December 2014 Moms

HELP! horrible acne!

Hey. I am 21 years old with my first pregnancy. I have had mild to moderate acne since I was about 11, and have been using prescription products containing benzoyl peroxide to control it. Obviously since I've became pregnant I have had to stop using these products, and my acne has gotten SO bad. My normal acne plus hormones has ruined my face. I have no idea what to do I'm so lost, and feel like absolute crap about myself! I've tried tea tree oil and natural face washes but nothing is helping. Does anyone have any tips at all that might help ?!?!

Re: HELP! horrible acne!

• I've heard a few women mention Cetaphil. Try that and see if it works. The rule of thumb is to avoid salicylic acid anything else should be fine. But above all you should discuss this with your doctor. He or she will be able to point you in the direction that is best for you.
    May Siggy Challenge = Linda Belcher!! Hands down, my favorite TV mom!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know this sounds crazy but have you tried monistate on your face? Google it. Also try acv or coconut oil. Good luck.
  • Loading the player...
  • Annya26Annya26 member
    I am having the same issue and it SUCKS. Take a cotton ball, soak it with witch hazel and apply it to any nasty ones for a few minutes (can add some tea tree too) and it will take some of the swelling a redness out. 

Also look up oil washing - sounds counter intuitive but I SWEAR by it. My mix is castor oil, avocado oil and jojoba. 

*I would avoid coconut oil on the face as I've heard it can cause major acne problems. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Before becoming pg I had success controlling acne with oil cleansing (using about 1/2 castor oil and 1/2 almond oil). I have also used plain cetaphil wash and moisturizer since becoming pg at which point the oil cleansing wasn't cutting it. That worked well, but still Nothing really cuts it and I still get zits, but not too bad. I think maybe for some of us that's just how it is, at least for the first trimester when symptoms are at their strongest.
  • What about black African soap? I heard its good for acne but I don't know if it has anything in it that would harm the baby maybe you could ask your doctor. I also heard active charcoal can help too as a face mask but you might wanna check with your doctor. Sometimes our acne is hormonal and sometimes it's related to an over production of bacteria or fungal overgrowth. Hope something works for you but like some other ladies say unusually by the second trimester it gets better. I've tried witch hazel and it doesn't work for me. I've tried yea tree oil and oregano oil and it didn't work for me either so I've been using fungal cream with doctor permission and its been working. I was also told to stop eating sugary foods. So it's been getting a little better.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"