Colorado Babies

Delivering at Exempla Good Sam's

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with delivering at Exempla Good Sam's in Lafayette? I am looking to do a natural birth and try to avoid a c-section as much as possible. In your experience are they pushy when it comes to walking around, pushing meds or c-sections? Thank you for your input!

Re: Delivering at Exempla Good Sam's

• Avista isn't far from Good Sam and they are the best in the region with a birthing center - allowing midwives and more natural deliveries.  I saw lots of women walking the halls when I was there.  I had heard such great things about Avista that I switched OB's from GS to Avista Women's Care mid pregnancy.  

Sorry, don't know much about Good Sam.  I did hear that delivery and recovery are in two different rooms.  I really liked being in the same room the whole time at Avista.  

imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy%20ticker
  • I know nothing of Good Sams but I delivered at Exempla Lutheran and it was an amazing experience. Exempla St Joseph's also has very good reputation so that would lead me to believe that Good Sams is pretty good too but I don't know. If you don't get many responses you might want to google some reviews. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Loading the player...
  • We delivered there a little over a year ago at this point, and I remember one of the first things they asked me was if I had a birth plan. Our "plan" was more of a "if the pain gets too crazy, I want meds, but I'd like to hold off as long as possible" and they were completely respectful of that. In fact, when I was ready to ask for meds, they suggested alternatives to me such as getting into the tub, etc.

That being said, they are also very professional and knowledgeable, and they will push for a C-section if they feel anyone is in danger. I think, it will also depend on the nurses that you may get, as well as your doctor and their relationship with your doctor. I think your ability to "walk the halls" as it were, may depend on how busy they are that day as well. They do have a labor "triage" area that women may be sent to first if they are really busy because the labor rooms (which are in fact separate from the recovery rooms) can fill up (as is the case with any hospital) and if you are not fare enough along in your labor process, they may send you home. If you take any of their labor/delivery classes, one of the things they stress is trying to do as much of your early labor from home if you can, which makes things faster when you do get to the hospital.

I found them to be great, and as we plan for our next peanut, we will be going back there even though it is no longer one of the closest hospitals to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"