May 2014 Moms

BFers - one or two boobs per feeding?

DD (2 weeks old yesterday) almost exclusively only takes one boob per feeding (and only for 8-12 minutes usually).  DD1 did this too but not until a little later (I want to say closer to 2 months of age).  I'm not concerned or anything, because she's gaining weight and is going 3ish hours between feedings, I'm just curious if others are experiencing the same thing already.
AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

Re: BFers - one or two boobs per feeding?

• That's how we had been doing (2 weeks yesterday) but he seems to be having another growth spurt and has been wanting both. The kid is killing me with how much he's eating.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I do one for about 10-12 minutes and then I offer the second if she still seems fussy/hungry

Welcomed our rainbow baby 5/20/2014! It's a girl!

• Loading the player...
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    He's going 3 hours and maybe 4 at night and taking one breast at each feeding! DS did not do this so I was concerned but so far it's going good. I pump maybe once per day to relieve excess.

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• Mine usually does about 10 min on one side and then I will offer the other.  Sometimes he will take it and sometimes he won't.
  • DS will take both if I let him. Then he usually spits up from being so full. So I tried sticking to one boob unless he's really really fussy and wants both. Which is usually only during the day. At night he will only empty one and fall back asleep.

Like yoday where he ate for like 8 hours back and forth. Ahh growth spurts
  • My DD (16 days) only takes one side. She nurses for like 45 mins.....pretty much until she falls asleep.
    I always check to my boob when she is done, and sure enough, milk is still coming out.
    Now if my nipples would just heal

Lilypie Maternity tickers

My Hooligans.....Samuel Brice-Fritzgerald (6/30/10) and Payton Elizabeth (7/23/08)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

FEB SIGGY CHALLENGE
    favorite wedding picture
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Dang mine always wants each boob for at least 15 min. he got his frenulum clipped this morning to fix a tongue tie that was killing me so i'm hoping it will also make him more efficient. But yeah, both boobs.

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• jenb_99jenb_99 member
    DD usually only wants one breast. Except yesterday. Yesterday (one week old) she wanted both at pretty much every feeding. Today she's back to one.

I'm struggling emotionally with breastfeeding and am not sure how long I'm going to keep it up, so I'm thinking about pumping the other side for a week or two to build up a stash. Still undecided on that, though.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Depends. If DS2 only eats from one side, it is after a long nursing session. If he takes both sides, it is normally shorter (8-10 minutes) per side. He normally takes both in the morning when I'm fuller and one at night after his been munching all day.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• mrtmrt member
    Almost always both. And if he's too sleepy to take the second he's usually hungry again in less than 2 hours.
  • She was going with one. But ever since a couple days ago I have been trying to give her both because she is waking up every 2 hours on the dot all day and night long. My goal is to try to fill her up so she will sleep longer. Jokes on me though, she still gets up every 2 hours. It's been tiring

It's a BOY

• PattyTCPattyTC member
    DD usually only takes 1 for 10-20 minutes. The doctor said that's a sign that I have a powerful let-down bc she should take both for 15 minutes each. I'm not complaining though. I have a hard time sitting still for her ocassional long feedings.
  • edited May 2014
    Mine almost always takes both for 10-15 min. each.

Mommy to three beautiful boys! 
    Benjamin Michael 5/17/10
    Lucas Gabriel 3/26/12
    Graham Jonathan 5/1/14

• I just follow her lead. Some feedings it is one side, others it is two. I keep her on a side until either it is empty or she is full.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• I try to offer only one boob, but my right side isn't producing as much so I need to offer it more often. My right nip hurts so I rely too much on my left side.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • hsalhsal member
    My little man just started doing both in one feeding. I had just been doing one but he's growing like crazy and needs/wants both for the past couple days.
  • Dang 2 boobs almost every time here for about 15 min both sides. Would be nice to alternate nipples. LC has me paying attention to her cues more than 'forcing' both sides and counting minutes but baby girl is just hungry and wants dessert every time. Feedings take a full hour between eating, burping, diaper. We are 13 days and she was back up to birth weight around 10 days
  • lrmrtnlrmrtn member
    DS takes both for at least 20 min each and usually falls asleep. We also add formula because he still seems hungry. He's still not back to birth weight after 2 weeks so the pedi said to keep feeding him if he'll take it. I feel like we're force feeding him sometimes but I'll follow his advice til the next weight check.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ns1ns1 member
    With DD she only took one side almost always from early on. This one could never take two at this point since I'm still regulating my supply.

