May 2014 Moms
Options

Flying with newborn?

EmilyGolden1EmilyGolden1 member
edited May 2014 in May 2014 Moms
My father in law passed away today...my hubby, baby and I live in Chicago and need to fly to the northeast for the funeral. The baby would be about 10 days old- is it crazy to fly? Any experience flying with a newborn?

Re: Flying with newborn?

• Options
    So sorry for your loss. :(  No experience flying with newborns, but it seems unavoidable.  At least it shouldn't be too long of a flight.  Good luck.

imageimage
    Beautiful Baby Girl born May 28, 2014

• Options
    No advice, just wanted to say sorry for your loss.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss. I've not flown with a nb but from what I have heard you should time a feed to happen for take off and landing to help with getting them to pop their ears as you climb and descend. It's super easy to go through TSA if you wear the baby. If you formula feed you can have bottles premixed (we had a little cooler that strapped on our diaper bag) or you can have bottles of BM if you don't feel comfortable nursing in public like that. You will need the baby's birth certificate though. Or at least we did.

Anniversary 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options
    Because you won't have a birth certificate yet, make sure you have something from your pediatricians office with LOs birthdate on it. Some airlines so not let babies under a week old fly, so you may need proof of age. You might want to call and clarify what is acceptable proof (southwest told me a shot record or any medical record from our pedi). Most airlines let you check baby gear for free and your diaper bag does not count as a carry on.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• Options

Because you won't have a birth certificate yet, make sure you have something from your pediatricians office with LOs birthdate on it. Some airlines so not let babies under a week old fly, so you may need proof of age. You might want to call and clarify what is acceptable proof (southwest told me a shot record or any medical record from our pedi). Most airlines let you check baby gear for free and your diaper bag does not count as a carry on.

Southwest counts the diaper bag as one of your carry ons. They allow one carry on and one personal item so my suitcase was my carry on and the bag was my personal item.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• Options

I have flown on several airlines with DS. Most will let you check ONE peice of baby gear at no charge (stroller, pnp, etc) and most DO count a diaper bag as one of your bags. OP, call your airline.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• Options
    I'm so sorry. My recommendation is to check everything you can - baggage fees are worth having your hands free IMO. Feed baby at take off and landing to help his ears. My first son slept through his first flight, it was heaven. But if your baby doesn't, don't get stressed. Our worst flights have been when I let myself worry too much about other people and I swear my baby sensed my anxiety and got more worked up. Staying calm is key! Good luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options
    awknycawknyc member
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm actually flying from NY to Chicago for my sister's wedding when my daughter is about 2.5 wks old. This has been a concern of mine for a while so I talked it over with both my OB and pediatrician. They said it wasn't ideal, but situations arise where newborns have to fly and it's usually fine. We are flying on an 6am flight to limit the number of people on the plane and bringing a blanket to cover her on the flight. Just be sure to limit exposure to other people at any large gatherings, we are getting a mosquito net for our stroller so peopke are not sticking their hands in to touch her either. I know the timing is terrible, but best of luck.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Miles2GoMiles2Go member
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    My dad passed away when DD1
    was 6 weeks old. We decided not to take her on the plane, so I went to the funeral alone while DH stayed home with DD. honestly, I wouldn't bring such a young baby on a plane, too many germs. We flew several times with DD since she was 4m and she got very sick every single time.
  • Options
    I've flown on several airlines with kids and never had to pay to check my baby gear (PNP at the counter and car seat and stroller at the gate). I've also never had to count my diaper bag as a carry on, but I condense my purse into it so I guess it could be considered my "personal item". It's definitely worth a call to the airline to plan your packing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Nora - 10.26.12

Henry - 5.9.14

• Options
    I would absolutely wear the baby and keep them covered as best I could. Not an ideal situation for sure, so sorry this is happening. I'm sure your baby will be fine, just keep in mind how germy planes can be. I think you'll be fine if you bring something to keep you covered though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"