May 2014 Moms
Options

Those with Overactive Letdown - how are you dealing?

I have overactive letdown (and possible oversupply) in my right breast. It has made breastfeeding a nightmare. I'm going to see another LC on Monday (3rd one) and if I don't come up with some sort of solution, I think I'm going to start pumping full-time.

LO is 2 weeks and seems miserable when feeding. I'm currently block feeding, heavily favouring my left "good" breast and I pump my right breast in the morning and evening to try to tame the flow a bit. If he's really hungry I will have to nurse from both breasts so it becomes misery basically. I express some milk into a cloth diaper or little container (to save) before he latches on, but he has to gulp the milk so fast he is super gassy and usually spits up a lot of what he eats after feeding off my "bad" breast. And we are usually both covered in milk after a feeding requiring us both to change clothes. 

It is so frustrating!! I thought nursing was supposed to calm babies and put them to sleep. When we have a nursing session it ends up in him screaming from gas and discomfort or he is still hungry but won't take my boob anymore, and I need to change my shirt and nursing bra because I'm covered in breast milk. Yesterday I had to shower after a seession because it had sprayed and dripped everywhere.

Is anyone else dealing with this? I've read everything I can online about it and I'm trying all the little tips and tricks. But I really want to know when he will be able to "catch up" to my letdown and/or if this will correct itself eventually. I really hope someone else has a good news story for me, because I don't think I can keep going like this for much longer ... I can't believe having too much supply is making me want to quit breast feeding.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
When Fluff Mail Arrives:

Re: Those with Overactive Letdown - how are you dealing?

• Options
    I am dealing with this too. The worst part is I've done all the recommended remedies but the foremilk/ hindmilk imbalance making baby super gassy and uncomfortable. It makes putting him down nearly impossible.

Of course DH never has issues when he gives him a pumped bottle...

I'm seriously considering just EP until I go back to work or just formula feeding.

Mrs. B's Ovulation Chart
    TTC Baby B since 10/2012
    BFP#1 12/27/12 II TWIN GIRLS II D&C 2/15/13 TRAP sequence

Clomid + TI + Acupuncture x 2 cycles

BFP#2 9/5/13 II EDD 5/16/14 II Beckett Ryan born May 10, 2014

• Options
    @jkanter107I was using a shield before I discovered this issue because LO had some breathing issues in the hospital and wouldn't latch. A nurse suggested a shield to give his nose a bit more room. The 2 LC's I saw helped us work on his latch with the goal of not using a shield. We worked on it this week and I was so proud that we got him latching well without using the shield. But now I am thinking of going back to it to help with this issue.

I was so worried to keep using the shield because the LCs told me it would reduce my supply. So I was pumping a lot to make up for the shield, and I think that has caused the issue with my over supply. I'm so conflicted about using the shield. It really just made everything work, but it seems like they are so frowned upon so I wanted to stop using it - and now his latch is the least of my worries.

@mrsbtobe20122 The fore/hindmilk imbalance is what convinced me I have overactive letdown. I noticed LOs poop was getting so runny. That and he wouldn't nurse for very long (like 10 minutes tops) and the more I read the more he has "symptoms" of OALD.

I think I will try the nipple shield tonight and tomorrow and see how his nursing goes. I feel like I'm going in circles!!
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been dealing with this for the last couple of days. First my left breast was engorged and now it's the right. I feed while reclined so that gravity helps pull milk back a bit rather than hitting her full force. After we nurse, I use a cold compress on the breast for at least 30 mins to slow down milk production. That's been working for us so far.
  • Options
    @spacepotatoes and @kitchencolors We've tried the side-lying position and that is hit miss for him to actually latch. Right now, because his right arm is broken and wrapped across his chest to heal he isn't a fan of the "baby led latching" position because he would have to lie on his arm. His wrap is supposed to come off after Friday, so maybe we can try that over the weekend.
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    @spacepotatoes and @kitchencolors We've tried the side-lying position and that is hit miss for him to actually latch. Right now, because his right arm is broken and wrapped across his chest to heal he isn't a fan of the "baby led latching" position because he would have to lie on his arm. His wrap is supposed to come off after Friday, so maybe we can try that over the weekend.
    We don't do side lying, I just lean back so that I'm at an angle rather than sitting upright and LO has to suck upward.

Hopefully the poor guy heals soon and you can try a few other things.
  • Options
    What about something like Milkies? Put it on five minutes before you nurse so it can catch some of that first flood?

Or would that just increase supply?

