May 2014 Moms

Swimming?

Is it too soon to take my baby swimming? She hasn't had her shots yet & I'm nervous about the neighborhood pool... Also, is it safe to use sunscreen on 6wk old?

Re: Swimming?

• No sunscreen until 6 months, and I would not be taking the baby in a public pool this early but maybe ask your ped.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• Sblue3Sblue3 member
    Copper tone baby makes a pure and simple sunscreen. I think nutregena makes something similar. Those are safe on infants skin. As far as swimming, I took my daughter in when she was 5 wks, but it was our own private salt water pool.
    I would be concerned with the chlorine on babies skin and all the germs from strangers in the water. I would wait until 6 wks shots for sure before entering a public pool.
  • Loading the player...
  • usernewnameusernewname member
    edited June 2014
    Swim lessons start at 4 months in my city. I'd probably go then and shower after. I wouldnt go in the water with them during a free swim when it's crazy but a more quieter time.

Some people use zinc oxide and coconut oil for an early sunscreen. No experience but I plan on researching it.
  • No advice on swimming but I have aveeno baby lotion with sunscreen that's supposed to be safe.

• We have our own pool, but we're waiting until their next appointment to make sure the pediatrician will allow the pool time before we get them out there. I'm not sure about the sunscreen. I know there's something out there that's safe, but I can't remember what it is.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

• cnbeancnbean member
    Personally I plan to wait until around 3 months to take him swimming. By then babies tend to have pretty decent neck control. I would ask your pedi what they recommend about swimming and about sunscreen just to make sure.
    image    image

• I took our son into my parents pool (salt water) around three months. Our ped said no sunscreen until at least four months preferably six months. We just put a giant table umbrella over a section of the pool and hung out with him there.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    We have already been in although just her feet and lower legs and only in my in laws private pool. Basically someone is on the shaded area and hold her on their chest with her hat on and usually a small hospital blanket over her for more protection We use aveeno baby as they dropped the 6 month rec on sunscreen and rinse her off afterwards. And she doesn't stay in long.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JAM85 said:

We have already been in although just her feet and lower legs and only in my in laws private pool. Basically someone is on the shaded area and hold her on their chest with her hat on and usually a small hospital blanket over her for more protection We use aveeno baby as they dropped the 6 month rec on sunscreen and rinse her off afterwards. And she doesn't stay in long.

Where did you see that they have dropped that rec? The link to the fad that I posted was updated 1 month ago and still says not until 6 months.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• My pedi said sunscreen is fine. She told us a brand name of one that is actually labeled as safe for newborns, but basically they just say 6 months and up because the manufacturers don't want to jump through all the hoops required to put infant use on the label.
    BabyFruit Ticker 

image image image image image
    Married since June 2012
    EDD May 2014
  • My pedi said sunscreen is fine. She told us a brand name of one that is actually labeled as safe for newborns, but basically they just say 6 months and up because the manufacturers don't want to jump through all the hoops required to put infant use on the label.
    This is really good to know thanks!
    TTC Since July 2012
    BFP #1 11/07/12   M/C 12/11/12
    BFP #2 2/23/13    M/C 03/6/13
                       BFP #3 9/2/13  EDD 05/17/14                     
    Amy Elaine Born May 2!

• My pedi said that sunscreen is fine now (5weeks), but to use the physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide rather than the chemical blockers. Also, she said keeping them out of the sun is preferred to being in the sun with sunscreen. She also said chlorine is fine.
  • My pedi said that sunscreen is fine now (5weeks), but to use the physical blockers like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide rather than the chemical blockers. Also, she said keeping them out of the sun is preferred to being in the sun with sunscreen. She also said chlorine is fine.

I agree, everything I have researched says that physical sunscreens are enter than chemical sunscreens. Some good ones I have seen recommended are Blue Lizard, Badger, and California Baby.

• We start swimming at 12 weeks.
    If you're comfortable now go for it.
    Re: sunscreen-- we use Blue Lizard. Highly recommend it.

• I took our son for a dip in my parents pool, he is 5 weeks & he loved it! Made it quick as it was sunny but I think it's fine now & then
  • kb2bkkkb2bkk member
    Regarding sunscreen - like others have said zinc and titanium dioxide are safe for newborns. I love Badger and Blue Lizard.

Some diaper rash creams actually have zinc oxide as the active ingredient.
    BabyFruit Ticker 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"