Working Moms

Intro: FTM going back to work (long)--I'm back(UPDATE IN COMMENTS)

tokash516tokash516 member
edited June 2014 in Working Moms
Hello all!!!! My DD was born 3/21/14 and is 10 weeks old!! We live in Dfw Texas! My DH and I have been married almost two years, but together for 10. He works FT and usually works noon-10pm, and his days off are Thursday and Sunday. I work FT as well, M-F usually 9-5, but my job does require a lot of late nights in between. Sometime until 9-10 at night. I've enjoyed being with her so much, but boy am I ready to get back to the office! I love my job! I definitely have that guilt of putting her in daycare all day.....she's kind of clingy and she can be super fussy. I hope she does ok!!! I ebf, so I will be pumping. I'm very fortunate to work for a small, very supportive company. My new office has been set up with blinds on the windows and a new mini fridge to store my milk!! Very very blessed. My main fears are being able to pump enough (and keeping up my supply), LO taking bottles all day, not getting enough family time and getting on a schedule. I go back Monday!!! I can't believe it's so soon. How old were your LOs when you returned to work? Any ebf mommas have advice? How long before you got into a groove?? How have you balanced family and work??? Thank you!!!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Intro: FTM going back to work (long)--I'm back(UPDATE IN COMMENTS)

• Welcome and good luck!
    I went back to work around 6 weeks with each of my kids although with the older ones i worked from home 5 days a week and with the baby 2 days a week for the first several months. Like you I'm one of those moms who both loves maternity leave and returning to work :)

I also EBF all of them. I hope you have a good pump for work. Some tricks include making sure to drink both in general and while you pump. Have snacks handy too. Get a handsfree bra and an extra set of pump parts (one day you WILL forget yours at home). The Lansinoh heat gel packs are great too. Nurse a lot when home and during the night if she wakes up. There are a lot of us pump-at-work moms here so post all your questions!

It will be hard at times but you'll get into the grove of things. Don't stress about non-essential things right now (cooking/cleaning). Try to outsource that as much as possible and just enjoy time with you LO when you are home. And make sure DH is doing his fair share. And communicate with your daycare providers - a lot! Any questions or issues, don't feel shy to chat with them. Hopefully she will be loving her new setting before long.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LO was 12 weeks when I went back to work and we EBF until 14 months.

It sounds like you have a great workplace for BFing, but I would definitely get a hands-free pumping bra so you can pump at your desk (or in the car).  Also, you don't need to wash your pump parts during the day, just keep them in the fridge.  Everyone has something different that works/ed for them, but lactation cookies saved my supply every time!  Make sure your daycare knows how to feed an EBF baby so they aren't overfeeding her.  Kellymom has some great articles.  Also, if I were you, I would pump a few times on the weekend to keep building your stash.  A freezer stash always calmed my anxiety when my supply dropped.

I have no advice on getting back to a schedule.  Sometimes, I feel like even know we are just doing whatever needs to be done to survive.  :/  

Good luck on returning to work!!
                                                                                              BFP #1 3/2/12, T born 11/7/12
                                                                                                 BFP #2  7/2/14, CP 7/6/14
                                 BFP #3 8/28/14, MMC 10/2/14 @ 9wks - misoprostol 10/6/14, D&C 11/3/14 for retained tissue
                                       BFP #4 12/25/14, EDD 9/7/15 - please stick baby, you are so loved and wanted!!!!!                                                                                           

image  image                                                                      
  • Loading the player...
  • Sooooo I'm back at work and I love it!! Pumping is going well! Better than u thought and I'm already finding my groove. I really have an awesome supportive staff. They yell at me to go pump when they see it's been a while since I last did. Lol. Regarding LO and daycare: she loves it from what I can tell. The teachers adore her so she gets lots of love. The first day was good until she got home. She was sooooooo fussy. She fought sleep alllll night. Ugh second day she woke up cranky and barely smiled at me. I cried a lot yesterday. When I picked her up she was super fussy again and looked exhausted. She passed out after I nursed her when we got home and slept all night, with a couple feedings. This morning she was soooo happy! And I picked her up and she was happy but sleepy. Think in starting to see her needs/routine. She's taking 4 oz bottles of bm, 4 a day while there. I appreciate all of your support and advice!!!!!!!! I feel like I can do this!!!! Love being a working mom!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yay! That's great!!! There will be ups and downs - it's inevitable. But we're here for you for just those downs :))
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hey! I'm in DFW, too! I'm returning to work next Wednesday. Frankly, I can't wait. But I'm really concerned about how we are going to get the routine down with two under two! Glad to hear from someone who is excited to be back at work and determined to find their groove!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"