May 2014 Moms
Options

What's it like...membrane sweep

I've never had a membrane sweep before, and I want to prepare myself in case my dr wants to do one tomorrow.
I usually have excellent labours, I can talk through my contractions, which feel just different enough from Braxton hicks that I know I'm in labour. Then out of nowhere with only 1-2 contractions they're painful and I've gone from being 5-6 cm to a 10cm and ready to push. So I'm a little worried about getting a sweep done. I hear they make you really crampy? I want to make sure I know when I'm in labour and make it to the hospital on time. I'm also GBS+, not sure if that makes a difference.
So what happened to you after having a sweep done?
I'm 40 weeks today.

Re: What's it like...membrane sweep

• Options
    I had one yesterday. Mine didn't feel much different than a Pap smear as far as discomfort, and I have had no reaction (no cramping, spotting, contractions or other changes). I am 40+3. I think it completely depends upon the individual though as far as what will happen.
  • Options
    sws684sws684 member
    Not bad.. Just a longer cervical check.. Had mild contractions that evening for several hours.. Tiny brown spotting also.. This was yesterday at 40+1.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    jenb_99jenb_99 member
    Many doctors won't offer sweeps to GBS+ patients.

Mine attempted one on me a when I was pregnant with my first, and it felt like a really aggressive cervical check.

DS: 11/8/11 | 9 lb 7 oz, 22 in
    DD: 5/22/14 | 9 lb 9 oz, 21.5 in

• Options
    I wouldn't call them painful, if that's what you're asking. I had one yesterday and it did nothing as far as putting me into labor. I did have some very minor cramping and that was about the extent. I was told that if a sweep were to put you into labor, it would happen within 24-36 hours.
  • Options
    Aggressive cervical check sounds right. It wasn't painful for me, just uncomfortable.

That One Gal From Alaska :)

• Options
    Do you have to be dilated a certain amount for this to work?
  • Options
    Mine felt like prison rape, but I didn't have any contractions after. What a waste!
  • Options
    I had one done Monday. It wasn't bad. It was more uncomfortable than anything but really quick. It did cause me to bleed like I had a light period but only for a couple hours. I didn't get any contractions or cramping from it. Hasn't put me in labor. I read online if your body is ready for labor, there's a 24% chance it'll put you in labor within 48 hours.
  • Options
    For me it was the same as a dilation check. It depends how dilated you are probably. I went into labor later that day!
  • Options
    Asantusa1 said:

Do you have to be dilated a certain amount for this to work?

You have to be dilated enough for them to get their fingertip in there.
  • Options
    Lmomto4Lmomto4 member
    Thanks. Not so sure I want one now. I have a mother daughter night planned with my girls tomorrow and I don't want to spend it all crampy from a sweep especially if the odds are it won't put me into labour anyway.
  • Options
    Had mines done a few hours ago. at first major contractions, now the intensity is dying down. Am going walking to hopefully get the intensity back up again.
  • Options
    I had one with each if my 3 pregnancies and had each baby within 3 days of the sweep. Also not painful like pp have said just uncomfortable. I did spot and get cramps each time. With my sweep this pregnancy I had very intense contractions that night for 5 hours that led to nothing ended up having her 2.5 days later
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    EziliaEzilia member
    A bit painful but not that bad (pain for 1 or 2 minutes). I went in labour the same day I had one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had one done and went in to labor (officially) the next morning at 4 a.m. It think it depends on the doctor. Because the woman who did mine was quick and it was almost painless, but the male doctor hurt like hell and made me bleed

It's a BOY

• Options
    My sweep gave me 2.5 days of on-again-off-again cx and cramps. It was horrible. I could barely sleep and was too uncomfortable to even leave the house. But then my water broke. I still needed pit and itwas aanother 23 hours of labor. I guess it helped labor along but I sometimes wonder if I would have gone into labor anyway on my own just a little later and without the 2.5 days of pain that basically wore me out such that I was exhausted going into real labor. If I am ever pregnant again, I will only have one if I go past my due date.
    IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    didn't hurt for me it was just slightly uncomfortable
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"