and advil to help the pain and still she woke up every couple hours from the pain. DD1 had had a "cold" since baby and we just had her not touch of breathe on DD2, we got through with no issues. Once the fever is gone, they aren't supposed to be contagious anymore. Good luck!

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    In my experiance 5 days is early to show symptoms. HFM takes about 10 to start showing its face. The first few days are miserable but after that it looks much worse than it feels.
    Also, once symtoms start to show it's actually less contagious than early on. After an outbreak kids with sores are fine to go back to daycare because they are no longer contagious and anyone who's going to be exposed has been.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS (2.5) was just diagnosed with this today. Ugh. I had it in college, so um hoping that means DD and I have some immunity. Coxsackievirus is one of the scarier things a newborn can be exposed to. HFM is only one of the diseases it causes.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    Ugh that sucks! Hope though he's on the mend and LO stays healthy!
  • Options
    vszappvszapp member
    jenb_99 said:

DS (2.5) was just diagnosed with this today. Ugh. I had it in college, so um hoping that means DD and I have some immunity. Coxsackievirus is one of the scarier things a newborn can be exposed to. HFM is only one of the diseases it causes.

DD just had it in February!! I can't believe she got it again. There are a bunch of strains that cause it, unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"