May 2014 Moms

BF, very gassy baby, and *Food

JAM85JAM85 member
edited May 2014 in May 2014 Moms
So I am EBF and my LO is extremely gassy- burping and farting a ton which would fine except it us very uncomfortable for her and keeps her from being able to get comfortable at night which means no sleep at all for us. I tried homeopathic Tummy Calm which didn't seem to do much and I am getting OTC baby had reducer today but I am wondering if some food I am eating could be to blame. I have had decaf coffee every am and brownies or some bit of chocolate for the past probably 5 days. I am off dairy and soy and gluten already and was before birth so not excited about dropping more but I hate to see her so uncomfortable and of like some more sleep!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: BF, very gassy baby, and *Food

• We're having the same thing but with tooting. DS grunts a lot when he needs to toot. He doesn't seem too bothered but I'm wondering if it's milk. I has to stop caffeine too because he would get wired and fussy.

Hope you find a solution soon! Poor little ones.
  • dwnsldedwnslde member
    My daughter is fussy like that but she's not tooting at all so I can't figure it out. Her first appointment is tomorrow morning so hopefully they can help.
  • Loading the player...
  • Went through the same thing.  I think we jump too quickly into thinking it is something we are eating.  In reality, in many cases, you can eat anything while breastfeeding.  Babies do just become more gassy around the 2 week mark.  I give Mylicon with each feeding and that has definitely helped.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    I have been using the natural gas relief but we are getting mylicon today to see if that helps her too. I also just started giving her baby probiotics mixed with some of my breast milk (I take my own and she was a c section so it was recommended I start earlier) and I will check out that link- I love Kelly mom! I also tend to think that the likelihood of my food affecting her this much is low although clearly cutting out the brownies and dark chocolate isn't exactly hurting me :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Baby started getting really gassy around 2 weeks. I have to burp him often and vigorously during feedings and have even had to use gas drops at night. When I don't burp him enough, he spits up a little but of milk. Pediatrician said to continue the frequent burping, but to keep him upright for 30 minutes to allow better digestion before laying him down. So far, that seems to be working well.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    @Marcella05‌ that is what we are trending to and I think the biggest issue is the MOTN feedings and having to keep her upright so long when you're half asleep but we need to be more strict about this and no try to put her down before because like you said it causes some minor spit up and then more fussing
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • MaciC said:

We are in the same boat. I'm cutting dairy starting today. LO grunts, whimpers and tosses all night in her sleep. It's really loud, but has been gaining well and stools are mustard and seedy. Does anyone else's LO grunt all night long? Our ped didn't seem concerned, but she acts like she is so much pain.

This is us exactly. Only I wouldn't say DS is in pain. Maybe more discomfort? I googled if and it's their digestive system developing. If he wasn't so loud at night!
  • MaciC said:

We are in the same boat. I'm cutting dairy starting today. LO grunts, whimpers and tosses all night in her sleep. It's really loud, but has been gaining well and stools are mustard and seedy. Does anyone else's LO grunt all night long? Our ped didn't seem concerned, but she acts like she is so much pain.

This is us exactly. Only I wouldn't say DS is in pain. Maybe more discomfort? I googled if and it's their digestive system developing. If he wasn't so loud at night!
    My DS is the same way and I am already dairy free, since pregnancy. It is just their digestive system getting used to the world. We do gas drops and I am getting gripe water today. My ds1 had the same issues around weeks 2-5 and then got better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited May 2014
    These are exactly the noises we have too almost a grunting or stutter breathing like clearing your throat so she will appear asleep but the noises get louder until we pick her up and 9/10 she has a burp. The RnP has helped as it is elevated and we have the gripe water already but from everything I am reading it just looks like a phase that only time will help and hopefully some things will help make it a bit better in the mean time. I just hate to see her look like she is in discomfort
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    I am getting the OTC Mylicon today so I can't speak to that but I try to do the other drops before every feeding if I can (sometimes she gets hysterical and just needs the boob) or in between after burping
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone tried fennel tea for gas? My mw recommended it and I could only find milk maid tea with fennel but that's really for milk production. Thoughts?
  • minirayminiray member
    I don't have any answers for you but we are in the same boat. DS was up all night straining and grunting. He seems ok during the day but bad at night. I've been dairy and soy free since 3 weeks before he was born (as a precaution since DS1 is MSPI) and I'm gluten free myself. I only drink decaf. I tried gas drops, colic massage, bicycling his legs, probiotics, etc. and nothing seems to help. I am taking an iron supplement so I stopped that today incase that is the issue.

Make sure your probiotic is dairy free. I use Biogaia as it's supposed to be MSPI safe.

I keep thinking it's something I'm eating as well so I know how you feel. I'm sorry I hope it gets better.

BabyFetus Ticker

• My baby gets gassy because she has a poor latch. Right now we haven't been able to correct it, hopefully it will resolve as her mouth gets bigger.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • My baby gets gassy because she has a poor latch. Right now we haven't been able to correct it, hopefully it will resolve as her mouth gets bigger.
    Ah I never thought of that. We've had a bad latch too, but its gotten better as he's grown. I guess this gassiness shall pass, just wish there was a solution to make him more comfortable until it does.
  • Pedi says these simple gas issues work themselves out by month 4 when they become more efficient at eating and don't need help burping.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member
    We've been having the same issue. We tried gas drops and Mommy's Bliss gripe water. It got really bad about a week ago (at 3 weeks) so I bought some Colic Calm gripe water (it's black) and it's been helping!

I have to make sure I burp him very well during the night.

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• andoll8andoll8 member
    I completely agree with suggestions from PPs, and I would add this: DS falls asleep nursing during MOTN sessions, and I put him down immediately. I've rigged his bassinet at an angle by propping it up with a vibrating infant pillow on one end. The combo of the elevation and the vibration is helping him work out his gas while he sleeps, and I get to go back to bed. This has been working beautifully for the last 3-4 nights. I still burp often and vigorously during the day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"