C-sections
Options

Post belly....shelf?

So my belly seems to hang over the incision part.. I've heard this being called the "shelf". I see the dr. next week for my 6 week apt... so will be cleared to workout soon. Anyone have success getting rid of this overhang?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Post belly....shelf?

• Options
    hsalhsal member
    Following since I feel the same way!
  • Options
    AmberT2010AmberT2010 member
    edited May 2014
    I've been doing some small abdominal exercises to help those muscles get stronger.
    This is a blog post I found with the exercises. I really don't know if they help get rid of it but I've been doing these for about a week (I'm 4 weeks pp) and I do feel better in the abdominal area. Just be careful with the plank exercise.
    https://kbellqueen.blogspot.com/2008/01/what-doctors-dont-tell-you-after-c.html?m=1

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    arheinsarheins member
    I am interested as well. 6 months pp and i still have mine :(
  • Options
    Weight loss definitely helped but I don't think it will look as smooth as did pre surgery. Mine looked pretty normal and undetectable even in a swimsuit by 15 months PP. Then I got pregnant again so who knows what it will look like after 2 CS's...
    ***S/PAIFW***TTC since forever ago....

DH-34-MFI-motility+morphology.... Me-32-Hypothyrpid+LPD

7/8/11: Clomid100mg+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN

8/2/11: Clomid50mg+Ovidrel+IUI#2=BFFN

8/25/11: Follistim50iu+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFP!!!!@14dpo

Beta#1 9/8 - 251 Beta#2 9/15 - 1622 Beta#3 9/22 - 12674

1st U/S; heard one beautiful HB of 129 - 9/29/11

OB visit; HB of 166 - 10/13/11

2nd US; HB of 163 - 10/18/11

A/S - 12/9/11 - It's a perfect healthy BOY!!!!

Our miracle baby boy - born 5/24/12

• Options
    Justabean3Justabean3 member
    edited May 2014
    I didn't have a shelf but I had what is so politely called a fupa that went away about 8 weeks pp after the stitches dissolved.
  • Options
    I did some massage on the scar when it was healed enough so that the tissues wouldn't bunch up. Here's a link: https://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=14234
  • Options
    schnookeeschnookee member
    edited June 2014
    I've had it since before I was pregnant with my first due to being extremely overweight for a couple years and then losing 100lbs. Unfortunately no matter how much exercise I've done it has not gone away. Im very agressive with working out too. It's gotten smaller and flatter but theres still a hang.
    ETA: I told my husband if it is worse after this pregnancy and I can't remedy it enough with exercise and I end up with what I so affectionately call a "front butt", I will be getting a tummy tuck. I am totally against plastic surgery but I just can't live with that
  • Options
    Have you tried c-panties? I started using them 2w PP and have no shelf.
  • Options
    I think at some point c or not if your skin gets that stretched there is no return no matter what size you are

However I recommend binding and message
  • Options
    11months PP here - I had the "shelf" immediately PP, but it's pretty much gone now, didn't do any particular ab-work for a few months PP..
    Love: 08/04/2006
    Marriage: 10/02/2010
      Computer Hope
    Baby Carriage: 
    BFP#1 : 03.2012........MMC + D&C : 05.2012
    BFP#2 : 11.12.2012..........Born 07.17.2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    The Buggy List blog
  • Options
    I certainly have had some fat on my belly before/during/after but it doesn't look like a shelf to me. Looks very similar to other moms tummies of various delivery types.

I mean maybe it was a little more shelflike in early recovery but not after sometime. In fact prior to this pregnancy I had gained a bit extra and shape wise it was just a standard rounded waistline.

Does anyone know more about the underlying reason why this may be more common after c sections?

In any event I think I will try c panties and postpartum support garments when the time comes. I want to use the silicone to reduce scarring and I think it might be helpful in just providing support and possibly regaining something a lil more similar to my pre-baby-making shape.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How comforting to hear from others that they too have the shelf... even after 2 years :/

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    This thread gives me hope it might still get better! I am 10wks PP and the hospital binding got way too big, too fast - I'm only 4' 11" and small-framed - and it stopped fitting. I lost all the weight fast but I still had the awful shelf-looking flab. I tried C-Panty, which doesn't work well if you are short and have a short torso, it just rolled and was uncomfortable. So, I just finally got a new Belly Bandit corset that arrived yesterday and that fits way better than the hospital one to have a properly-sized one.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear it can still get better I was very upset today that I waited until 10w PP to get the proper binding. I'm devastated it is too late to correct this pooch and hopefully it will get better in the future.
  • Options
    I am due in January.I am having a RCS. My OB said she will remove the extra skin for me at no extra cost. She said it wont be plastic surgery perfect, but I will fit in normal clothes again!! So if you are having RCS in the future, it doesn't hurt to ask :-)
  • Options
    update: i am now 8 months pp and still have my "shelf". i just recently looked into getting that cincher that jessica alba said she wore and not really that specific one but looked into getting a cincher to see if it would help at all (im willing to give anything a try at this point). i had to start out with the 2xl and i have been wearing it for less than 2 weeks and already need to go down a size. so i mean it has def helped. i hear that it is much better to use them right after delivery but i thought i could get rid of my shelf with just diet and exercise but apparently not for me. :/. i got mine from the hourglass angel website and i only have good things to say about it. but i know its not for everyone.
  • Options
    arheins said:
    update: i am now 8 months pp and still have my "shelf". i just recently looked into getting that cincher that jessica alba said she wore and not really that specific one but looked into getting a cincher to see if it would help at all (im willing to give anything a try at this point). i had to start out with the 2xl and i have been wearing it for less than 2 weeks and already need to go down a size. so i mean it has def helped. i hear that it is much better to use them right after delivery but i thought i could get rid of my shelf with just diet and exercise but apparently not for me. :/. i got mine from the hourglass angel website and i only have good things to say about it. but i know its not for everyone.
    Where did you buy it from?
  • Options
    arheinsarheins member
    edited August 2014
    Kriztyn said:
    arheins said:
    Where did you buy it from?
    i bought mine from www.hourglassangel.com my measurments where like an inch over for the 2xl but i got it and i had to lay down to squeeze into it but got it on and its actually surprisingly comfortable. and the one i bought was the cincher by amia. it was like a mid price range. not the cheapest but not the most expensive either
  • Options
    I got rid of mine by working out a lot and wearing a band constantly. I wore the band mostly until I was cleared for exercise. Planks still hurt so I just did a lot of walking with baby outside. Once the belly went down and the incision felt healed enough, I started wearing a waist trainer to get my hourglass figure back. I def recommend wearing something fitted around your belly post Csection. I'm pregnant again with my 2nd. They'll be 13 months apart. I'm so grateful I wore the band because it helped get my muscles together before this second one came along.
  • Options
    khays8785 said:
    11months PP here - I had the "shelf" immediately PP, but it's pretty much gone now, didn't do any particular ab-work for a few months PP..
    This...mine went away by about 9 - 10 months PP with no extra effort.
    IVF #1 - DD born 2011 FET #1-3 all BFN IVF#2- BFP! EDD Nov. 3, 2014 1st US - March 28
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"