High-Risk Pregnancy

Elevated AFP level?

I had my AFP level tested last week and just got the call that it's "elevated".  I tested at 2.71 and they want you at 2.50.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.  The geneticist said that it increases the chances of baby having a neural tube defect to 2%.  They are moving up my A/S by 2 weeks so I'll be going for that on Friday to get some more info.

I'm trying to focus on the fact that she said it's only a 2% chance but still, I'm nervous.  The geneticist said Type 1 moms should be on the lower end of AFP so I'm nervous that even though I'm only slightly elevated, I'm too elevated given what a T1D mom should be.

Re: Elevated AFP level?

• I was lurking and saw your post. 

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago. My AFP came back at 2.75 and I was freaking out a bit. Went for my A/S at 17.5 weeks and everything ended up being fine. The heart wasn't finished developing so we went back at 20.5 and still everything looked good. It turns out that I currently have placenta previa which the Doctor said might account for the elevated AFP or I might just have a higher AFP. Try not to freak out and I'm sure everything will be okay Good Luck :)
    TTC since 1/2011
    DH 32 SA Only 3% Normal Forms, but good count good motility
    Me 32 DOR FSH 11.3, AFC 7, HSG normal
    5/28/13- IUI #1 50 mg Clomid BFN
    6/25/13 IUI #2 50 mg Clomid BFN
    7/27/13 IUI#3 50 mg Clomid BFN
    8/8/13 waiting to meet with the RE to discus IVF
    11/9/2013 IVF#1 canceled, only 1 follicle  :(
    12/26/2013 Starting Lupron for IVF#2
    1/21/2014 Retrieval but we still only had 1 follicle so only 1 egg. Fingers Crossed!!!
    2/5/2014 BFP!! Betas 39, 54, 217, 1681 Slow rising but this is the little egg that could :)
    2/19/2014 1st U/S at 6w1d showed us at 5w4d but yolk sac, gest. sac and the beginnings of a fetal pole identified. 
    2/26/2014 2nd U/S at 7w1d showed us at 6w4d and we saw a heartbeat!!! 133. RE says it's time to move to OB
    So far everything is looking good :)
    5/29/2014 It's a Girl!!!! :)
    7/6/2014 Failed my glucose tolerance tests, diabetic diet it is
    9/30/2014 Scheduled C-Section for Placenta Previa and she's perfect 

imageimage image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey I'm from the NOV14 board too! No experience with this; but my thoughts and prayers are with you @missnacholover!

10/16/04 ~ lost our first baby boy at 20 weeks due to IC

3/05 ~ another loss at 12 weeks

2/14/06 ~ Our sweet valentine miracle was born after a nightmarish 8 months!

Surprise Baby Boy, born sleeping at 31 weeks on 9/21/14

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks!  Just an update - had the A/S and everything looks perfect!!!  They think I may just have a higher AFP but I'm trying not to worry about it.  I have a fetal echocardiogram scheduled in a few weeks so hopefully everything is developing correctly with the baby's heart.

Thanks for the kind words!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"