May 2014 Moms
Options

Foley Bulb Induction?

I'm being induced tomorrow for being past due and no fetal growth in the past 4 weeks. Because I'm a VBAC patient, Cervadil isn't an option and my MW has recommended the foley bulb and minor pitocin to start the induction process.
Does anyone have experience with this? Was it painful? And did it work?

Re: Foley Bulb Induction?

• Options
    I was induced with a foley bulb with #1. Insertion was not pleasant, but you do what you have to do. My midwife is also about 5'0". She tried for about 20 minutes then asked me of I was ok with her bringing in ob resident on call. He was a tall lanky guy with much bigger hands and had the balloon in on the first try. Hallelujah.

I felt very crampy (didn't realize they were contractions). About an hour in, I got up to pee and the bulb fell out. I freaked a little, but that's what it's supposed to do once you're dilating. I went from 1.5-5 in about an hour.

It was enough to put me into full blown labor and dd was born the next day with no other interventions whatsoever. Overall, a great experience and the most non-induction like induction that one could hope for. Oh, I was 41.6w at the time.

Good luck!

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @miles2go- that's pretty remarkable!

I had my membranes stripped today- it did absolutely nothing. Not even one contraction and it's been 10 hours.
    I have read very positive reviews about the foley bulb- but from my understanding, if your body isn't ready to progress after it comes out, interventions are highly likely. It's nice to read a story where that wasn't the case!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had membranes stripped too, multiple times, and it did NOTHING. of course, I waited as long as they'd let me (42w) to agree to the induction, so my body was definitely ready. The midwife thought I probably would have gone into labor on my own within 24 hours. I'd say, wait as long as you can and you'll have the best chance of it being successful!

imageimage image

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cowpoly959cowpoly959 member
    edited May 2014
    I was induced three weeks ago with a foley bulb. I wasn't able to pee at all so they ended up taking some fluid out of it. It wasnt very comfortable and on top of that it didn't work for me and they brought on labor with cytotek. It wasn't a horrible experience but it didnt progress me very much.
  • Options
    I had it done. Took the midwife 3 attempts to insert it. By the time it came out I was having contractions.. Eh.
  • Options
    I am so, so thankful that my doctors are so willing to work with me. Really, I feel very blessed.
    They are inserting the foley bulb tomorrow night and giving me the option to start PIT along with it (which I'll refuse- I want to see what my body does without it). Hopefully overnight that'll jump start labor on it's own.
    If Thursday morning the bulb is still in place, we will start a very slow PIT drip and see what happens. They'll allow me to do that for 24 hours. Friday morning if I still haven't made any progress at all, they will allow me to go home and wait until Tuesday (41 weeks) and come back to try again or I can opt for a RCS. The ball is completely in my court and I feel very lucky.
    I have tried SO hard for an unmedicated VBAC and my doctor
  • Options
    I had a foley bulb with a slow drip of pitocin when i was preg with DS #1. I was 38 wks and being induced for pre-e. I went from 2 cms before the bulb and pitocin at like 10pm and by the time my ob checked me in the morning I was at 8 cm. Foley came out increased pitocin, but didn't progress any further because DS was too big and was stuck in my pelvis. The whole thing really wasn't bad, and if I were told that I could have a small enough baby to pass through my pelvis I'd do it again in a heart beat if needed to help with progression. Good luck!!! You'll do great!
  • Options
    Lild09Lild09 member
    That's how I was induced and it got me to 3 cm, however I also was given max Pitt too (slowly raised) but I never progressed past 3-4 cm and 75% effaced so I needed a c section!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    dwnsldedwnslde member
    I had it placed after cytotec got me dilated enough, insertion was fine when the OB did it (a resident tried and failed miserably for me). Felt so weird when it fell out as I had to pee, but just awkward, not painful. I did have pitocin after.

I go in some time this evening to get checked. They may send me home and have me come back in the morning to do Pit or they will insert the foley bulb. Not sure what happens after that... Will let you know.
  • Options
    UPDATE:
    I came in last night around 5pm to start the induction process. At approximately 6:30- my doctor came in and started inserting the foley bulb.
    I can honestly say- that was single handedly the most painful insertion of anything up there.. Ever. I don't know if it's because I was tense or because my cervix was just so high up there still but I felt like she had no mercy when inserting the actual catheter and then when the bulbs were filled- there was no 'taking her time'- it was 80cc's and just shoved in there as fast as she could. So naturally, I'm in tears, my body starts contracting immediately but I couldn't tell if I was actually having 'real' contractions or if I was in pain from something foreign being shoved up there so aggressively.
    Anyhow- I was in fact contracting 4-6 minutes apart, lasting about 30-45 seconds. I was given Ambien to sleep and absolutely everything stopped. I haven't had one contraction since about 11p..so to say I'm frustrated is an understatement. Sigggghhh.
  • Options
    dwnsldedwnslde member
    Hugs! I got mine put in last night, I was supposed to be monitored for about 30 minutes before they put it in, apparently 3 women came in about to push out their babies so I sat for an hour and a half.... Doctor came in, didn't say hi, didn't introduce himself outside of the nurse telling me he was coming in as he walked through the door. Twice said "oh I have never done it that way before, in reference the bed being flat or sitting down when he actually inserted the bulb..." I was having a few WTF moments.

Also given ambien, which helped a bit, had to pee a bunch. Woke up with the sun, going to shower get something to eat and head back in soon.

Best of luck to you!!!!
  • Options
    I was induced at 41+1. They started with cytotech but I was contracting too frequently so they ended up using the foley balloon. I'm not going to lie - the insertion is not pleasant nor is it quick. It can be very painful, especially if you're not dilated, which I was not. Once it is in, it's uncomfortable but it really works. I went from a fingertip to 5 cm in 8 hours. I would definitely say it's worth it though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Sorry just read your update. Same exact thing happened to me. My contractions stopped but I was 5 cm dilated. That's when they started the pitocin and the real fun began. Hang in there! It's a long process but so, so worth it in the end!

• Options
    BKD1386BKD1386 member
    edited May 2014
    They used a foley bulb on me too... and left it in along with running pitocin for 24 hours (after 12 hrs of Cervadil) and I was still barely dilated to 1cm.  I had strong contrations that were close together... they just weren't doing anything.  They only used 40cc's of fluid though... I can't imagine 80 you poor thing!!  Mine hurt like hell too!!  Ended up with a c-section.  I hope everything went well for you!!!

edited cause I still have pregnancy brain  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

May 14 November Siggy Challenge: Least Favorite Part of the Holiday Season

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    After all, I ended up with a RCS.
    This birth story was long and heinous but it's seriously amazing how soon you forget once your LO is with you!
  • Options
    MwyldMwyld member
    I had a foley bulb induction and the insertion was probably the worst experience of the whole thing. I never dilated past 3cm and ended up with a c-section 15 hours later
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"