May 2014 Moms
Options

Baby Logan's birth story. A little late...

Baby Logan was born on Thursday, May 15th at 5:04am and is 7lbs, 5oz and 20.5 inches of perfection!  Here is his birth story (warning, a little long):

I woke up that Wednesday morning around 4:30am with contractions.  I started timing them and they were regularly 9-10 minutes apart for an hour or so and then started becoming more irregular.  I had my 39 week appointment that morning so I decided to wait it out until then.  The contractions got more irregular and weaker and by the time I had my appointment at 10:30, they weren't much more than period-like cramps.  I told my OB what was happening so he did a cervical check and said I wasn't dialated at all, my cervix was still posterior and needed to move anterior but it was soft and thin so he thought I wouldn't make it until my 40 week appointment but said I wasn't going to the hospital today.

My contractions were barely there so I decided to run a few errands but around 1:30 they started up again and this time they were stronger and much more regular at around 7-8 minutes apart.  I didn't believe it was labor because of what the doctor said, but they kept getting stronger and closer together.  By 7pm, they were 4 minutes apart, lasting about a minute and I was in a good deal of pain so I decided to call the on-call doctor.  He recommended I come to L&D to see what was going on even though I had been checked earlier in the day.  I got to the hospital around 8pm.  He checked me and I had dialated to a 3, was 70% effaced and the baby's head was at -2.  He told me to walk the floor for two hours. He'd then check me and if I progressed, he'd admit me. If I didn't, he'd send me home.  I didn't even make it one lap around the floor and my water broke in a big gush so I was admitted.  I was barely in a room when the intensity of the contractions picked up.  I could barely stand the pain and was shaking uncontrollably.  DH kept asking when I could get the epidural but I hadn't even been admitted yet so they had to get the IV in, especially because I was GBS+ and draw blood.  Luckily the nurses moved quickly and within a half hour, I had the epidural. I was able to relax enough to doze off a bit but the nurse had to keep checking me because Logan's heart rate kept dropping at each contraction so I had to keep changing position.  At around 3am, I started feeling a lot of pressure and the catheter was really bothering me so the doctor checked me and I was dialated to 9cm, 100% effaced.  I was surprised I had progressed so quickly. The doctor said he'd be back around 5am to check me and hopefully by then I'd be ready to push, but if I felt ready before then, to let him know. By this point I was also running a fever that kept going up.  Around 4am, the nurse came to check me again.  Logan's heart rate was still dropping with each contraction, my fever was still increasing and the pressure was getting worse.  My OB came around 4:30 and said I was a 10 and asked if I felt ready to push.  Normally he would've let me labor down for awhile but because of my fever and Logan's heart rate, he wanted to get the baby out.  20 minutes of pushing later, Baby Logan arrived.  It turns out the umbilical cord was wrapped loosely around his neck, which is what was causing his heart rate to drop at each contraction.  But he was perfectly healthy!  NICU evaluated him because I had a fever but they thought he was fine and after suctioning him, he was in my arms.  We did skin to skin immediately and he breastfed right away.  I suffered 2 1st degree tears and a hematoma so I'm still a bit sore, but it was all worth it! I thought the contractions were worse than the delivery!

Everyone is happy, healthy and exhausted!

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Baby Logan's birth story. A little late...

• Options
    QOTRQOTR member
    Congratulations!
    Me-41, Hubby-40.
    1st BFP-8/17/12!  Missed Miscarriage discovered @ 8 week US.  D&C.
    2nd BFP-2/13/13!  Blighted Ovum discovered @ 8 week US. Natural miscarriage.
    3rd BFP-5/22/13!  By early June, progesterone plummeting.  Another loss.
    August 2013 - started Donor Egg process, but surprise BFP with my own eggs.
    Dear Son born 5/28/14
  • Options
    ns1ns1 member
    Congratulations!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"