May 2014 Moms
Options

mini pill, other birth control and milk supply

Started the mini pill today, pumping right now and my supply seems way down. Could this already be affecting it? Also what's everyone else doing for pp birth control?

Re: mini pill, other birth control and milk supply

• Options
    I thought the point of the mini pull is that it does not affect milk supply bc there is no estrogen? I tried the mini last time and I didn't like it bc I bled constantly on it, so I switched to my regular pill and that did not affect my supply. I'm sure it's different for everyone. Maybe you just need some time to adjust/build your supply back up? I would talk to your OB about options.
  • Options
    Although The minipill should not affect your supply, my midwives said that if there was a supply issue already then it can be exacerbated.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Even though the mini pill typically doesn't affect supply, it still contains hormones and I read that women often complain that it does decrease their milk supply. For me personally, I have chosen to stay off of all hormonal birth control while breastfeeding (I breastfed ds1 for a year). I am continuing to do that this time with ds1, and hubby and I will have to use condomns...not the greatest birth control option, but I don't want my milk supply affected.
  • Options
    I decided to stop taking it, I had a limited supply as it was and two days in I was lucky to pump sn ounce and when I nursed she screamed so condoms it is.
  • Options
    Oh yes! I started the mini pill 6 week post partum with my first child and it TANKED my supply and I'm an over producer. I stopped taking it about a week into it and it took everything in me to get my supply back. Not taking anything this go around. Condoms and natural family planning are our method this time.
  • Options
    Still deciding between progesterone - only pill and just rolling the dice with BFing as only birth control. We want a second and I'm old enough it needs to be soonish. But midwives say wait at least 8 months better a year which makes sense. But I hate all barrier methods (some days remembering that is a big part of helping me stay married) and neither constant spotting nor supply issues sound good. Still may try progesterone pill though since id be super embarrassed to go back to the midwives office at like 3 months pl because already ku 'd . On the other hand, it took time and 3 pregnancies to get this LO so seems unlikely id get preggers while BFing
    ... dunno.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
  • Options
    Still deciding between progesterone - only pill and just rolling the dice with BFing as only birth control. We want a second and I'm old enough it needs to be soonish. But midwives say wait at least 8 months better a year which makes sense. But I hate all barrier methods (some days remembering that is a big part of helping me stay married) and neither constant spotting nor supply issues sound good. Still may try progesterone pill though since id be super embarrassed to go back to the midwives office at like 3 months pl because already ku 'd . On the other hand, it took time and 3 pregnancies to get this LO so seems unlikely id get preggers while BFing ... dunno.
    The first month we actually tried while EBFing and bedsharing and all that good stuff we got KU'd. My supply also immediately tanked and we weaned far earlier than I planned, didn't make it to a year let alone 2+. While I honestly wouldn't care if we had 3u3 I'm getting the IUD b/c my body just can't take another pregnancy right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Still deciding between progesterone - only pill and just rolling the dice with BFing as only birth control. We want a second and I'm old enough it needs to be soonish. But midwives say wait at least 8 months better a year which makes sense. But I hate all barrier methods (some days remembering that is a big part of helping me stay married) and neither constant spotting nor supply issues sound good. Still may try progesterone pill though since id be super embarrassed to go back to the midwives office at like 3 months pl because already ku 'd . On the other hand, it took time and 3 pregnancies to get this LO so seems unlikely id get preggers while BFing
    ... dunno.

I used BFing combined with pull out method (although DH forgot the pull out part about half the time) after having DD1. I did it because I didn't want any hormonal bcp while BFing and I knew we would gave to try TTC for #2 at 9m PP. it worked for us, didn't get KU when I didn't want to. AF returned at 9m PP after DD1 started STTN , we started TTC and got KU on the first try. But obviously don't use BFing as BC unless you're ok getting KU again.
  • Options
    I took the mini pill starting at 6 weeks until Beb was 11 months old. I BF'd for a year without issue so I will do the same this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"