The book Breastfeeding Made Simple says this is largely related to whether or not you have large milk storage (not related to breast size). If one boob holds a lot, that's all they need; otherwise, two it is.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Recently I've been just doing one per feeding, to try and make sure he's getting the hind milk.

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• haylo33haylo33 member
    We usually just do one. I usually change him after he eats during the night cause he usually poops while eating. Changing him sometimes wakes him up and if it does, sometimes he will eat from the other side for a few minutes until he is back to sleep
  • Sam0905Sam0905 member
    I'm so jealous of all the efficient eaters out there! I nurse 15 mins each side and then have to give a bottle of pumped BM. I know he's not getting much from the boob because I just nursed him and am currently pumping my 5th oz...
  • I have an oversupply issue that's leading to DD vomiting everywhere after feedings, so I am limiting her to one boob per feeding to see if that helps. I think my letdowns are pretty forceful, so she is probably getting plenty with just the one side. With DS, though, he took both sides and took FOREVER to fill up. DD seems to get her fill (or more) in 10-15 minutes.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• danabsddanabsd member
    Currently one. As far as I know it's normal to take one until about 2 weeks when they start to want to try both sides.

• My son takes one side for most of his and maybe takes both once a day. He tends to nurse 10-20 minutes and done. I've switched to feeding on demand against my pediatrician's advice to start a schedule. No one is happy when baby is hungry and the natural thing to do is feed a hungry baby so pedi can suck it.

I think I would be looking for a new pedi if yours is telling you to do a feeding schedule already!

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• jenb_99jenb_99 member
    edited May 2014
    I jinxed myself by posting on this thread. :-/ DD is now back to whining unless I let her empty both sides, and she's a snoozer and a grazer. The whole process takes about an hour and is exhausting and absolute hell on my nipples.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• DS1&2 both wanted both breasts normally. Usually it is 10-15 minutes per side.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • My son takes one side for most of his and maybe takes both once a day. He tends to nurse 10-20 minutes and done. I've switched to feeding on demand against my pediatrician's advice to start a schedule. No one is happy when baby is hungry and the natural thing to do is feed a hungry baby so pedi can suck it.

I'm so surprised to hear that your pedi feels this way! Everything I've heard from our hospital, the LCs, breastfeeding class and our pedi says to feed newborns on demand.

In my case, I will offer the 2nd if she still seems hungry after done with first; however, most times she falls asleep on first.

• deanna1313deanna1313 member
    edited June 2014
    In my case he takes both breasts at every feeding for 30 minutes each! He still isn't satisfied so we also supplement with formula, too. This is something I was trying to avoid. He still doesn't seem like he us getting enough. It's really weird, but we have an appt on Tuesday. The dr said he is a big boy and my milk may not be enough for him yet do she suggested supplanting to get his weight up a bit. He is now meeting his wet and poop diaper quota, too.
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    We do one breast actually every two feedings usually due to my over supply and over active let down that is much better now as is her burps and spit ups. We always did one though as she gets what she needs then pulls off and pushes away. As she is about 3# over her birth weight at 1 month I assume she is getting what she needs!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Lild09Lild09 member
    Always one side bc when I've tried to give both thinking he was still hungry (hand to mouth can mean gas!) he's vomited! I haven't done both sides since a few days after my milk came in. He gained his birth weight back by 1 week and is gaining fine. My midwife and pedi say to stick to one boob too bc then they get the good hind milk keeping him full and the foremilk is carbs so it makes them gassy! Seems to be the case for us bc outside of needing to burp post nursing he's rarely ever gassy. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"