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    jenb_99 said:
    What about something like Milkies? Put it on five minutes before you nurse so it can catch some of that first flood? Or would that just increase supply?
    I've been looking into those since I think I leak like 4 ounces when I nurse. They are hard to find in Canada (at least in my area). I don't think they would affect supply since it just catches the leaking, it doesn't stimulate more milk to flow. (Right now I shove a newborn prefold diaper in my shirt over my non-nursing breast to catch the leak - which still usually gets through to my shirt).
    When Fluff Mail Arrives:
  • Options
    @RachelCA29‌ Who frowns upon shields? Are they the ones trying to feed your baby? Nope! :) You do what works, and don't feel guilty about it! If you're happy and LO is fed and happy, you done good, mama.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    It will get better! At 2 weeks I was in the same spot as you. Now at 5 weeks, things are leveling off more and I'm not having to pump 2x day for relief!

I didn't have this problem with DS1 as I was having issues with low supply so this was all new to me!

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Options
    I am dealing with this especially on my left. I let Edith nurse at the left and when she starts choking and pulses off, I spray as much as I can into a burp cloth and then latch her back on. I frequently burp her throughout and continue to use that breast for the next feeding as well. Then we switch to the better behaved right side. It is still a forceful letdown but she seems to deal with it better. She continues to be super gassy....but over the last few days my supply has evened out and I'm not engorged anymore - thank God! @kitchencolors‌ I can't figure out side lying either. I'll have to try your way of nursing with her on top. So far we've only done the cross cradle and football hold.

Welcomed our rainbow baby 5/20/2014! It's a girl!

• Options
    @cindythelou We do cross cradle too. I latch her like usual, sitting up, and once she's on, I just lean back and put my feet up to support the pillow LO is on.
  • Options
    We were dealing with this, but manually expressing and pumping for relief has been helping in addition to cross cradle holding at an angle so his head is upright. I try to lay back so he has to work a little harder to suck the milk "up." It was really stressful for about 3-4 days, but my little manual pump along with the new positions do enough to help relieve the pressure. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Call me dumb, but....
    Aren't all breastfed babies' stools loose? How can a foremilk/hind milk imbalance be charted through stools?

It took my little guy until he was almost 4 weeks to reach birthweight, and his stools are always loose, so I'm curious as to how to monitor this.
  • Options

jenb_99 said:

What about something like Milkies? Put it on five minutes before you nurse so it can catch some of that first flood?

Or would that just increase supply?

I've been looking into those since I think I leak like 4 ounces when I nurse. They are hard to find in Canada (at least in my area). I don't think they would affect supply since it just catches the leaking, it doesn't stimulate more milk to flow. (Right now I shove a newborn prefold diaper in my shirt over my non-nursing breast to catch the leak - which still usually gets through to my shirt).
    I have one I can ship to you (I'm in Canada as well). It can be sterilized in boiling water and is safe for multiusers. Let me know if you want it. I've only used it like 4-5 times. I don't leak enough while nursing so its useless for me.

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    JAM85JAM85 member
    Mine has gotten a lot better at 4 weeks now but the gas is the worst issue from it with her pain and spit up from it. Most recently block feeding every two feedings- so she is on the same boob for two in a row (she normally only eats from one) has helped a lot with the imbalance issue I think and the spit up. Plus i pull her off frequently to burp and let the milk settle on her stomach and will hand express for a bit after her first latch in addition to the angled feeding.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Kander320Kander320 member
    edited July 2014
    KBowen715 said:

Call me dumb, but....
    Aren't all breastfed babies' stools loose? How can a foremilk/hind milk imbalance be charted through stools?

It took my little guy until he was almost 4 weeks to reach birthweight, and his stools are always loose, so I'm curious as to how to monitor this.

Those with fore/hind milk imbalance often have green or mucousy stools. LOs also often poop right after feeding and it's explosive
  • Options
    Kander320 said:

KBowen715 said:

Call me dumb, but....

Those with fore/hind milk imbalance often have green or mucousy stools. LOs also often poop right after feeding and it's explosive
    His stools are a range from bright yellow to neon green, and always explosive. I'll talk to the pedi when we go in for his two month check up.
  • Options
    I have an over supply and OALD. Went to LC yesterday and she helped save DS and my breast feeding relationship! He used to choke and cough every time I tried to feed him but not anymore! She showed me a hold where he sits upright facing my boob so he can control the flow better! So far it has been fantastic and in less than 24 hours his poops are less green (they have been green for over 2 weeks now). I feed from one breast per feeding, this LC does not recommend block feeding which I also tried before I saw her...it didn't help at all. She also said supply should start to regulate soon!

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"