May 2014 Moms
Options

Eating

So this may sound crazy but I need some help! My baby was screaming every day for hours over this past weekend. I saw the pediatrician on monday and he said she could be hungry so feed her how ever much she wants to eat, well that worked! Now I feel like her eating schedule is so random. She doesnt eat a set amount at each feeding. This morning she ate 3oz, then 2 more like an hour later. This afternoon she ate 3oz at 2pm, 1oz at 3pm and has been acting hungry again. Is this normal for a 2 week old? How do I get onto more of a schedule?

Re: Eating

• Options
    Mine is 3 ½ weeks and I EBF so not sure how much she actually eats but I would imagine it varies like yours. Sometimes she eats 5 min, sometimes 20.
  • Options
    Babies eat when their hungry. Stop when they are full. Same as us adults (mostly). I EBF too so I know it varies. Depends on the day and how full I am.

I know some pedi's push an exact amount each feeding. Follow what baby needs unless there is a medical reason to have an exact amount each feeding at certain intervals.

I know of families who make small amounts to start, and if baby is hungry to make more to avoid wasting formula.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have been making small amounts at a time. It just makes it hard knowing how much formula to pack when we go out somewhere.
  • Options
    Oooooh. Maybe use Tupperware and one container for one ounce?
  • Options
    I wouldn't call anything any newborn does "normal." ;) I tried to find a balance/routine with mine at two weeks and was lost--everything kept changing and she would cluster feed at different times.
    No idea with ff...but I'm pumping and taking a 5oz bottle with us wherever we go since she still does the same thing: one oz at one feeding then three oz two hours later.
    Just be prepared. But don't count on getting a newborn into a routine until about eight weeks or so.
    (I'll add: if there are any STM who have gotten newborns on a schedule: PLEASE tell me how it's done :) )
    GL!
  • Options
    I'm FF. My LO does that during the day a lot. I have to be careful cause she has acid reflux really bad and will spit it up.
    As far as packing. The tupperwear idea is great! Just save the scoop from on of your empty cans. And with the water. I always over pack bottles. LO eats about ever 3-4 hours unless she's cluster feeding. So I would pack an extra bottle and maybe put 5 ounces in it. Then just pour it into a different bottle when she's cluster feeding.

(Does that make sense? I feel like that sounds confusing.)
    BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    I pump and supplement I give her 2 ounces of breast milk or formula to start then make more if she isn't satisfied. When going out I always have a few of those pre measured 4 oz packets as back up in my bag plus her normal amount measured out in breast milk.
  • Options
    @pistolpackinmomma‌ Dude. This exists, and I didn't know about it? Damn. Sure would've come in handy when DS was tiny!

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    fraseyfrasey member
    DS is 4 weeks, and is also all over the map w feedings. I just go with what he wants, Im not concerned about a schedule at all. 

When we go out, I take a bottle w 4 oz water in it. I have a small tupperware container that I fill w formula powder, and I saved a scoop from an old can. The I just mix it up as needed. I did this the entire time w DD and its crazy easy - no extra fancy special containers, etc. I also kept the tupperware in a small ziplock bag just in case the powder made a mess. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @jenb_99 I loved it since we had to add rice too. Once he was more predictable I used those fancy formula dispensers and put both cereal and formula in there. Saved so much time!

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    DD is 4 weeks. I EP and sometimes throw a formula bottle in as well in a pinch. I measure most bottles out to 2-2.5 oz cause she will usually take at least an ounce at even the smallest feeding. That way if she is still hungry I can grab a new bottle and if she doesn't finish it I'm only wasting what little is left in a bottle instead of putting the cap on and letting bacteria possibly grow from a bottle she already drank out of.
    For the record I was a ton of bottles daily with this system but it works for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"